Participation of children in online community

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Is it advisable to let children to participate in online community. I raise this question after yesterday's meet at Bangalore when I realized that organizer was a school girl. If Indiblogger facilitates interaction of children with adult strangers and in person meetings, will Indiblogger take responsibility for their safety? I am not sure how communities in general handle the issue of participation from minors? Vews are welcome.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: grammar correction
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Organizing the meet is something that children, enthusiastic in their effort to connect, do at times. I remember another friend who did the same, but it was with the parents knowledge and the parent called me before the meet, and also attendted the meet up when it happened. I do know bloggers of younger age than sixteen too, and I know the parents are quite upto speed as to who the child is contacting. The children nowadays, (atleast most of the ones I know), are quite concerned of their own safety and they would always deny the contact information etc. if asked of them. The two or three I've met have only met with us online friends (even be it strangers if u would) during this meet ups and not at all discussed their private details like where they stay, or their numbers or anything such. 

Youngsters can be a part of community meetup, but disclosing their personal details to people who they'd never again, or rarely if any, meet... which could harm their safety is I think, and I know, to be wrong. 

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

oh. I hasten to add, it depends on the parents and concerned minor blogger too, how safe they can make their details. they dont need a blogger meetup organized to give strangers their contact details and sacrifice their safety, they can do that through a blog easily. to bar them from meetups is not a solution for safety. IMHO.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Well, I beleive parents should monitor therir children's blogs also. These things can be pretty risky, especially in a remote location with less participation. You know better than any one what can go wrong. You have written stories on such things. Why don't you pass on the link of your story to your young friend here.

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I am with vinay here.

I know you didnt address this directly to me and to all of young children but I think I'm giving the answers from all their side as well.

When we start something like this, a public meeting we do it with our parents permission. Without their permission we wont and we do care for our safety. If I really hadnt cared for my safety I would have given you all my numbers. Even though I know it will be troublesome for you guys, I didnt put it up.

Moreover, just because they are youngsters you cant ask them not to socialize itself. Would you feel good if your kids were Emo and always felt lonely? Meeting up and getting to know each other is a good thing if its done in its limits. And obviously we know our limits(I dont mean each and every single one but yes some do know). Bloggers meet is not just to chat and have fun but also to improve yourself and to get some nice reviews. Its also a nice way to get a chance to speak out without hesitating or getting scared. Its really a great way for us to learn and improve ourselves.

Well this is my view.

I'm really sorry about me not making to the meet.

Thank you.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Well, I didn't want to talk to you as I know that age. You will obviously not want strangers preaching to you. But I am just a bit concerned about the trend. Next a younger kid may even give out her number. Who knows. Youngsters exposing themselves can be really risky. You never know what kind of characters are lurking around.

By the way, I don't find you are that careful wither. You are giving away too many personaly details on your blog.

And don't think you acted very smart. If I had been a shady character, I could have easily come to the meet, pretended to be decent and acquired your number from one of the members who did have your number and then have stalked you.

I am a little bit pissed about you organizing the meet in Banashankari, goofing up the landmark and finally not turning up. But that did not make me post this.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Personal Details? Really??

My FB id? Gosh! If people send req, I can delete it and Ban them.!

Actually No one but ONE had my number! And whatever you had done they wouldnt have given it to you. I know that person from a long time and she/he is not someone who will deceive. Actually me myself took Pavithra's number so that I could call you guys.

I know, I am sorry. I kept it here because all previous meets were in North Bangalore. I had given the perfect landmark and had also informed the CCD people. Even now I can take you there and prove it to you. Anyways its not a fight, So leave it. 

I know that was not the reason you post this, you want us to be secure and all but I think ANTARA answered it to you.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Anyways I am glad to know that you are being careful.

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Indiblogger would be in big soup, if parents are not kept in loop of them attending meets, TF. I agree it is a very risky thing, but how would u suggest Indi verify that the blogger is actually under 18? There are accounts on FB, Orkut etc too which are owned by under 18s. On a face to face basis, there are documents like 10th marks card etc. that verify that the person is who they say they are.. but to implement such on an online social community website like FB or Orkut and similarly Indiblogger isn't plausible, esp. since there is no way to verify if they are legitimate even if the documents are scanned and uploaded. If I were a new blogger and came across the name The Fool on Indiblogger or randomly visiting, then I'd be unaware of even if u r guy or girl, if u r 8 or 18 or 80..  the protection of the child is with the parents, and organizing or attending meets with random strangers (if and truly felt needed) should be with their knowledge and in their presence I feel. Since u put up this thread, I had asked few of my younger friends' parents the same, and they told that too.. if they are enthusiastic in meeting, and in their blogging, a bar on the meet is not the way to enforce safety, rather they'd accompany their children to the meet so as to be sure no privacy information passes hands.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Just get a declaration stating person is above 18 years of age in the terms and conditions. If violation is discovered, members can report to Indipolice. If person lies all details, his or her identity will be protected. At least some kind of check.

If Indiblogger wants to go out of the way to let children be on forum, have children submit parent e-mail id and regularly send notifications to parents of children's activities.

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

OK. Am a teen, registering on a site and it says over 18 only. I can violate it and declare am 18 over and register. Site cannot go verify it. Even that some sort of check. Who will discover violation, TF? There is accounts on FB for a two year old baby, far less than a teen. Children submit parent e-mail ID.. an e-mail is possible to create by anyone. Like my communication networks lect said, any six year old with a laptop can create a website, never mind an e-mail. Site can authenticate that it is actually parent's e-mail?

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Nothing foolproof. Just some mechanism to get the message across that Indiblogger does not encourage children to interact indiscriminately with adult strangers without their parents knowledge. Even Sorcerer's idea is good. Neways idea is not to keep kids out. Just to ensure their safety. I have nothing against kids. In fact I had even interviewed with a 17 year old CEO of a company.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@Sorecerer - The issue I am raising is not far fletched. In B school, when did a case on Sims game online version launch, the issue of children's safety was one of the things discussed at length.

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

i remember a debate competition that i participated in ,many years ago.

Though my ideas were not very well  formed at that time and i was naive, one point that helped me win was

Will you let your kids go out to market/places/trips alone without supervision?If not then do realise that internet is WWW world wide web,its teh whole world out there.

Parents need to follow the same set of procedures /safety measures and supervision when they let them go.

Like parents teach kids to not talk o strangers , similar thing should be followed onlin also.AT the end of teh day, its the respinsibility of parents to keep a check.

Some children are ready early(maybe the kids rganising indi blogger) som take time. Ultimatly its teh upbringing and parental supervsion that is the utmost important thing.

Online communities cannot really ban users ,but yes their resposnibility is to have enough protective measures in place in case abuse/bullying/exploitation is reported. They need to be proactive, something like facebook has started doing. 

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Exactly my point

Antara
Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

Ok. So I am 17 (almost 18...but when I started blogging I was way younger). I absolutely agree that one must be careful while divulging personal information.

But wholesale banning of bloggers from Indi because they are below 18? I think that is slightly too harsh.

I agree about the personal information part. But different people have different opinions on that. Some want to be open, some don't. Whatever works for the person.

And then again...how is an 18 (or even 19 or 20) year old more mature than a 17 year old? An age is no marker for maturity. Not 18 years at least. The thing about a shady character using ones number and stalking him/her...that is as much applicable to a 19-20 year old as a 16-17 year old.

And about being able to organise and all...mistakes happen I guess. And that is not confined to some age group.

So that 18 years and above part is not something I am enthusiastic about. And I would say that even if I was 20.

~A

Thousif Raza M.B
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ antara: brilliantly put... :) thats the way it should be :)

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

See, the whole reason why one diffentiates between children from adults is personal opinion in general is likely to be more well thought out in case of adults. Individual differences can always be pointed out. Adults - if they make mistakes should be ready to face the consequences. Parents and society in general will like to protect children from consequence of decisions by curtailing decision taking opportunities. And age limit is decided by government. No arguments on that is productive. Today you say 17, Pooja says 16, someone else will say 12 is mature and maybe a very smart tyke will say he or she has become mature at 10. I just considered outright ban without parent permission as an option. But not saying thats how it must be. What is necessary is some safeguards. Children can not be indiscriminately encouraged to mingle with unknown adults without safeguards. Anyways I expressed my opinion. If parents, children and forum are willing to to take the risk, so be it. I have nothing to gain becoming enemy of all teenagers.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I love you dear. I just love you :D :P.

U have put out what I wanted to say

Antara
Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

I am not saying 17 years is the maturity line. What am I asking is what is?

And why ban young bloggers from Indi? IndiMeets is part of Indi but not Indi itself.

And how do you  know that these 'children' are not being mature enough and telling their parents?

I understand and agree that safety measures should be taken. Absolutely yes. What am I saying is that a ban is silly.

And I am not saying you are an enemy of all teenagers :P What I am asking is how do you say who are 'children' and who are 'adults'?

Just the same way that you say that many 16-17 year olds are not mature enough to handle such stuff (which yes, is true), I too can say that there are numerous 20 year olds who ask for trouble. I am sure their parents feel as much worry as the parents' of 16 year olds and wouldn't want stalkers.

Put safeguards on IndiMeets. But why ban bloggers from Indi in general?

~A

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Ban was an idea. Not saying it should be done. In specific cases 11 year old can be mature than a 40 year old. But laws are made for general case than specific case. This whole thing is not about you or Pooja. There might be others of your age, who may not have the same maturity. How does one diffrentiate?

Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

I know it's not about me or Pooja. (I mean I'll turn 18 in a month :P)

And in fact I agree with you wholeheartedly on the safety issue. I wouldn't divulge personal information myself right now. 18 or otherwise.

So let the safety measures be taken when it comes to IndiMeets.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Ok first of allSurprised M 17Tongue out.

And as I already stated, My parents know about it. They were ok with sending me on the meetWink.

And anyway, I agree with your concern for us, but Ban from Indi?? I dont think so. 

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ Pooja - I am not saying minors should be banned. Just an idea. Other safety measures are fine. I never mentioned anything about banning in the initial post. But Leo mentioned about kids being at risk just by being online. I said rather than says just because kids are risk by being online, let them be at risk in meets also instead get rid of the risk of their being online as well. This is just discussion. I have given my views. Others have given theirs. You both have given your views from a minor's perspective. I am sure Indiblogger can explore what is best to be done.

Except for the first 2-3 posts yesterday morning, there was nothing against you. And for those posts I have said I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings on the Bangalore meet thread. This is a genuine exploration of the safety issue.

Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

@The Fool I do agree with you on the Meet part.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I know yaar. I know you are saying this for everyone.

I know you are concerned about our safety. If you were not you wouldnt have gone upto making a thread to express your views.

I can understand that.

You cant actuallt say socializing in schools and college is good as well. People may meet some others who teach them all bad things. We need to think before we accept someone's friendship. Its the same here. As long as you dont give out your personal details and photos you are safe on net. 

Net is made to be benefited with not mis-used. I agree some people mis-use it and then regret it. But it depends on their thinking sense and maturity. A minor maybe more mature than an adult.

My point is, as long as you know you wont be harmed then its ok. I know you cant know for sure, but if you trust atleast some persons then you are safe. 

Everything you do in life has risk. Sometimes you just have to be dared enough to take it up as a challenge. Risk is unavoidable as you know. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread