Lesson learned: Do not register all your domain names under same account

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

I learnt a good lesson from the dispute by Microsoft on my domain names - Never register all of your domains under the same account and under same email address.

What happened in my case was, Microsoft found trademark violation on one domain name. Then they reviewed all of the domains registered under my same email address and under same credentials. Then they issued a single notice to all domains in my name, which include same trademark name.

If I had those domains with different registered email address under different email ids, probably they wouldn't have gone after them all at the same time.

Probably it is a good idea to ue the email address like webmaster@<sitename>.com or something like that instead of having a single email address for all of your domain registration information.

Also, I have decided to separate my primary domains and undeveloped domains to different GoDaddy accounts to protect part of my business just in case something goes wrong with some or other domains. I am afraid in case of a lawsuite, GoDaddy would lock out my entire account even though it hasn't happened yet and there is no solid evidence to show that it could happen.

Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Descending
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Well this is flip side of successful domain even though it violates copyright and patent.  I believe it is lesson well learnt and would serve as caution for others, don t go after piggy back riding on the famous brand names.

Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

Violation of copyright or patent is just one scenario, which I found out from my case. There could be numerous other reasons one of your websites get in to trouble and I think it will be safe to separate sites so that they won't affect each other in case of any legal/other issues. May be a competitor or hacker decide to target your sites or a legal agency decide to audit your sites and so on... 

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Hmm! Something to keep in mind from now on I guess!

LockSign in to reply to this thread