Can Earning from Blogs be considered Parallel Employment ?

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

I came across someone who has been fired from his job because he held the position of a Director in a start up while still working for another company. 

This made me think. Many of the bloggers earn from their blogs, either by adsense or sponsored posts. Does this also violate the "No Parallel Employment" or 'No Compete" clauses in out employment agreement ? What if the line of blogging is no where related to the company?

What to do in such a case ?

Anyone who knows about this ? Any HR folks ?

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Blogging people generally earn nil miniscule amount. Some who earn grandly are techies, who are prudent enough to leave no trackbacks on them.
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

It is impossible to leave no tracks behind. The money gets credited in bank, the paypal ledger is there. Moreover. in a no parllel employment clause, there is no mention of profits. If I have another business which is running in loss, it is still another business. Hence my doubt.

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Purnendu As per Indian laws Creative Writing is not called a employment hence it cant be considered that.  Even Govt officials are allowed to write and get honarium in lieu of it 

Private cos may take offence if you are putting up same stuff they do (conflict of interest case) but if you are into personal blogging I think there should be no worries.  I have seen a Infy guy run a parallel Infyfriends blog without any prob.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

This I was not aware of.

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Thanks Vijay, another question. Will this include sponsored posts and ads too ?

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Purnendu the ads and sponspored start appearing because of your writing skills dont they?  So they would be counted a gratification of creative services rendered hence don't matter.  Its like writing a article for a newspaper and getting paid for it (tax free) Wink

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

VP, it's not tax free though. When you write sponsored posts for good company, they will deduct around 10% as you will be deemed contractor or something. Last year when I was freelancing and I was doing work for American magazine, they deducted around 12% of my pay. I had to reclaim it from the Indian Tax department. Yell

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Yes, they deduct around 20% as tax deducted at source. No issues with that. 

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

See for the peanuts blogging earns you, it will be uncessarily trouble if you have investigations from your employer and tax authorities. That is why I have kept my blog free of revenues. 

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

The Fool, Its not giving me peanuts, and thats the problem. This year I will need to file IT returns and pay tax on it :(

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

In that case - it can be troublesome, Purnendu. I hope you can prove you have not used your office time or company lap top for anything related to your blog. If you have, company can claim ownership over the content.

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

That I do not. Office doesn't give me time to breathe, leave alone time to write posts Laughing

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
10 years ago

In most cases, blogging will not be considered as parallel employment. However, if your employer find that you are more interested in your blog than your primary job, you may get into trouble. I have been running the blogs for several years and my employer knew about it. Luckly, I didn't get fired. 

In USA, I have seen numerous times, the Americans write blogs while in the office and especially when they are attending the meetings. They make no money out of it and they don't try to hide their blogs. In fact, they proudly show their blogs  to others. But we Indians usually hide the blogs and never open it up in front of other emplyees, even though many of us secretly prepare blogs when no one is around :-)

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

In that case I may be safe. I do not blog in office hours :)

LockSign in to reply to this thread