A List of Prizes That We Don't Ever Want To Win!

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Until I received The Hobbit's diary for winning The Character contest, I never thought I'll find anything that I'd never want for free. But surprise, surprise! This prize proved me wrong Undecided Before anybody starts labeling me as ungrateful winner, let me tell you something about the diary that we supposedly "won" after weaving beautiful stories.

The diary is made of cardboard and poor quality paper. Only the cover page has the movie's cover as you can see on the contest page. Inside, the diary just has plain white papers with "The Hobbit" written on the top corners. If this diary is put in the market for sale, I don't think anyone would pay more than 100 bucks for it.

Also, if anybody says we already knew about the prizes before participating, let me tell you I expected better quality diary. There are diaries worth thousands of rupees and diaries worth measly bucks. This diary unforunately falls in the latter category. I don't know how many winners are actually "happy" winning it but at least I am not. Yell

So back to the purpose of the thread: what do we don't want to win in contests? Maybe this thread will help the sponsors in deciding what they should offer as prizes and what not. I am sure we don't want more prizes like The Hobbit's diary in future, do we?

Replies 1 to 17 of 17 Descending
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Also, if anybody says we already knew about the prizes before participating

I said that B-)

I don't want to win lakme T shirts. :|

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Tongue outLaughing

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Imagine Ranjith wearing pink lakme tees, featuring lakme products on the back and lakme logo in the front :))

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I can imagine R in that =))=))=))

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

how can u imagine...we've not even seen his face yetUndecided

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

ND, I still can...like animation thingie Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

It is white T shirt with Lakme written in light orange and a logo of IndiBlogger Tongue out

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Huh...that's boring Undecided

Razi
from Malappuram
10 years ago

CK.. Lmao Tongue out

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

It is white T shirt with Lakme written in light orange and a logo of IndiBlogger Tongue out

Ranjith, maybe, they didn't show the entire stuff in the pictures, like the Hobbit's thingie :))

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

As far as I remember there didn't post any pictures of it on the contest page Tongue out

Bushra M
Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Whatever be it, I surely don't want to win a 'Diary' from next time! 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

My sentiments exactly Smile

Shruti
Shruti
from Kolkata
10 years ago

I agree with you Pankti.. that wasn't a prize you expect from the likes of a competition at IndiB.. the diary wasn't really a diary... I love all gifts... but that did seem like a disappointment.. We could have something better.. it looks more of a participation prize than something to aard the posts that have won.. even a die hard hobbit fan is not likely to be really thrilled with the diary... yet, they've given something and that matters a bit, if not much... I personally believe there is nothing wrong in having such gifts because gifts are more about sentiments than price.. but, in such cases,a  better transparency is so much more appreciated so that we don't end up making castles in air :)

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Yes. Had I known about the quality and type of diary I would be receiving in case I win, I wouldn't have felt this bad. Cry

Shruti
Shruti
from Kolkata
10 years ago

exactly and then the hype, the delay and the big zingy feeling of what the hobbit diary is going to be like... felt like we dug a mountain out of molehill :D

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

khoda pahad nilka chuhaTongue outCool

I think even Renie had no idea how the diary looks. In the contest thread itself, he mentioned that he could not find any google images for the diary and hence felt it must be a rare one. Looks like it was indeed a rare one. Tongue out

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Undecided

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

The diary was manufactured by the sponsor(Harper Collins) itself. If not Renie, at least the sponsors were aware of what they are manufacturing! 

The 'Limited edition' hype was a tad too much... 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I seriously want to know who at HC thought this was a cool diary :-w:-w:-w

Arindam Sarkar
from Kolkata
10 years ago
Well, I guess they made one that is at the very "limit" of quality. ;)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

NSV Good Investigation Tongue out

Anita
Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

Sorry to learn about this, Pankti.

After such sincere effort & high hopes of participating & somehow managing to win a big contest, hope everyone gets at least their time & hardwork's value/worth as prize. Wish we had multiple choices/options to pick & choose whatever we want out of a huge list!!! Money mouth

Wishful thinking! Cool

Arindam Sarkar
from Kolkata
10 years ago
Flipkart vouchers are ideal. :)
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

This is indeed a sorry situation and that's why wanted to create this thread. At least sponsors should know what works for us and what not.

Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

@Pankti Glad you did! Arvind Passey has a similar thread a year ago!

@AS- But, our choices are constrained to only 1 seller- WS Retail.

Also, to use up a voucher, I end up spending more! I'd so like the cash equivalent directly credited to my bank-account!

Then, i have the option to spend the exact amount - either online or in-store- using my credit-card!

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I guess that's too much to expect, although it's an ideal prize.

Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

Yes Pankti, Either give us a list from which we just choose what we want, else most ideal- credit the cash-prize directly!

No pains to track prize-delivery or to redeem prize-voucher! Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Glad you did! Arvind Passey has a similar thread a year ago!

Which one? Innocent

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

It's the best idea indeed Cool

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

R, I think she's referring to that thread about prizes that we would like to win. Smile

Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

Yes, Pankti, you are right! I was referring to that one only! I discovered it some weeks ago & my comment is towards the end! I happily posted in it Smile

Ranjipedia knows all the answers, right? Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Tongue out

I thought you were talking about some other thread Cool

Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

No Ranjith, That thread only! That has huge wish-lists of everyone-

What prizes we want from contests! Hope all our ideas are implemented soon :)

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

ok... 

Tarun Singh
Tarun Singh
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Flipkart vouchers are best :)

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I think Flipkart vouchers are the most popular prizes after cash. Smile

Nisha
Nisha
from Lucknow
10 years ago

I'm sure the diaries would have been a disappointment. And I'm not sure how many of us would like to win a Vespa, recliner, speakers or those smartphone watches.  Agree with Tarun and Arindam, Flipkart vouchers are ideal. Its best to let the winners decide what they want to buy. Other than that, maybe mobile phones are ok - easier to sell off if you already have the same one!

Bushra M
Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

The biggest and MOST annoying thing I would like to add to this list is Music CDs. They make my blood boil... Such a BIG waste of time, Courier money and and what not! Trust me! Music CDs are far more annoying than Diaries. While diaries can still be used, music CDs go straight to my junk bin as I really don't have place to store them!Yell

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Which contest had music CDs? Innocent

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Yeah....I don't remember in any contest (of course since I joined IB) wherein music CDs were the prizes. Innocent

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

@Ranjith and fairy - I think she is talking about lot of non blogger contests that happen on Twitter and FB. 

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Exactly TF! You are right! Most of these Twitter/FB people give CdsUndecided

R and FP - Kabhi toh Indiblogger ke bahar socha karoTongue out

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

lol...why u take part in such contests?? they tell u beforehand what the prizes are isnt it?

Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

ND, Sometimes they mention the prizes as 'exciting goodies'!

Then, you know what to expect! CDs/Mugs/T-shirts... Innocent

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

lol...:)) ...thats why i never take part in those stupid twitter/fb contestsCool i'd never win them anywaysUndecided

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

BM, I can't think out of IB cause I don't take part anywhere else Tongue out

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

No ND... Why would I ake part if they say so! All they say is win BIG or win exciting goodies!Undecided

Anita you are right...Innocent

FPTongue out

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

No USB 2.0 Flash drives. Give away real USB 3.0 flash drives with minimum 40- 50MB/s write speed.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Eh? Innocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Completely remove pen drives as participation prizes. Cool What do we ( those who received them Undecided ) do with so many pen drives? Money mouth

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

What do we do with so many pen drives?

store moviesMoney mouthCool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

What to do with those stored movies? Undecided

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

watch them again and again,Money mouth store them for our future generationCool

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

No Vespa only Amaze or Etios Cool

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Undecided

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Only Audi's Undecided

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I think a Ferrari is bigger and cooler...Kiss

Anita
from Bhubaneswar
10 years ago

The participation will jump up manifold for such swanky prizes! Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Cool

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

Cool!

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Cash prizes won't work for the following reasons

1. The winner prizes I think sponsors prefer something symbolic rather than giving out money as there is lot of buzz around the prizes. Just plain cash for every contest will make it drab.

2. Instead of vouchers cash can be given as vouchers have no symbolic value. But for that we have to share our bank account details with the sponsors. Not sure how many of us will be excited about sharing bank account details with Indiblogger and sponsors. 

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

you are right, maybe cheques wd be better. 8-].

Sincerely, SSP  - Shameless Smiley Promoter  8-P

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

How about checks? They can give big ones like in cricket matches and other one the normal ones that we can deposit in our account? Innocent

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

R o.O

Agree with TF. We walk about macbooks and S4's but not about the 50k and 10k vouchers Undecided

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i like paypalKissMoney mouthCool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I don't like paypal. It asks for my pan number. Undecided

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i have payal, so i like itKissMoney mouthKiss

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Undecided

Avadhoot
from Jabalpur
10 years ago

R: apply for the pan it just takes few to days to get the same. Wink

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I'll apply in my vacations. Laughing All my id poofs are at my home Innocent

Madhu Bhardwaj
Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
@FP bummer that the Hobbit diary is bad. But the character that you created for it was really Dhansu and will stay in many stories I think, so that is your real payback. To answer your question, I think pen drives are a strict no no. So are merchant specific vouchers. One just buys for the sake of buying ending up with unwanted stuff just because it was free or almost free. It would be great fun if some sponsors come up with prizes that are in the form of payment for language courses, adventure camps and leadership trAining sessions.
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Awww.....Madhu. Thanks for loving my story Kiss

Saket Kalikar
Saket Kalikar
from Hyderabad
10 years ago

Laughing

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

?????

Saket Kalikar
from Hyderabad
10 years ago

@FP, my Laughing was a reply for ND's previous comment about vegetarian diary. Too bad that it got posted as a seperate comment.Foot in mouth

Feel bad to hear about your disappintment with the prize.

I haven't won anything in Indi yet but would hate to get such a prize.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Saket, this is my first and only win on IB until now...and just see what I ended up with CryUndecided

I remember having won t shirts in bulk. First t shirt i Wore and intelligent servant washed it along with other clothes dying all of them in red color. Servants are precious finds, so no scolding there. Indie is more precious, as laptop may come up 10 years down the line., so in a nut shell scolding poor luck was the only option.
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Frown

Heena Dhedhi
Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

oh... i didnt take part as i omehow missed the email. but a low quality diary? oh come on..

and fb and twitter too give out great prizes... have won gold/silver coins, electronic items and loads of gift vouchers.... 

for one contest i won a goldcoin embossed with my dughter's picture i sent. it's magical whenever i look at it. 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Heena, where should I come to show you the diary? Undecided

On a serious note, I don't know about Twitter and FB contests as I don't participate there. My only issue is the low-quality prizes that we are better off without Smile

Heena Dhedhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

i agree... thats not done. Indibligger has a responsibiity towards us... they need to maintain the prize quality whoever the sponsor. 

Sherna Jayaraman
Sherna Jayaraman
from Hyderabad
10 years ago

Pendrives are the latest no no as a prize!

LockSign in to reply to this thread