What should we call this?? He stole my photographs!!!

Soma
Soma
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

This category(Blogging ethics) seemed to be the best place to post this topic.

Recently I came across a blog post by a fellow blogger(who flaunts several blogging awards in his blog page); and to my utter shock, I found that every photograph(except two) are mine. He has done this without taking any prior permission from me; he hasn't even shown the slightest courtesy to acknoledge this fact.

I do not have the proper word to describe this sort of behavior ( the proper words might sound harsh).

My blog(Original source): http://thetravellerweare.blogspot.in/2011/09/nandi-hills-yet-another-ancient-hill.html

Copy-paste(stolen pictures) blog: http://hisinception.wordpress.com/2013/07/17/nandi-hills-a-detour-from-a-bustling-city/

I even have the original RAW photographs to prove my point.

Regards,

Soma Ghosh 

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending

Watermark your photos next time. Ask that blogger to remove those photographs or to mention your name ( and of course your blog ) as photo courtsey . Personally I think he should also apologize for emplying such chicanery.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Well - this is best you can do - expose the person in public. Guess this should do the trick. 

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
10 years ago

Hey Soma, would you mind emailing one of the raw images to indi@indiblogger.in? If it's too big, you could use also use wetransfer...

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

SurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprisedSurprised

I'm glad Renie is looking into it...

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

One of the reasons why people around the world share only watermarked pictures over the internet.

Seems this is a clear case of IPR violation. Even if these are areas accessible to almost everyone, and one can expect similar shots too, but, not so many, with each and every feature completely matching, except a lossy jpeg compression in the copied one that's reducing the quality and clarity of the images.

I'll suggest everyone to please do use some good watermarking softwares to watermark your pics. You can make use of photoshop to create translucent watermarks with a .PNG extension and transparent background and use this image as a watermark for your images, before uploading. For now, I am using uMark. This is a good software even in demo version, as it is quite helpful in getting the job done easily.

Furthermore, as you've been suggested, try contacting the blogger, asking him to remove the contents, and if he doesn not oblige, you can try lodging a DMCA IPR Violation Complaint at wordpress.com. Read some helpful content here. You can access the complaint form here. Since the blog seems to be hosted on Wordpress.com, it should be easier for WP to get the content/blog removed.

Soma
Soma
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Thank you very much everyone for your support. I agree with you regarding the water mark aspect, and now a days I do use it.

The only reason I try not to use watermark is because it distracts the viewer sometimes; but then you cant help,but use it.

I have mailed one of the RAW files to admin. I am also providing a link to my facebook album where I published these photos on the day the pictures were taken.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150367444583060.409177.613628059&type=1&l=aaee4f3ce3

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Hey Soma, Inditeam will take action against the guy if he has indeed plagarised your content.  If you want to take down the post or blog itself under DCMA visit this place >

http://en.support.wordpress.com/content-theft-what-to-do/

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
10 years ago

Got the raw file, looks legit, plagiarist's blog rejected.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nice and quick work Renie hope these prompt actions will deter future plagarists Cool

Quick action, but I feel sorry for the deleted blog. Was he/ she given a notice to repeal his act. God knows. But I still see content fabrictors enjoying tthe privilege of inspiration.
Someone is Special
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Great Renie!

That was really quick ! Thanks to Renie and IB team Smile

Poor guy kicked off the nandi hills
But the plag has atleast got one thing, he must have got crazy number of hits at his blog.
Soma
Soma
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Thank you very much Renie and Indiblogger Team. It's not just that you banned the blogger, but your support in this regard is something I'll remember for ever.

As per your suggestion, I've also informed wordpress team as well as google indexing team reagarding this event.

Once again, thanks a lot everyone for the warm support.

LockSign in to reply to this thread