Healthy Thread locking, purpose accomplishments and alternative ways, a debate.

Locking of thread gives the thread originator a set back. Enthusiasm gets dampened. Etc. etc. Spam thread should be deleted or locked, but other threads where, mission accomplished hence locked or event over, so locked. Are these required on forum. There can be other ways out for such thread other than locking, like transfer to general topic etc.

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Good idea. Maybe next time on we should move mission acomplished threads into General and Offtopic. Anyway no one reads General and Off topic. So that area doesn't need much policing unless specific complaint is received. But that is my opinion - not the opinion of admins or other Indipolice. If everyone agrees, we can move unwanted things off to general and off topics.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I will create a thread listing all threads that have to be moved to General and Off Topic and you will get bored Tongue out

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

No, no - Please no.

TF is already lagging behind in deleting Blog review spam threads....Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Yes. and I still didn't start my contribution to that thread Tongue out

The lock beside the thread looks awkward. It gives the impression of some mischief.
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Sure Rio - Will raise issue with the team.

Thanks Fool,
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I liked that April Fools thread.  :((

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

But we can't be fooling through the year.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

But we can keep fooling throughout april Tongue out I thought that you like AF days. Innocent

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Everybody likes birthdays, Ranjith. Doesn't mean you can celebrate birth month.

Who said you can keep fooling around throughout april Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Wrong thread for me. 

Cool

knitha.urs
knitha.urs
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I liked it too :(

Thanks knitha for the support.
Or a new category can be made, "moved threads"
Or all threads going to page 2 or three automatically go to "moved threads" category, so less hassle for IP to track down mission accomplished threads.
CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

I think there are way too many enthusiastic IndiBloggers to dig out unlocked old threads, wake the thread of it's deep sleep, and also wake up the thread creator and the participants and post their blog links in there, citing examples of how people shared their blog links 3-4 years ago. I support threads having served their purpose, be locked, so that no one except an IP would be able to unlock and revive it.

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Besides that, I think the thread creator knows when his/her thread serves its purpose and that he/she should be ready for it to be locked, leaving no scope for dampening of enthusiasm or a set back because his/her thread was locked for accomplishing it's purpose.

the talk is for spam free healthy threads. spammed threads can be dealt in any manner, no issues. serving purpose thing is vague and debatable. to some it may look purpose done, but to the creator or responder some purpose may be left. 

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

Point taken, sir.

However, in support of my point, I'd like to put up some examples - Like if we consider this very thread as an example, I believe you too are looking for some resolutions to your query, or suggestions from the members, which you believe would help the admins resolve the "issue". I believe you too won't like the discussion to go on for months or years altogether, would you, if you get enough suggestions or the admins choose to accept or deny the suggestions?

Similarly, I posted a few threads, one of them, while working with the Blogger search in URL, I got stuck at a point, and I put up a thread, asking for a few resolutions. Help poured in, and I got the resolution to the issue. That was a point when I thought that the thread served its purpose and should be locked.

My point was, a thread where discussion no longer takes place and it isn't locked either, is a place for us to do whatever we want, even some things that are not allowed today, but were allowed at the time the thread was started or when discussion on that thread took place.

CK, moving the resolved healthy thread to another dormant category will not harm forum main page at all. This can either be done by thread creator if he feels mission accomplished or IP. Lock beside thread on main page gives a bad impression. This is my pov.
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I understand, Rio. One gentleman by name Jaykumar Menon who used to frequent Indiblogger earlier on used to fight with me a lot on this count. Though I feel Locking is nothing negative, lot of members seem to feel that way for some reason.

True, @the fool, it is a public forum and mentalities differ with person to person. If it is not a hienous crime, one should get some liberty.
Double entry edited
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

I agree, sir,  that locking of a thread gives an impression that there must be something wrong going on in the thread, but, can we not lock a thread by editing the thread title?

Like prefixing something like - "RESOLVED" or something like that so that even if someone looks at the thread title, it clearly explains why the thread has been locked, as they do on numerous other forums.

Apart from that, I suggest locking of some threads that do not see any activity for a certain period of time, say, 6 months or 1 year or so, so that dead threads aren't woken up by SSP enthusiasts!

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Good Idea. Marking it thus gives the thread creators control and they will not feel so hurt. It also gives us chances to clean up the forum together and keep it full of up to date information. I changed my April Fool thread title to Please delete this and did not feel offended but rather pleased that Indipolice followed my instructions with remarkable efficiency and determination and singleminded dedication. It is a matter of great pride to me to be protected by a policeforce that not only protects me but also helps me with vacuumcleaning.

@Rakhee....is your praise aimed at confounding the IP Tongue out

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

No NSV, it is to express my gratitude. The kind of gratitude you have in your attitude to utter platitudes over every latitude when you've overdone the vodka, dude.

I'm certainly confounded Innocent

Ck, "resolved" is atleast better than the irritating little lock at the top, as if the thread originator has been jailed or something.
Actually Rakhee's threads have been spared by IP, so the gratitude is genuine.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Did I miss Rakhee's april fool thread? Innocent

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

No, Rio, I really opened a thread yesterday and then changed the heading to Please Delete and it was deleted. Yes Ranjith you missed it. Knitha was saying she would open up an SSP thread, so I opened it for her. It was titled Knitha SSP thread and had a poem that went:

I, Knitha Urs, opened an SSP thread / The Indipolice wanted me dead / But they changed their minds / When they looked behind / And I made their eyes pop / My leotard made their jaws drop

That is when Knitha gave me one black eye

The other black eye is from being socked by the Indipolice for posting a poem on how Indipolice does not use fan to save electricity and keeps cool by wearing a kilt on the same thread.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I am thinking of suggesting making lock as the new symbol for Indi Heroes

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

no for lock Surprised

yes for a special symbol for indi heroes Money mouth

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Lock before you Leap

Gaurab
from New Delhi
10 years ago

The Indi hero symbol/badge is good the way it is Laughing Make something new for them Indi lockers Tongue out

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

The kilt - The apt symbol for Indilockers - bless their Scottish souls

Loch - the Scottish word for Lake, that is what inspired the Lock symbol - rather esoteric, abstruse and romantically eccentric, too.

Aye, the Kilt, the Kilt, apt symbol of the Indilockers, ah.. the Kilt...

Gaurab
from New Delhi
10 years ago

lol I second that Laughing Cool

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Rio, avid thread starter, was locked outta His own thread / He wanted zee heartless Indipolice dead / Until He changed His mind / Coz He looked behind / And they made His eyes pop / Their kilt made His jaw drop  ..... Sigh.....  zee kilt .. zee Loch Ness ... an zee Robert Burns, too ....

I propose the lock beside each indipolice gravatar, this will serve their purpose well.
TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I agree that a better way should be found to lock threads that meant no harm and I loved the April Fool thread, too. But The Fool is Indipolice, too. He responded to this thread pretty politely and in a concerned manner, too. Even when I pulled Indipolice's kilted leg on April 1st, none of them minded. In the recent past they deleted angry comments so that all of us might find the forum the informative experience it is. In the recent past, they have shown themselves as individuals who conscientiously and quietly do what is a voluntary job. Surely a lock does not symbolize all they stand for. A kilt it is.. The best one, too, with a cartoon of the Loch Ness monster on it. I shall agree to no other symbol....

When you're locked out on your own house, you realise that the cold rain smells better than your air freshener - Robert Burns, in Esquire, circa 1801

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

rio Cool

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

I propose the lock beside each indipolice gravatar, this will serve their purpose well.

Sir, would you mind elaborating this?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

I am thinking of suggesting making lock as the new symbol for Indi Heroes

CK, ip should have some distinction.
And Fool must have understood the meaning since he is ip
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Yeah indeed, Rio. Let us give the Indipolice the lock and use the right side panel for featuring IndiPolice instead of the current set.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

No Undecided

lock symbols for ip, crown symbols for forum heroes. You will get two symbols Laughing

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

This is what I meant by supporting locking of threads.

http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?pageNum_Posts=2&totalRows_Posts=54&id=15421

http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=16193

These two threads, where discussion ceased around 7 months back have been bumped up for posting unnecessary blog links. How can this be stopped?

Well lock is needed for it i suppose
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

For such things, there is another solution - If someone bumps and old thread for sp, then IP should be able to change the freshness of the topic so that it get buried again Cool

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

This thread seems to be going healthier by the day. I am sure Rio will be very happy with the health of this thread.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

effect of kissan apples Tongue out or tomatoes? Innocent

Let's pour some vodka on it,
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

maaza Cool

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

aesthetics! Undecided

Locks all over
Gaurab
Gaurab
from New Delhi
10 years ago

There is a far bigger spam post that is in the Home page of Indiblogger from morning but hasn't been deleted.

If anyone have not noticed it, then please check the indispire posts on the home page. Concerned authorities do check this out. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread