Please suggest the better choice. :)

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Friends, as my laptops got stolen my writings have come to abrupt halt, so I am searching for good deals online. Whatdo you think about these two choices below, which one is better??

Quadcore a6+4 gb ram+750 gb hdd+512 mb GRP+win 8.1= Rs 32000

2nd gen ci5+2 gb ram+500 gb hdd+win 7 hb=Rs 37000

Both are from Toshiba. If you have better suggestions please provide me.  [Sigh]

Edited 9 years ago
Reason: Spelling
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I suggest Samsung AS broda because it has good range and service centres all over IndiaCool

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Yes I was using a samsung only, asuis one was for spare use... my samsung had 3 gb ram, 500 gb hdd, i3 and I had been very very happily using it since last 3 years... Don't know how those crooks are treating with my baby now [about to cry!]

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

For me, it's a Dell, any day. Tongue out

http://www.flipkart.com/dell-vostro-14-v3446-notebook-4th-gen-ci5-4gb-500gb-ubuntu-2-gb-graph/p/itmdw2nhwafs3zwh?pid=COMDW2KBENCPF3BM (With a 10% discount on StanChart CC and DC's you can get this in a sweet deal.

Avadhoot
from Jabalpur
9 years ago

CK, i avoided FK for fear of refurbished stuff and settled with dell affiliate. Cool

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Refurbished Really ! Haww !

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Av, it's from WS Retail. I think it's the most trusted seller on FK, so, atleast I buy from them with closed eyes. Have bought and seen lot of buying from FK's WS Retail, so, I completely trust them.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Ajit, unfortunately fk doesn't deliver laptops and TVs to my pincode [frustrated]

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

That's bad. The same one is available for 39K with the Dell Authorised Reseller. Unfortunately, there's no discount.

Avadhoot
from Jabalpur
9 years ago

CK, I know that. WS retail is FK's in-house retailing unit and a lot of people trust it.

since FK  became an e-commerce, it has always been advised to prefer ws retail over others but there were a lot of complaints against it too.

that is why I bought from the affiliate.Smile

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

somehow till date I couldn't gather any grudge against ws-retail... I order my shampoo and shaving foam even from them  [grin]

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Av, it's never possible to satisfy everyone, no matter how big you are.

Bushra M
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Hey CK, thanks for this suggestion! Will help me in future Smile

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Thanks fot thanking, Bushra.Tongue out

Meghana
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I bought my Dell Vostro from WS retail on Flipkart a month back, had issues with keyboard n got it replaced in 5 days., Still receiving sorry cards one after the other frm FK.. Though am comforatable with Ubuntu OS, having issues with downloading softwares, couldn't download my McAfee software as well, which I got with laptop. Dell CS said Ubuntu is powerful OS very less prone to virus, else I need to chance to windows. Do I need to change OS, any suggestions, wht r the pros n cons of Ubuntu?

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Meghana, the Dell people told you quite right. The only catch is that the company that markets it -Canonical, is like MS of the Linux World. (Yeah, I know there is RedHat!) They give you the OS for free, but there are a number of applications that you are required to purchase from Canonical/others. There are free and opensource altenatives to that as well.

As far as virus infection is concerned, it has to be less prone to viruses in comparision to Windows (the largest used PC OS in the world). These people (virus makers) don't quite target an OS which has few takers.

Till a couple of years back, most of the hardware manufacturers didn't pay quite an attention to creating Linux Drivers, but that seems to have been resolved now.

And the pros are now for the manufacturers who save their licensing fees for propreitory OS's like MS Windows.Tongue out

As for the Antivirus, you can try the free ones like Avast/AVG for your linux installations. For cons, there are quite none except that if you've known computing on windows, you'll miss a lot of applications. 

Meghana
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Will try Avast/AVG.

Yeah missing lot of apps, including Picasa, for editing my pics for the blog. Any alternate photo editing software for Linux? Presently using only online editors.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I think GIMP is one of the best free photo editing softwares out there, more importantly for linux. It probably comes loaded with most linux OS distributions. If not, you can get it from www.gimp.org.

Anant Aggarwal
from Faridabad
9 years ago

Meghana, if you get used to Ubuntu once and are able to find Linux flavors of all corresponding Windows applications that you use, like GIMP for Picasa, then trust me, you won't move back to Windows again. I have been using Ubuntu for the past 2 years and haven't touched Windows since. The pros of Ubuntu are its fast, does not require an antivirus, is extremely RAM efficient and is highly customizable. The basic cons with an Ubuntu machine are a lack of Adobe Photoshop and that if you get stuck somewhere, you'll need a bit of technical know-how to deal with it. Though there is ample amount of information available on the net in the form of forums and entire Ubuntu OS dedicated websites, I still feel it can get a little frustrating if you are not at all technically inclined. Other than that, its a perfect OS. The only thing that goes ahead of an Ubuntu laptop is a Macbook but personally, I feel Ubuntu is the best OS that you can lay your hands on. If you need any help with Ubuntu, you can definitely send a mailer to me. Smile

Meghana
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Thank you CK and Anant.. Will get in touch with you on mail.

Ankita Singhal
Ankita Singhal
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I have a Dell Studio 1555 with upgrades with my brother, he got it like 4-5 years ago still running smoothly and he does use it to do high-end gamings aswell so I vouch for their after sales service and the quality of Dell Product. Though he opted for 3 years complete cover Guarantee while purchasing which proved well for him as after 36 months it stared to create issues as his laptop was used like almost 24*7 .

As For me, I am also a Dell user, no gaming but I too vouch for Dell. And try to buy from their Online CC/website, they are able to provide discounts as well. I did get it from Dell website and after some negotiations I got it at a better price than the affiliated showrooms. 

All the best for your New laptop hunt :)

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Yes Even Corporate discounts are there if you are a working professional .

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Suggestion noted Ankita [smile]

Macbook Pro anyday if u have the budget

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Budget is the issue. Tongue out I can get atleast two Dells (Inspirons/Vostros) in that much.Wink

thats y i mentioned budget Tongue out

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

I actually got Sony Viao 6 Years ago , it still holds ground , but you dont get its parts , not even screen !

Every part is costly and and themain thing you wont get the parts !

Ankita Singhal
from Mumbai
9 years ago

If you are a techy/geek then I suggest stay away from MacBooks for the obvious reason. Just a personal Suggestion 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Sorry if I spend on a macbook my wallet won't forgive me... never... he'll hate me forever [reflective and remorseful smile]

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

dell is the best deal .if you are planninng to run your laptop 24/7 

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

NSV for you > ohttp://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/acer-ferrari-4005wlmi-review-pics-specs/

only 2000 usd 

It is not Apple Cool #Fail

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Aila! Itna to mujhe bechke bhi nahi milega tumhe VP  [scornful wink]

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

AS broda its for invite only sale to NSV others excuseWink

Tarun Singh
Tarun Singh
from New Delhi
9 years ago

1st configuration is better in my opinion.Smile AMD has been making great processors lately.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Deleted.

Why CK? u deleted ur essay?

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

why :P

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

That was no essay. I mistakenly posted something here. Since there was no way to remove the reply, I deleted it. Tongue out

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

Remove = deleted ; Right .

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Thanks guys for all your suggestions... This is to update you I settled with a Lenovo lappy with config:- i3 2.4 ghz+6 gb ram+1 tb hdd+1 gb nvidia+15.6 hd screen. I was going for dell as you advised but in this 36K I spent I wasn't getting such good config in dell. OS didn't come out of box so vendor put win 8.1

knitha.urs
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Congratz Anunoy...

Anant Aggarwal
from Faridabad
9 years ago

That's awesome Anunoy. Congrats! Time for you to host an Indiblogger meet in celebration of the same. Wink

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Congos :D

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

If I do a find I dont see anyone suggesting you Lenovo.

Suno Sabki Karo Man ki !

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

DvsD, you can say that but it wasn't really the case this time. I was all fixed with a Dell Vostro (though it looked ugly and I was staring at a latitude with longing eyes) when the vendor said it doesn't come with dedicated graphics card. Then only further lookout, analysis and lenovo came to my wide open gaze [shrug]

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Thanks Guys...

Pallavi
Pallavi
from Delhi/Mumbai
9 years ago

It sounds like Greek to me, but congratulations!! 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

thanks Pallavi...

LockSign in to reply to this thread