Indian Women

Susmita Ganguly
Susmita Ganguly
from Kolkata
9 years ago
What do you think about the present status of Indian women??...will Mardaani be able to change anything??? ...are inspirational movies like this produced to uplift the status of policemen ???or they really have a strong will of working for women???

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I'm sorry to say, but, I'm in no mood to create a controversy and commotion on this forum, with what I think about the topic.Undecided

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

CK IndiMail me your views! I am interested in knowing them. Money mouth

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Same here.

+1

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Oh you've blogged about it.... that's good.

It was kinda nice movie....

I didn't like it Tongue out

Partha Sadhukhan
Partha Sadhukhan
from Bangalore
9 years ago

No wonder why a Bengali woman is saying this. Bengal is number one in filing false cases and extorting their husbands for money. So this coming out of a Bengali woman is expected..

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

Undecided

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Honestly I don't see relevance of this thread in IB forum... but then Partha, your reply seems more irrelevant and aversive [Sigh]

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

@partha

why categorize anyone.

dont be too judgemental.

aint you racist when you say it ?

Susmita Ganguly
Susmita Ganguly
from Kolkata
9 years ago

@Partha=>No wonder,your frustations and mentality of disrespecting women(while they celebrate feminism) are public now!!I am glad to know about something like this from a Bengali guy itself(you know,what I mean).

In case,you want me to treat you properly,you have to kindly show me the required statistical data,you know,without any evidence ,nothing is proved."Coming out of a Bengali woman" ,will you please explain what do you mean by this???Ooops,you might have issues with your own family members,but in that case,one might prove you a fool to just put your anti-feminism in 'suspened animation' state :D 

@Nandini,=>long time ma'am,how are you??? ummm,your smiley is cool ;) I liked it :D

@NSV=>meko pata hae tumhe accha nahi lagega :P :P btw,visited your blog few days back,you know, book-bucket challenge post was awesome :)

@Cyber kid=>it is fine dude,I respect your decision (Y)

@Anunoy=>Thanks :)

Smile

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Why do people create such a fuss about something like the 'status of women'... come on, there is no difference between women and men. Women are as good, if not better, than men in almost everything. By constantly harping on the 'status of women' we have ended up creating a situation where a segment of men have begun thinking that they must actually be better and more powerful then women... and this results in crimes that should never have taken place.

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

exactly

Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

Excellent reply Arvind Passey ji. Generalization, that all men are bad or all women are bad, is a bad idea. There are rotten apples in both genders. 

sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

Excellently put. I myself am an advocate for gender equality rather than female empowerment

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
9 years ago

Women are as good, if not better, than men in almost everything.

are they 'treated' as good? 

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

Search past IB threads and you will find many threads discussing the same topic with them eventually turning into a warzone. Surprised Now, I guess this thread too will soon become a warzone. Tongue out

Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

:)

Hey - I just wrote about the "equality" thing! I think feminists are doing themselves no favours..

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Not going on to express my views on the topic, I'll try expressing what I feel about this entire thing of compartmentalization.

Why do we even have to discuss this stuff?

Equality of this and that and that? 68 years on since we became "independent" we are yet to come into our senses of true independence. Why not we realize that this is all the age old tactic - Divide and Rule. Some divide us on the grounds of beard and moustache and hair and ponytail. Some divide us on the basis of where and how do we live. Some divide us on the basis of our skin colour, some divide us on the basis of schools of thought we follow, and then some divide us on whether we are believers and non believers defeacating around a holy shrine flooding an entire state and killing thousands of people.

What I see here is that dividing people on various grounds has become one of the favourite past times of our politicians. We being the common men (women included) of the country haven't learnt from our past mistakes, but, some of the uncommon ones, who manage to learn, reach out to become politicians. As I see it, divide and rule is the the one thing, among a thousand others, our political system/country, inherited from the British. Just put an idea among the fools, that divided we stand better, and fools would follow you to divide, by hook or by crook, and you stand a chance, infact a sureshot one, to become their leader and then fulfil your political ambitions, to earn power and money.

Gaurab
Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

I think we have had a similar topic in Indispire and since many bloggers are bengali, we have had a good discussion over "why this is not valid in context of Bengali families"...just to enlighten, In most bengali families, mother is the dominating figure. Further sisters and daugheters are the most loved and respected memeber of family. Personally, I sometimes feel neglected in terms of the attention in my family. 

Actually, mine wasn't about the Indian context but about the state in the US and the stupid "equality" thing between men and women in general.

This is not restricted to India. The warped thinking that there has to be equality, when in fact what you are looking for is tolerance and "fairness", is prevalent everywhere. The fact is the two sexes were NOT designed to be "equal", but have different characteristics consistent with biological makeup. I agree with Cyberkid, this has become an issue of ignorance and exploitation on the one side and misplaced outrage on the other.

There are so many activists these days and the internet has made it easier for a lot of people to become armchair critics. It is so easy to offer a comment on FB, click the Like button, and write about how outraged you are and then go back to being the person you really are. The online persona is so different from the real persona. Online they are activists, in real life apologists.

No patience with the so-called activists. I'm not sure how the Benagli thing came about. I would venture to say that those values exist in other communities as well, at a similar level. It is only personal prejudices that make people believe that one group of humans is somehow better than any other sample of humans. You are likely to find the same or comparable levels of racists, rapists, liars, good guys and bad guys in any sample of the human race. I refuse to believe, in the absence of any facts to the contrary, that Bengalis are somehow more enlightened than the rest of the human race. I lived 28 years in Calcutta and am married to a Bengali.

Besides, my blog post was really a veiled attempt to wish myself a very Happy Birthday!

sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

Hi Ajesh, agreed when you talk about the human species was never made to be equal on a biological scale. However, for things created artificially such as society and standing in society, I think gender equality is the need of the day.

However most women are fooled into thinking that they have to actively remind each and every man how they deprived they are and that, this is the generation of Nari Shakti, which only leads to further alienation (I have a term for such people, armchair feminist N-A-Z-I-'-s and is no different from bihar asking to be a bimaru state). I remember days when I had to read and write bland essays at school on topic of women empowerment which only made me wonder, "yaar, abhi tak inko itne rights chaiye the toh kyun nahin lete, atleast I wouldn't have to write such essays."

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

@Sneh: May I ask what exactly is "gender equality"? What do these people (advocates of GENDER EQUALITY) actually want?

sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

@CyberKID: you are a advocate of gender equality as well. Gender equality is all about not making a fuss over such issues. It is all about "OH, did she do that. Good for her" and not a typical reaction like "See, even a women has equal standing among men or Women are as good at men". we are the bystanders as we anually read news articles like "Girls outshine boys yet again in board exams" and wonder what the fuss is all about.

sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

@ Ajesh In the heat of debate, I forgot to Write. Happy Birthday dude

Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

@Ajesh - I don't think "the bengali thing" you mentioned has been written to show any other community in bad light. Every community has a knowledge about themselves (from relatives and community at large) like gujratis are known for their trade.Similarly, We are an intellectual community and it is not just now but for years Bengali women have enjoyed free expression in their family. Examples of which can be seen in every part of the society from the movie on which the discussion is going on to the current day head of SBI. Laughing

Further being a blogger, I feel proud to see so many Bengali women writing blog and I have read "many" of them and all of them would definitely say one thing that they were given freedom and equality in their home.

I hope your wife is also a great example of a Bengali women who has got the all the freedom to choose and is an enlightened soul. Smile

Thanks for the birthday wish!

My wife is very enlightened - she married me, didn't she? Cool

And you are guilty of sterotyping.... I do believe!

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

aint we going off topic

Not equality - fairness.

Don't get fooled into thinking this is an Indian thing. The so-called advanced Western countries like the US pay their women less than men, they're still freaking about the possiblity of a woman President, I have met women whose sole aim in life is to find a husband to complete their vision of a perfect life. The job, the "independence"  and "emancipation" they received decades ago hasn't changed that. Divorce is easy, but then the hunt continues. Yes, there are exceptions, but the point is there are many such cases which goes to my point about samples

Yup, the feminist movement is messed up, with self-importance and sanctimony the abiding principles of these armchair activists.

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

we all are messeed up

i respect women period

sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

@Desire Lols, you respect women period???

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Well, what he means is: I respect women. Period.

sneh
from ahmedabad
9 years ago

I see, so this is what they meant by the importance of period in the english language

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

trolling is easy.

difficult is not going off topic !

Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

Well Sneh... a grammatical 'period' is better than what gets implied when this word goes plural.

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

:)

LockSign in to reply to this thread