Just wanted to know how many of you are full time bloggers ?

Nickk Bisht
Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

I am curious to know if you are blogging as a full time blogger or a part time. Actually I want to write more and more post for my blog but it's not possible with the day job. If you are a part time bloggers I would like to know how you guys manage. 

Sorry If I posted this in a wrong category , I was searching for a right category then decided to post it here.

Thanks

Peace!!

Replies 1 to 14 of 14 Descending
Oindrila De
Oindrila De
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I blog in the evenings and nights after office & on weekends. It gets quite hectic at times with many social engagements popping up & travel plans for the weekends and extended holidays. I end up sacrificing sleep. I could do with some help on the time management front.

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

Because of long working hours for me it's not possible in the evening. Cry

Anyways thanks for sharing your blog schedule.

I don't think there are any full time bloggers here, at least not in the sense that they don't do anything else except blogging, and I also think that a large majority of bloggers feel that they should write more. But, to tell you of my opinion, I don't think having a day job is a hindrance to our blogging, we can find time when the idea excites us so much that there isn't a way we spend time without penning it.

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

Hi Narasimha!! Again that depend upon a type of job or the industry you work for, We work for US and UK clients and office timings are 10 a.m to 7 p.m ( officially ) but we wait for extra 2 hours to communicate with our client's , 9:30 we leave and it takes 1 hour to reach home. The whole day infront of PC and that too struggling with codes & programs makes it almost impossible to write some quality post for a blog. 

All my post on my blog are the result of excitement only. Laughing

Thanks 

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I too am not a full time blogger. Actually, as what you said, it is not possible for one, having a full time job to blog full time. It's just not possible. 8-9 hours of job, 1-2 hours of commute, around 7-8 hours of sleep, you get so less time left to blog full time.

Being a part time blogger, like most people here, I decided on a schedule, to take out time, at least, an hour or two out if my Sunday evenings to write for my blog, and appears, after around two years of blogging, that I'm almost successfully doing it. Of late, this has got a bit distracted because I'm in the process of starting a couple of new blogs, and working on them takes some of my time, and given the kind of adventurous person I am, it takes me quite a lot of time finishing even the simplest of things, my way.

So,  now I'm realizing that 1-2 hours in a Sunday won't be enough to maintain three blogs. So, I've decided to work round the week to create contents for my blogs, since the other two do not have content as crucial as the other one, where I try posting the freshest content. Doing this, I plan on to create a repository, (writing and scheduling posts, as per my posting schedule) which would be helpful in the lean days, when, it is not possible for me to create new content.

HR
HR
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Most of them are part time bloggers only and they are aware that though some might get thousands of rupees or dollars from blogging world for their earlier contribution but it is unstable or indefinite revenue from online sources. Even if it is regular revenue, solo (blogger) may not perform for it continuosly to challenge the global search and requirement. Individual Blogger may not perform on this for a long since they can't be equivalent to standard team performance for a long run in the competitive business world. Cool

Things may change and some percentage of full time bloggers may increase in the future too. Yes, you can see now itself very few well known full time bloggers or professional bloggers around too who challenges the world alone. SmileMoney mouth

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

I am set to challenge the world. Tongue out

HR
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Initially all bloggers assume as such but when the time and contribution goes for few weeks, months and year(s) then the reality comes in and result speaks out Tongue out. However, all the best.

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

This is my current work area. I get a lot of stuff to review and needs a lot of space. Half of the space at the hall is reserved for my work space. I would be getting a one more system and put it at the lower table so that I can swap hardware easily. I would need a second system setup for testing and upgrade the primary system. I need to buy a thermaltake x9 for that. Eventually, I'll start making videos. so i need some stuff for that as well. 

My workload is signifcantly lesser than sites, but I do get the job on most part. 

uhwQd6n.jpg

I don't THAT kinda money but it does pay for itself. That furniture costed me 40k. air conditioner costed me 32k. 27k for my VPS hosting. This was my last year's expense. I want to buy a thermaltake x9, an x99 motherboard, a DDR4 memory kit. I would get some stuff from companies for a test bench which would help me to invest in other things. I have power supplies, SSD, storage drives, etc. Note that a good friend does audio reviews. I am saying to point out that all this expenses gets taken care of by the website, and some of my expenses along the way. My second cheque from google adsense helped me to buy a canon 600D, 50k including a class 10 SD card and a USB 3.0 card reader at the time. I wish I had a large investment to take care of things, but hey- at least the money flow is there for me to grow at the least. Now hopefully if couple of things work out, i might be doing a project with someone. 

Its is very hard to establish yourself now. It was hard for me to establish myself back in 2010 but since I was the first guy in tech forums to start a site but was trolled by a lot of people, one of them the forums was owned by a tech magazine which is now shut down. Now many came up after me- bloggers, enthusiasts, gamers- even a game event organizer included "Reviews" as a package for brand promotion! Fortunately and unfortunately, they market reviews as a form of advertisement. I try to follow a separate standard of reviews by working on testing procedures. That costs money. Software licenses, equipments, etc. It does pay off, but like any business, it comes with risk and you need to endure it. It takes time, planning and consistency. But there is one or two have the same philosophy of doing pc tech reviews. 

Like many things in life, not many are cut out for this line of work. But those who are note should stick to 'casual' blogging. Depending on the genre you are writing for, its as good as starting a startup media company from scratch. Even if you earn regularly, a lot of things will need to be hands-on. I have a lot of goal. Have a dedicated team to take care of some stuff. Have more equipments and funding enough to buy equipments immediately, go to expos like computex and CES at my own expense, etc. The only way I can, is by getting a lot of readerbase. I am not really there to call myself a pro, but for four years so far I've been putting full-time efforts on it. Sometimes, I break down. Sometimes, I get lazy. Sometimes I get discouraged. Couple of times, I wanted to quit. Sometimes, I feel that I am getting into things that's way over my head. A lot of times, I enjoy my work. If you earn money honestly from the site and you can keep up with consistency, good for you. If you are one of those types that promote a brand for freebies and maybe some cash- this is not the line of work for you. 

HR
from Bangalore
9 years ago

@ The Sorcerer, You have penned your experience with detail, yes, it is fact for budding bloggers. By the way, your system also shows IB screen only Smile.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

yeah i took the picture at time of writing this. since i have only one system i disconnect a set of drives, connect another drive, install OS, drivers, software and start running tests. Imagine the pain of swapping hardware like motherboard, graphic card and cpu cooler from under the table. 

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

I enjoyed every line you wrote about. I wanna work as a full time blogger. 

Thanks for sharing the experience of your blogging journey. Cool

kanuj sharma
from Mumbai
9 years ago

Really Appreciated the answer really like what you are doing Laughing wish we had some more websites like yours in India. I see very few quality websites on PC hardware and tech in India and even low support from the tech brands to the tech bloggers. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
9 years ago

DELETE

Sweta Biswal
Sweta Biswal
from Bengaluru
9 years ago

I am also into full time blogging....that too with whatever time is left on my hands after taking care of my toddler and looking after the house !! Though I had started blogging when I had a corporate job, these days it is my only source of income. And no it does not pay that much but it keeps me occupied and keeps the learning curve going..:)

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

I am a full time blogger. I make a decent sum but since that is not sufficient, I compliment my income working on freelance writing assignments (which are available in plenty, at least in my domain).

One thing I've learned the hard way is: if you treat your blog like a business (investment, team effort, breakeven, growth), you are bound to get significant returns. Of course, investment comes with its own risks.

But if you are a solopreuner, which is what most full time bloggers are, it will take a long time before you get decent returns. Nowadays, the blogging scene is getting over crowded and the competition is global.

One should be prepared for anything - including lifestyle, time, monetary & social sacrifices, if they want to run their blogs as a business, which can be done only with full time efforts. But that is true for any business venture. 

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

That's what I was expecting to hear from. I am planning to leave my corporate job ( a big decision ) and wanna build some decent blog. 

"One should be prepared for anything - including lifestyle, time, monetary & social sacrifices"  : I am ready to sacrifice, in fact this is not a pain at all. It gives me full satisfaction to work for something created by me. 

Again, we need effort everywhere regardless of industry , org. , profile we are at. More the effort is more the output we get in return. 

Thanks a lot for your words.

Rajesh K
from Chennai
9 years ago

Good then. Go ahead and create the blog of your dreams. But it should not be "some decent blog" - it should be the best/most useful. You should be clear about what niche you want to be in, and it helps if you have a lot of passion for the niche. Passion decides whether you will continue on the long run, after the initial burst of excitement has subsided.

And while you are there, aim to create the best and the most useful blog in your niche that is different from every other blog out there. Quality wins over quantity - I learned this the hard way. Also, learn as much as possible about professional blogging, online publishing, and your niche. And keep learning, keep experimenting, don't be afraid to fail.  

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

"You should be clear about what niche you want to be in" : Already workin on it ( yeah not listed here in Indiblogger). Will take a month more to publish it online. 

Thanks for your support. 

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
9 years ago

I write.

I write on my blog as well.

I sometimes win a prize in some blogging contest.

I do not earn anything from blogging and, therefore, I do not pay any tax.

However, I do file my IT returns every year.

And I enjoy playing with words.

:)

Well I run my website with full time effort Cool.. But cant call my self as a full time blogger.. But I blog with full time effort on my subject and mind you, those who understand my subject, they would know and understand how much effort is given for every post !!

Nickk Bisht
Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

I can see that effort on your blog. Laughing Keep it up. 

Nalini Malaviya
Nalini Malaviya
from Bangalore
9 years ago
Having had a blog for more than 8 yrs, I can honestly say it reqs a lot of commitment! It helps to hv a niche, preferably one that has the potential to pay. For me, the blog is an extension of my work and vice versa, so in a sense it is easier. A blog can generate revenue, if you put together a good business plan and explore related avenues for work opportunities. It can be while, before one can be a full time blogger, but isn't that true for any mode of self employment!
Himanshu Negi
Himanshu Negi
from Delhi
9 years ago

Hello Nickk Bisht,

For you success there are few must things that you need before you work full time:

Planning, Market Research: Before you take any decision make sure you already know what you have to do. (*programming example ahead) Just like when we speak about a computer program (say calculator) we say it's simple. But when it comes to actual coding and then testing, things become complicated and un-expected things happen.

Planning means you should know the topic on which you are going to build a blog, the expected audience size for that topic/niche (use Google Keyword Planner), audience worth on that topic (some topics poor ROI and some are just blessed), how long that niche will survive and what is the competition in that niche.

SEO (Search Engine Optimization): It refers to the practices done to improve your site's ranking on SERP (search engine result page). Only SEO can help you drive organic traffic from search engines.      

Capital-Inestment: You must have some savings because for first few months you just have to invest and no money is going to come. If something comes in this period, it harms later (eg. link selling, cheap ads etc.). Don't hesitate to spend money and Money should be spend wisely. 

Learning: Be ready to learn many new things. You have to read many other bloggers who have more experience and what not!

Experiment: Only thing that can give optimum results is experiment and testing. So be ready to fail many times before you get best.

Moreover be ready for different feelings in your path, you may feel blessed and other day you might face frustration and depression. You know what I mean - Ups and Downs.

Finally, if you are well prepared and well equipped then choose revolution. Enjoy!   

* Just my personal experience and opinion. I am not a full time blogger. I'll be soon doing masters in computer application. So, who knows what I will choose! (Blogging or Job or both;) ** Absolutely, there is money online.

Nickk Bisht
from Delhi
9 years ago

Hi Himanshu! 

First of all I would like to thank you for penning down your precious suggestion for me. 

Talking about research : I am actually working on some other blog too which is not listed here on Indiblogger. And talking about WindowsPhoneWiki as we all know lot of people are now moving from other OS to windows Phones. They all hesitate to play with windows phone so the blog is helping them as there queries are resolved , how-to's , FAQ and many more, I can say that it's a well planned for long term run ( according to me ) , need your thoughts on that.

SEO : My blog is new but I have started blogging since 2010. In these years I have learned many things in SEO which would be helpful for my blog. I am using webmasters tools , google analytics , cache , java and css footer , xml sitemaps and so on...... 

Capital Investment : Yeah I too don't like earning with cheap ads , promotion or anything. Currently Using adsense and few of amazon and flipkart's affiliate programs. 

Learning : I think we already have much expereienced bloggers in here. People like you are so appreciated. 

Experiment : You said "you may feel blessed and other day you might face frustration and depression. You know what I mean - Ups and Downs." - Very true 

looking forward for more reviews on my Blog. 

Thanks

Himanshu Negi
from Delhi
9 years ago

@Nickk Bisht Sounds like you are ready for new venture. Just Go for it! This is the crucial time, right now is the best time, don't wait.

* If you are looking any help-buddy or few members in your team, consider me too :D  

kanuj sharma
kanuj sharma
from Mumbai
9 years ago

I call myself a weekend blogger though i continue to read entire week, but due to other engagements usually glue myself to my blogging chair, on the weekend and write , write & write.

I started my blog as a means to tell the tech enthusiasts what i knew about tech, pc hardware and gaming and offer some good suggestions.  

Initially for sometime I wrote for Google search engine yeah there was no one to read it , i started in March 2013, Laughing but now I am more  concerned about my readers.

So keep writing, keep sharing your views and keep helping.

LockSign in to reply to this thread