google search vs facebook social traffic

Sairam Rajamani
Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
9 years ago

What is the % of search vs social traffic for your blog.

Mine is a humor blog, but the predominant traffic is from Google (90%) - people often searching for random words. So the quality of traffic is not that good.

Wondering whether traffic from Facebook is of better quality for humor/personal blogs?

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending
KAJAL MAJHI
KAJAL MAJHI
from Mahanad
9 years ago

Indeed Google is king . Social media websites are useless untill you have thousand of followers there . 

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

maybe, yes. If you have a facebook page that shares what you do on your blog, and that it is good enough you can get a good traffic since people coming from FB will have some idea about the topics they're going to find on your blog. As for traffic from google, it's something that google shows on random word searches as you've said. Expect people to run away because they didn't find something they weren't looking for.

Nitin Balodi
Nitin Balodi
from Chandigarh
9 years ago

90% is a cool stat. Howver, the question is - it is 90% of how much traffic?  It's good to get this amount of traffic from a  search engine. However, it is bad to ignore social media channels, though you are getting decent traffic from other sources. Social Media will give you repeated  visitors and would help you to build a readership.  Search Engines are highly volatile. Nobody knows what disaster next update of Google can bring. 

Tarun Singh
Tarun Singh
from New Delhi
9 years ago

I think Facebook is highly volatile. Since these days, Facebook is hell bent on making money from paid ads.Even pages with million likes are getting very low traffic. They are only showing those pages in user's feed whose content user likes regularly. 

Nitin Balodi
from Chandigarh
9 years ago

From a user's prespective, that's a good thing. However, from a marketers views, it's something that makes one go mad.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

How many monthly visitors (sessions in Google Analytics) do you get per month? 

Percentages make sense only if visitors are > x.

Sairam Rajamani
Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
9 years ago

I used to get ~250 pageviews every day till an year back. But I have not been blogging for an year now and the views have fallen to 100.

But most of them are from Google with very poor conversion rate. Most of them stay on site for like 10 secs. I do not think Google is a good source for a personal/humor blog. That's my experience. But I just wanted to get a feel from the forum guys as well.

HR
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Sairam, your profile photo is very nice.

Try to post regularly (at least one) to get enough increasing traffic.

Mahesh Sowani
Mahesh Sowani
from Peth Vadgaon
9 years ago

Surprised by reading previous posts in this threads. As regards my blog is concerned I get almost 90% traffic from Facebook.

Nagaraj
Nagaraj
from Tirupati
9 years ago

95% of my traffic is from FB.  So far 340 K views ( 5-Month old Blog).   Share your post in a right group.

Narayanamurthi
from Hyderabad
9 years ago

Hi, That's terrific. How do you do that. Do you use paid advertising in FB? Can you please guide me.

Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Nagaraj,

I checked your blog and you have got an amazing statistics. I see that your blog is an informational blog about banking. In my understanding, such blogs should benefit very well from Google traffic provided you have put some time on your blog. But you have cracked FB as source as well. So with some more time and effort, your Google traffic should kick in as well. Congrats and all the best for your blog.

So, your strategy for FB is to become member of 'Banking employees' group in FB and post it there, is it?

sounds like a good idea. Looks like I should find a niche in humour and try the same strategy.

Sairam Rajamani
Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Rahman,

Yes, I want to get back to blogging. But I want to worder smarter instead of just harder :-) That was the reason of this exercise.

Sowani, Nagaraj

Wonderful metrics. I haven't found figured out a way to crack FB yet. Let's see...

HR
from Bangalore
9 years ago

Sairam, so you can try this idea too (including my answer).

Nagaraj
Nagaraj
from Tirupati
9 years ago

Sairam, Narayanamurthi,

There are at least 100 groups with regard to Bank Employees only.  I had just joined 30 to 40 group's and analyse what's the current burning topic and also the requirement's of the employees, sit back do my research and publish my post.  Just posting list of Holidays of various State Governments has given me more than 40K views and more than 200 shares in FB.  I am not good in SEO, but as you have rightly pointed out for one search term " Tenth Bipartite Arrears Chart" ( For these charts I had  worked for One week 5 hours per day ) my blog post's are shown in first page of google search that too in first, second and third places.  

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

If you have a humor/satire blog, you'll have to depend on social media traffic. People don't really search for humorous articles on Google. They have their own favorite humor website that they follow regularly. New readers mostly come from Social media when your content is shared by people.

Bottom line, improve your content to build a readership. I don't really see hope in relying on Google in your case.

LockSign in to reply to this thread