Spam comments

Jyothi D'mello
Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Hi All,

I am just a month old blogger and finding my way around this platform. One of the biggest nusiance I face is hundreds of Spam comments on my blog. I have changed the privacy to Moderation mode, but have to every day filter all the comments. Due to the high numbers of spams some of the geniun comments are getting mislaid. How can I stop these spams? Help!

Thanks,

Jyo x

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Use Akismet anti-spam plugin. 

Jyothi D'mello
Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Thank you The Sorcerer. Just read its review online and sounds good and apt. Will give Akismet a go. :-)

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
8 years ago

The same issue with me in a slightly different way. When ppl post a comment in my blog like "Nice"  , they add their blog URL to it

Its basically promoting their blog in the pretext of commenting which I absolutely hate. If I want to see a blog , I can click their profile and see it anyways right?

99% of cases I delete such comments

Jyothi D'mello
Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Hi Karthik... you one of the top ones in the IndiMarathon that's why you are swamped with spam with links. You are a celebrity and people want to connect with you :-) On a serious note, yes it can be quite irritating to keep filtering such comments. Mine are absolutely rubbish. Random comments about things which are in no way related to the blogpost.

Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
8 years ago

lol....I am still laughing about the celebrity comment :P

Jyothi D'mello
Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Smile

Jyothi D'mello
Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Hi Akshay. Yes, I am on wordpress and after reading a few reviews of Akismet as well as other plugin's I have today installed WP-SpamShield. The results are good but I will monitor it for a few days to see whether there are any glitches iro geniune comments. Thanks very much for your advice.

Akshay
from Lucknow
8 years ago

Laughing

Saket Kalikar
Saket Kalikar
from Hyderabad
8 years ago

I get comments from a certain 'Packers and Movers' company who first put comments like' Great writting', Good information' etc and then offer to pack and move my goods from Ahmedabad to Mumbai to Chennai to Pune to Lucknow. Laughing

Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Some spammers are funny too ! :-)

Rajesh Kasargod
Rajesh Kasargod
from Mumbai
8 years ago

What .......I dont even get those must be really poor in writing .............Undecided

Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Hi Rajesh. My guess is that only the newbies (like me) get those spam comments. :-)

Amarendra Bandla
Amarendra Bandla
from Bangalore
8 years ago

Also, use Disqus for comments. 

Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Hi Amarendra. Yes, I have heard good reviews of Disqus and have seen its application by some of my blogger friends. Thank you.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I don't like Disqus. It basically stores the comments on its own server and forms a forum using the comments.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Srikanth Ramakrishnan
from Mumbai
8 years ago

I got irritated with Askimet after a while.

I use Better Wordpress ReCaptcha. I use a reCaptcha to keep spam minimal. It has taken me from 200 comments a day to 3.

Jyothi D'mello
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Hi Srikant. But, doesn't Disqus curb spams? I just recently installed WP-Spamshield and it is doing a good job of filtering spam comments.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

Yeah it does. Atleast it keeps fishy ones in the moderation que. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread