YouTube Monetization

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
6 years ago

Hello Folks,

For those of you who have a small budding YouTube channel as an extension to your blog, what are your thoughts on the new YouTube rules laid out for monetization?

My channel has been served notice for not meeting their both new criterias:

1. Less than 1000 subscribers

2. Less than 4000+ hours of Watch time. 

Twist of course is, that I have 4000+ hours of watch time on my channel for the last one year, however I have limited subscriber base at 590 (708 at last count after I asked my friends to help susbscribe). 

How are you treating this?

Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Descending
Deeshani Batra
Deeshani Batra
from Chandigarh
6 years ago
I was very disappointed with another threshold added to monetisation after 10k views one. I have 2k+ subscribers but I do not have much watch time as I post short videos. This is a major setback to naive youtubers and we have to deal with it anyhow. 😕
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
6 years ago

2K subs! Nice.

Suggest you increment the time your views take. Also, what is your Sub/non-Sub watch ratio? I have mine at 1%/99%

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
6 years ago

Once upon a time, you can put videos with the equipment you have. Nobody cared. 720p desktop displays were top end. Slow internet speed. Camera equipment wasn't as good as it is. Youtube was not owned by Google. People uploaded videos for fun and passion. Now people need to invest time, money, patience and planning to get those views. Worst of all is apocalypse because YT relied on advertisers of brands owned by corporations who owned some stake or investment in their own streaming services (also the ones lobbying to take down net neutrality). Also, those SJWs running behind political correctness are creating a nuisance and flagging videos to demonitize anything they don't agree with. Who will invest and put content on the platform that makes it difficult for them to earn back the money they spent for. Meantime YT had no problem trending logan paul's suicide forest video and didn't take action to remove the video. Good time for a competition, but it needs someone with an equally big userbase. Like Facebook. But Facebook videos are terrible so its going to take a lot of time. 

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
6 years ago

I honestly do not see the ill in monetizing and YouTube moulding itself as a streaming platform that helps breed content. However, they are not open about it in a way. A double edged sword. 

Streaming Services like Amazon or Netflix have an upper hand on the quality of the content. Because they chose the content unlike YouTube. 

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
6 years ago

There are two issues. One is monetization and subscription. If one can't get 1,000 subs despite making videos regularly for a year one should just stop or just take it up as a hobby. But Youtube putting it as a condition is stupid. What about people who earned closer to $100? They're literally stuck there. The second issue is not able to monetize until 10k videos. That's just stupid. Third- slowly Youtube stifling videos in search results. This is a problem because if one considers what Youtube does to be a bad thing as a whole, they do even worse without telling it. All content will need human evaluation. It will take time. People have likes, dislikes, and bias towards or against someone with a particular view/opinion and anything else. Youtube auto copyright strike system works even when you hum or whistle to a song less than 10 seconds. So for them to shadowban/discourage specific videos for any reason is a walk in the park. Youtube should be removing useless staff members and managers who don't know anything about the community rather than punishing the community itself. Weren't they the ones who allowed Jake Paul's suicide Forest video trend so high and left it there prompting the uploader to take down the video himself? YT is way too big for its own good. video content makers should diversify. Have a site. Write. Put content on Facebook or vimeo. Archive it somewhere. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread