Do girls get more comment then boys, because of their gender?

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Some days back a friend commented that, female blogger always get preference then male blogger. I thought let me ask the same to the bloggers itself and find out what they feel. Smile

"Do female bloggers get more comment then male blogger, because of their gender?"

1-20
21-40 41-49
Replies 1 to 20 of 49 Descending
Rachana Agarwal
Rachana Agarwal
from Noida
13 years ago

Hi Sweta,

I think it is totally absurd comment. People get comments on the quality of content, popularity of subject matter, relevance of opinion and expression.

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Hi Rachana,

I replied tha same to my friend. But then we are girls so people can think we are biased.

lets see what the guys have to say Smile

Rachana Agarwal
from Noida
13 years ago

I am also curious to know the reactions.

Sriram R
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I agree with you. Content is king in the long run. 

Pranab Chatterjee
from Kolkata
13 years ago

i will say this much: i read tons of blogs everyday, but ahem, it just so happens that the blogs i most frequently comment on are written by gals.

LOL

Abhishek Kumar
Abhishek Kumar
from Bangalore
13 years ago

mere khayal se agar quality of post achha hai to aapko achhe comment aayenge..

jo log ye dekhte hain ki blog kiski hai male ya female...they just dont know the blogging thing...

we should comment and appreciate the post which is meaningful, expressful and good...

Abhishek Kumar
Abhishek Kumar
from Bangalore
13 years ago

i think this shouldnt be the case that we should only give comments so that other can comment on our posts....

i think we should give more priority to quality of posts than comments...

blogging should only be done for post quality, what we exactly think about particular things and what we want to express through our blogs....this should be the sole reason behind blogging...comments are essential but secondary...primary thing is quality of posts

Abhishek Kumar
Abhishek Kumar
from Bangalore
13 years ago

and i agree in some cases female blogger gets more comments....but not in all cases

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I don't know about "Quality" I am a newbie and consider myself too small to categorize other bloggers work! (this would be inhuman).

I personally prefer taste, what I like and enjoyed I comment there............what does not belong to my taste, I refrain from commenting (as it is not my domain, so I am no one to say anything) but sometimes you just have to let the person (blogger) know about his/her awesomeness, one should always do that!

And gender biasness........maybe some male bloggers are biased, maybe; all blames on their hormones, not their reading/blogging skills though! Smile

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

you have answer for everything addy Smile

and its harmone's miskate... too good Smile

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

oh its hormone's..... sorry for the typo Smile

Anik Ghosh
from Bhubaneswar
13 years ago

@Addy - Agree with you on both the points.

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Sweta 

well.....I amaze myself everyday! 

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Anik

Thanks!! nobody does usually!

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

hahahaLaughing this discussion is becoming very interesting.

keep it going guys.

Abhishek Kumar
Abhishek Kumar
from Bangalore
13 years ago

well most of the girl bloggers are very talented even more talented than most of male bloggers..m not so much active on english blogs but i have seen this trend in most of the  hindi blogs where you will find female blogger are much talented than male bloggers....but this dosesnt mean that we(male) bloiggers are not talented, its just the fact that some female bloggers are slightly more talented than us :)

very few of girl bloggers are talking crap in their posts..atleast i have observed this...

Savvy
Savvy
from Kolkata
13 years ago
Hm.m interesting. . . . . Definitely content is king. . But there may be some harmone malfunction as addy pointed out earlier
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

not malfunction that is the function! Tongue out

P.Brain
P.Brain
from Pune
13 years ago

hmmm maybe someone should start a gender neutral blogging site, just focusing on pure blog content  rather than who writes it.

But on the other hand dont we all need our biases while reading a blog/book/article.

Once we make up our opinion about someone i think we read just for the love of the author the content comes secondary.

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I think I can conclude the discussion now..........

1. Everyone believes that content is the KING!!
  2. Girls/Female Bloggers get more comments than boys/male bloggers
  3. Pretty girls get more comments than an average girl
  4. Even more if she replies to those overwhelming and flirtatious comments
  5. Bloggers believe Indirank is a female!

That is what I have concluded from the discussion in this thread 

Gursimranjeet Khamba
from New Delhi
13 years ago

You forgot the final conclusion - everyone who responded with a yes potentially pissed off a couple of feminists and they will never visit your blog again.

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

good conclusion....Smile

but who ever replied with yes they should think first, do they visit girl bloggers post for contents or........

think think Wink

Garf
Garf
from Somewhere in India
13 years ago

@Sweta: Does it happen is what you ask. It is true and that is what i have seen. I joined 20 something bloggers a few months ago. I was pretty surprised when i saw the volume of female bloggers around. I sincerely believe that there are more woman bloggers than male bloggers. having said that, it is obvious that they get more comments.:)

And we all know what a big relief it was to the gender "Female" group when orkut came up with scrap privacy and image privacy. We all know there are souls out there, looking out for genders. So, don't you think that ablog is a good way to get that? And so the number game of comments.....

How many have you seen out there who read to know what you are upto, what scored for you in the day and what made you go nuts...? I believe not many.

But yeah, one should ignore all this and just enjoy the followers and the joy of a good nice comment because with time, such fllukes fade off. Being the way one is all that matters. Cheers!!!

Shreya Sen
Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Well, I have noticed that in blogger there is a sort of sisterhood thats absent in male bloggers.There are certain blogs like "receipts of a boyfriend shopper" that are extremely famous in the blogosphere. and the promotion is all through the sistahs.if girls get more comments its not necessarily from boys who are trying to impress them but rather from girls who connect with their emotions in a way *most* guys never can.Cool

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

well said Smile

Manupriya Sinha
from Noida
13 years ago

Cool Agree... !!

Cavin
Cavin
from Chennai
13 years ago

As Shreys said I have noticed the 'sisterhood' among female bloggers which is less among male bloggers. And as Addy said, its a bit of a harmone issue.

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Good point...But I am completely forgetting the corerct spelling of hormone after reading all the comments above :)

Saurabh Verma
Saurabh Verma
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Lets stop being  idealistic for a sec and get practical..

Girls do get more comments.. Cool

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

open answer Saurabh Smile

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I closed the deal long before! whats the fuss about still??Undecided

Vasu
Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Interesting topic and I have been casually talking about this through various blog comments.

I am going to write a mini blog on this here:

People blog with multiple objectives and agendas in mind, or some just do it for fun. You get what you want and push for.

Some do it for the money (Adsense) and that is a factor of page ranks, visitors etc.  In such case you may not care about the comments

Some do it to rant, typically women, but some male bloggers like me do that as well. So when you share an experience, or a rant, or a view on something, it is much more fun to have comments and a conversation going. So here, the more comments there are the merrier, and women have a definitive advantage there. Let’s get real and accept that if you have two blogs of the same kind of content, level of writing, level of PR, the one by the girl is likely to have more visitors and commentators. I have no problems with that, but pretending that’s not the case is naive!

Some like to discuss a serious topic, and even here the comments are critical. But a caveat here is the quality of comments. Women and men are equally capable of writing on a serious topic, but a girl’s blog is more likely to be flooded with silly, attention seeking and non value adding comments (from my tribe of course!). So I am happy to be a man in this aspect. I mean, if I push my brain and pour  my heart out on a topic like the naxalite issue, or a career discussion, or about governance, and get a comment like “LOL :)”,or “You write so well”, or “Dats a cool one”, I would be tearing my hair apart :)

Good content is the nucleus of a blog, and anybody can have good content – man, woman, kiddo, oldies. How popular your blog is a factor of how you package it (style, themes etc), how much effort you do in PR and networking by reading and commenting on other blogs, and who you are (cute girl/ hot man, or average looking person).

You could be an average looking dude, but have great content, do the right things, and persist with blogging and commenting, and you will end up with a gold mine of a blog.

But that doesn’t give you the right to resent a chick who writes a rant blog and gets a million visitors...some basic laws of nature don’t change, and that’s how things have been in the world ever since the days of Adam and Eve!

Some of the best blogs are written by people who have good reading and writing skills, network well with the blogging community, and package their stuff well. And that could be irrespective of your gender.

Footnote: I wonder how many comments this topic would have got if it was posted by a guy, rather than Sweta. My guess is not more than 2/3...this is just for a chuckle, don’t kill me for this!

Cheers!

Vasu

http://vasusworld.wordpress.com/

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

hey vasu,

you are putting so much of effort here, the same you could have posted on your blog Wink

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

@Sweta: I like to study and learn how people respond to this post and then use that to write my own blog. Its my way of doing research before hitting the publish button :)

Cheers!

Vasu

Abid
Abid
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Girls getting more comments, with prettier profile pics getting even more is a fact. It may sound absurd and unwanted but the fact remains so. If it was just 'Tiwari ' and a bald headed dark guy's pic on the profile, I bet the replies would have been far less (including minus one from my side :P).

Anywaz folks, I am new to this forum and world of blogging, just happened to stumble on this piece.

Smiles

Abid

http://galli-number-3.blogspot.com/

Vijay Bankar
Vijay Bankar
from Mumbai
13 years ago

What i would love to know is, if a guy had posted the same question here, how many would think of him as a chauvinistic pig?

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Hehe...good point!

I strongly believe that the world is thrown into trouble by MCPs on one end , and firbrand feminists on the other;  and those in the midle face the music from both ends :)

Cheers!

Vasu

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

not just chauvinist pig dude Male Chauvinist Pig!!!

Women love to add that prefix! They never say those last two words without the first...............I dunno why..................

n btw well said 

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Wow addy you know females very well.

that's why people say, experience speaks Smile

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Vijay, read carefully, the question was put forth to sweta by a third person.we definitely think he's an MCPTongue out(please sweta, tell me its a he!)

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Addy, actually chauvinism is not always in context to male-giri(don't ask.couldn't come up with any better term).a person may be a religious chauvinist or a national chauvinist or heck!even a female chauvinist. So it actually mekes sense to call someone a MCP if thats what he is!Innocent

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

of course, it was a he only shreya Smile

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

of course, it was a 'he' only shreya Smile

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Here is a quick reality check, at the risk of harping on the same point: Check another equally good forum topic posted by Karan A at http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=5034

His question is "What motivates you more: Promote on Indiblogger or a comment on your post?", and to me it is an equally good topic / question as what we are discussing here.

He has received 2 responses and this post has received a whopping 76 as of now.

I am merely stating the facts here, and not passing any value judgement :)

I have done my bit by responding to him as well

We may or may not choose to do anything about it, but kindly stop pretending that women getting more attention online is not true!

Cheers!

Vasu

P.S: I am wishing the blogging brotherhood and sisterhood enthusiastically to Karan 's post!

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Vasu, Its also funny cuz here too, most responses are from men.:P

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Sweta, thank you.I rest my case!:D

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Oh yeah Shreya, there is no denying that and I've mentioned as much who is the culprit here...my tribe can be pretty funny :)

Vijay Bankar
from Mumbai
13 years ago

but instead of there being a sisterhood n a brotherhood..cant we figure out someway to make a bloggerhood?

I mean if we bloggers dont look after each other no one will

Vasu
Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Thats cos MCP sounds much better than CP...anyways the PJ was to cool down some fiery responses expected tomorrow morning....we are deviating far too much from the topic, but its fun :)

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Guys Don't deviate from the topic....

and girls where you all are...????? come fight our sisterhood Laughing

1-20
21-40 41-49
LockSign in to reply to this thread