Beginner's guide for new members
Indiblogger being the biggest blogging community in India attracts new member on a regular basis. I see many of them wondering for small clarifications and hence thought to put answers to frequent queries together at a single place: -
- Where do you find all norms and regulations of the community?
- Look at the FAQ link on the top right side of the page (just before the Sign out button). It should be able to answer most of your queries.
- Where does someone ask for his/her blog review?
- Ask for it in the blog review section. Asking for it in common forum is not right as it disturbs others threads and bloggers. It is against the rule of the community, too.
- What is IndiTalk?
- It is just a common chatting platform like any other community has. Use it to connect to other bloggers and grow your network.
- Can I give links of my posts on IndiTalk? Can I also ask for review here?
- It is not allowed. Giving links on IndiTalk not only disturbs other bloggers who are chatting and it is also considered as spam. Ask for it at the correct place. It will benefit both, yourself and the community. Please also note that spamming Inditalk may result in your account being disabled.
- Where do I submit my posts for others to read them?
- Use IndiVine for it.
- What is Indivine?
- It's a section of IndiBlogger where you can submit your individual blog posts under relevant categories. It's an excellent tool for blog promotion. Sometimes contests are run by IndiBlogger with the posts participating in those contests displayed under IndiVine.
- How to vote for a post on Indivine?
- Below every post on Indivine, there is a button which says "View Post to Promote". When you click on it, it opens the post on the original blog and text on it changes to "Promote this Post". Clicking on this button now will result in voting for the post. You can find more on it in FAQ section.
- What is IndiMail?
- It is to be used for one to one communication with other bloggers in your network. Please do not use IndiMail for promoting your blog. It is against community rules and you may be banned if someone complains about it.
- Whom do I contact if I need any clarification?
- What are norms for starting a new thread on the forum?
- Ensure that the topic you are posting does not already exist. If it does, use the existing thread. Start only those threads which are related to blogging. post your thread in correct category. If your thread is not related to blogging, use Genaral and Off-topic category. DO NOT USE FORUM FOR FLAMING AND PERSONAL ABUSE.
- Why Indivine is not integrated with RSS feeds of blogs?
- Indiblogger is integrated with RSS and your latest posts are visible in your public profile. Posting on Indivine is completely individual choice and one may want to be selective in posting there. While one blogger may like to sublit all his/her posts to Indivine, another may still want to submit only selective ones. This is the reason why Indivine is not integrated with RSS feeds.
I have tried to incorporate as many points as possible, but still there are chances that I have missed something. I would request all my veteran IndiBloggers to point out any such thing and I will incorporate it here.
All my friends who have joined IndiBlogger recently, let me know if I have still missed something (you can send me an IndiMail or post your query here) and I'll be happy to help you.
Welcome and happy blogging, happy original blogging
Reason: Added few new points
Very useful guide for newcomers.....one guide line chat forum not to be used for promoting one's site is missed i suppose
Its there, 3rd point from top
- Can I give links of my posts on IndiChat? Can I also ask for review here?
- It is not suggested. Giving links on IndiChat not only disturbs other bloggers who are chatting, it is also considered as spam. Ask for it at the correct place. It will benefit both, yourself and the community.
Thanks Ranjith; hope all new members read it and take maximum advantage out of it
Excellent work Animesh! This will surely help many newbies trying to find their way in Indiblogger.
Fantastic job , animesh. Keep updating the description in some way or other so that this thread stays on top !
:) Now since the post is sticky, it will anyways be on the top always:)
Ani, dude you are the dude... Nice job mate, will ask REnie to make this Sticky!!
@ Hemal That is a good thing to be done. But I see that there is no need for the many other sticky topics over there to remain in that way. It only makes things looks messy.
An excellent initiative.
My addition: What is IndiVine?
It's a section of IndiBlogger where you can submit your individual blog posts under different categories. It's an excellent tool for blog promotion. Sometimes contests are run by IndiBlogger with the posts participating in those contests displayed under IndiVine.
Though Indivine is covered in details in FAQ, added it here too for ready reference
Hi Animesh! Great effort, I have one suggestion, to inditeam, when a new blogger registers, if the above message is generated automatically.......then confusion will be totally avoided.
@Mohini, I had suggested this in one of my another threads; not sure if it is implemented.
@Jayanth; my pleasure buddy
Another thing, about current post submission limit (2) and is there a way out to submit more than 2 post per 24 hours. Is there a way to auto-publish your blog's RSS feed here?
Usefull information. Every new indi blogger should read this....
If you have any other doubts/clarifications, you can ask it here. We all will try to answer them together.
@Animesh - What I meant was that Indivine should be able to pick up from the RSS feeds rather than we are manually posting.
Indiblogger picks up your RSS and it is visible in your public profile. As far as I understand why it is not integrated with Indivine is because its completely individual choice what to post on Indivine and what not to. One may want to post all his/her posts or another blogger may want to post some selective posts only.
Hope the point is clear now.
Welcome Alia, the entire objective is to help newbees and it seems to be happening:)
Thanks Animesh, This topic of yours is very informative for people like me.
Though I have joined earlier (created an account, thats all) but, I have just started understanding the philosophy and utility of indiblogger now, so please consider me a newbie..
Its nice to know that people are reading this topic and finding useful too.
Thanks Animesh! I went through it on my first day here & it helped a lot. Cleared a couple of doubts that I had!!