Internet Block Update (06-05-2012)

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Its come to my notice that the Indian government has started behaving like China. They have shut down the website cartoonagainstcorruption.com, a website that makes cartoons about corruption- and those who are involved in it. Keep a close eye on the hashtag #internetcensorshipindia

If people don't stand up for their rights and make their voice be heard, bloggers, tweeters, commenters, site owners and independent media will be gagged and controlled.

Edit (31-02-12):

MPs of India: Support the Annulment Motion to Protect Internet Freedom

This petition is launched by Software Freedom Law center. Please sign with the right information and share this to your friends and quick and as fast as possible.

Edit (06-05-12):Vimeo and Pastebin is blocked by DOT. Website blocking has gained momentum. Lots of it. Eventually websites and blogs will be next. If you are looking someone to blame, look in the mirror. Not doing anything about it is just as bad.

Edited 2 years ago
Reason: Update
1-20
21-40 41-58
Replies 1 to 20 of 58 Descending
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mangalore
2 years ago

It is sad day for democracy, that Govt has started clamping down on cartoons which is actually a satire.  Will they shut the TV satire of Cyrus Barucha too.  I believe Anna's team should take up this issue along with the media.

Farida Rizwan
Farida Rizwan
from Bangalore
2 years ago

Poeple living in bribed houses fear satire and cartoons. Shame on them. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Well, unfortunatly that's how it is. I am not sure if they hosted it in India or outside, but if you have hosted it out of the country than I think there is some safeguard.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Foolishness to gag and control people like this! Curbing the biggest boon of democracy in this manner, shall lead them nowhere!

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
2 years ago

Oh man, this is too much. I guess they want to start a movement,ivoke some violence so that on that pretex they can call emergency and protect the "family legacy"

Indi blogger is perhanps the biggest communityof bloggers in india , we all should do something on blogsphere. This is not right in any sense

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
2 years ago

Looking for suggestions on how we can show our protests and solidarity?

1# we Blog-thats taken

2#for 1 week, we have some sort of popup on our home pages that informs visitors about whats going on.

I personally also plan to put up a banner on all my youtube videos informing the readers what is happening.Can somebody gove me a blog link where i can get the details of this case.

I am leaving my lucrative jon in US to go for MBA in India and settle there only ..but we are becoming like china,i dont want to live in china.

We all need to take this as a persoal fight

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Atleast in United States you can take a stand. Unfortunately the overgrown legal system and hence the loopholes and redtapes that come with it alongwith the incompetency (its a pro over here) of the judges and the politicians who clearly don't know how the internet works gives the corroding system to do as they please. On top of it a significant amount of entities in the mainstream media will very much love if the content filled sites are shut down.  It goes without saying that if people here make a stand, they risk of being shut down themselves. I seriously doubt any group will take a stand unless a group of people who have nothing to loose takes a front stand. When I said this to Anandtech's editor, he was at a loss of words. Banning a satarical site pretty much proves that the satires are hard facts. Its obvious that our Prime minister is nothing more than a front face for Sonia Gandhi who has been ruling the country. I mean look at it: Her highness and her knights are raiding the free land and attacking those who speak the facts. You can't even trust the BJP, they're even bigger mess.

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
2 years ago

That's why IndiBlogger has always been hosted outside India. They can still ask the ISPs to block us though. Yell

Thanks for the link Sorcerer, saw it on IndiChat earlier and we tweeted it. Disappointed to hear that BigRock took the site down without making any fuss. Frown

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Oh God looks like WSJ India has an incompetent writer amongst them. He termed Vinay Rai, the man behind the censorship as "censorship crusader". Crusader? He's a criminal of freedom of speech. This is some bullshit PR. I mean, read this garbage: http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2012/01/16/meet-vinay-rai-indias-censorship-crusader/

I am sick and I am tired that my religion is used as a weapon to gain votes and to fulfill someone's personal vendetta to be immoratalised in the history books. Sure, there are contents that are really hurtful, but isn't that the reason why companies have terms and conditions? If you don't like, you report it: to facebook, google, those who are hosting the website, etc. If there is a lot of complaint, I am sure they will do the needful. There have been many hate blogs in the past and when a lot of people lodged a complaint, most of the time they have been removed. So what gives?

I am so very dissapointed at Amol Sharma and Preetika Rana. I've sent a tweet to Amol Sharma. "Crusader"??? Do these writers even know how the internet works? Vinay Rai himself says that he is not active in social media so how the hell he can keep such an opinion about the internet? You want to prescreen something? Prescreen the bullshit that is going on in TV channels first. During the Delhi rains last year, Zee news once had showed clipping of the floodwater collection that happens in Khar Subway (located in western suburbs of Mumbai).

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
2 years ago

We can always Blog about it, extensively.That is not offensive yet.

We can inform people about this site being blocked. I dont think we have reached such a gut that we can get banned for showing support. For once. people registered with big rock should abandon them. Simailar to what people did with Go daddy.

If there are no reprecussions for companies also, i guess we will soon recah a stage where this very post can land me in 10 years of jail

farziadmin
farziadmin
from delhi
2 years ago

a comment from him

" I did not deem it appropriate to approach foreign companies myself"

Hahaha, shows how ignorant he is. Come one man, say that you wanted publicity and you dont really care about it. You let the things remain on internet for more than a year(even though they were offensive) because you did not deem fit to approach facebook?

A small complaint form would have suffuced, it takes hardly 30 secs to report something as offensive

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

In that case, we need numbers and we need to have a cordinated effort. Its not going to be possible if we don't have massive groups of people ready to do this. Its now or never guys. Remember this, if this is entertained they can stifle you and your blog, especially those who have hosted it in Indian servers. People who want to blog about this and tweet it, use the hashtag #internetcensorshipindia. I would be speaking to few international online media editors and see if they can put up an article about this.

farziadmin
farziadmin
from delhi
2 years ago

We dont host on bigrock, but regarding everything else. We are IN.

Blogging , tweeting everything.We are a satire news site ,who knows we could be next

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

I am getting a feeling that media barons, corporates and lobbyists are involved in this in some form (paranoid it maybe, but there are certain like this which makes me say so). That's a tale for another day but I think as of now we should start blogging, tweeting about this. The more we do it, the better.

farziadmin
from delhi
2 years ago

The link doesnt work. What exactly was it?

I remember IIPM founder Arindam choudhry wanted this to happen, he wanted to gag google for telling ppl how bad his institute was

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Arindam Choudary is another character.

I've been criticizing Reliance for sometime as they are the first to censor the internet by blocking file sharing websites when 2 of their movies were released: Singham and Don 2. It was during Don 2 where things went out of control when a judge gave them a court permission to censor filesharing sites and also force other ISPs to do the same. Then all of a sudden airtel had to ban file sharing websites. Now we see this shit and then Reliance funding TV18 to buy more channels. Media barons and corporates are involved because they are loosing money because of the internet. It shouldn't come as a surprise, but corporates and lobbyists and politicians owe eachother favours so let's just say it looks as if a situation is formed that a group of people want to gag the people and they are promoted by reporters who either don't know what they are saying or don't know how the internet works- or they are obviously under such company's paycheque.

Indianomics
Indianomics
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Sad to know that things like this happened. AS a community, we should be responding strongly against this. I am not sure how, but slowly we have to start getting this feelers out to the government that we are not taking things lightly. 

As Renie said, its wise to host a website out side of India, however our ISPs can block it. At the same time, if the ISPs are blocking it, you cannot update it without going through a proxy. Situation would be far worse.

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Best thing to do for now is to blog about it and people that the best safety net for bloggers by being in non-Indian Servers. People who have blogged about it can tweet it with the hashtag #Internetcensorshipindia and make it to be noticed by people like arcstechnica, BBC UK, few Indian journos, maybe some politicians who tweet, etc. If its possible maybe have a special indivine subsection for this. If there is a significant amount of bloggers voicing out, I am sure that there will be some editors of the respected publication who would love to see it. Again, its a numbers game. So people will need to voice out their opinion.

I know this isn't a contest or something, but blogging isn't always about that. I don't live in China and I don't like to be controlled as one.

DS
from Mumbai
2 years ago
Its there in trending topics in Indivine!!
Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
2 years ago

yes there is a trending topic. I posted the first post on indivine on this to register my protest

I also spoke to a few NGOs and one responded, they are also thinking on the same lines. They even suggested staging protests if possible .

Also we need to start an aggressive online campaign for this. These things work . 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

I've contacted Aseem Trivedi who owns cartoonsagainstcorruption.com and this is what he said:BigRock has notified him only after suspending the domain address and the hostspace. There is no legal notice, no court order, no advance warning, nor even a letter/email to request to remove the objectionable content. All they have said is that they have received a complaint from Mumbai Crime Branch to Big Rock to shut down the website. I've told him about this discussion in Indiblogger via phone and I've forwarded this link to him. He agrees that we should make a cordinated effort in voicing out our opinions and will be discussing with us here.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

Here's another funny thing: Aseem Trivedi did not receive any notice from the Mumbai Crime Branch.

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
2 years ago

Awesome job, Thanks sorcerer

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
2 years ago

I might be premature, but according to this Reliance have blocked access to a forum called Broadband India. Can Reliance internet users confirm this?

Dream Peddler
from Kolkata
2 years ago

Soc : its opening in my system :-(

1-20
21-40 41-58
LockSign in to reply to this thread