Do people read fiction on blogs?

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Are blogs a good medium for fiction? I am wondering if people look to blogs as a place for reading fiction? Blog is very popular for advise on technical matters and products, travel tips and a common man's perspective on latest news. But I am wondering if at all there will be people intrested in reading fiction from blogs. 

I won't even ask about poetry because I know the answer. Only very few people want to read poery even from books and don't think too many people are keen on even Wordsworth and Tennyson. But fiction everyone likes. So wondering if anyone would read fiction from blogs. Of course lot of people like to write fiction on blogs. And the people who write visit the other people's blogs to encourage them in order to get reciprocal visits. Similarly other genre bloggers visit fiction bloggers to get visits back on their traveI or social topic blog. I am not talking about those people. I am talking the general reader like the ones who buys and reads fiction books. Would they read fiction on a blog?

First 1-20
21-25
Replies 21 to 25 of 25 Descending
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

And if e-reading was an effective alternative for paper reading, books will no more get published. No one will buy books if they can read a pirated pdf copy.  That means this is not only my personal mannerism.

I will buy a book if I want to read it. I do not want pdf. What will you do Micky?

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
11 years ago

I shall do what is most convenient and efficient for me, as do you.

But why are you using a non sequitur as part of your argument? Or, are you saying that no one watches films in cinema halls because they can watch a pirated DVD, that no one buys CDs and music from the Internet because they can buy pirated copies, and that no one buys computer software because they can get pirated copies--is Microsoft about to go bankrupt?

Also, you dd not justify your argument by stating to what cost you will continue to read published, printed books. As the decades go by and more and more people read original works via Kindle, pdf, online and others, there will be fewer printed books. Even now, Encyclopaedia Britannica and Oxford English Dictionary are available only online. As more and more publishers become reluctant to print books, the supply will lessen, and the costs to consumers who buy those books will go up. How much are you willing to pay for a book?

Finally, why are you arguing against your own best interests? It is difficult for me to define your blog in one word, but I think that "stories" would be apt--either in the form of fiction, or in the idea of trying to get a point across. Are you saying that your readers ought to get such stories from printed books rather than from your blog?

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

You missed an "if". I said if e-readig was an effective alternative for paper reading, books will no more get published.

About encyclopedias, I have clarified that in this forum.

About my blog, I'm happy if people read my posts online. But my humble request to them is,

For better reading experience, take a print out of my posts and read.

Radha Sawana
Radha Sawana
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@The Fool: 

I think people will love reading fiction on a blog, especially if it is broken down into short stories. I am following your own Hogwarts Origins, and I like it. I like it because I get a short interesting story delivered to my inbox at fairly regular intervals. The story doesn't keep me engrossed and completely cut-off from the world as a novel does, but it makes my day slightly more interesting. 

Personally, I write about experiences from my life. But when I wrote my first short story, my friends/followers were enthralled. They urged me to continue the story instead of writing non-fictional stuff. 

So based on my own and my friends' opinion, there is a market for blog-fiction.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Thanks Radha. Makes me feel very glad to know you enjoy my Hogwarts Origins series. People have liked my stories but not on a regular basis. And the ones who regularly seemed to enjoy are the ones who expect me to read what they writed and enjoy their works.

Rahul
Rahul
from Kolkata
11 years ago

TF, I think blogs are not a good place to keep writing fiction. It is good for starters. To gauge reaction to your stuff. But once that is over, I guess it is better to seek other avenues. Send your stuff to publishers and so on. There is a time when the leap must be taken. :-) I guess you should take the jump now.

First 1-20
21-25
LockSign in to reply to this thread