Your reply has been posted. Use the "Track this topic" link to stay in the discussion.

Wordpress blog - Hindi plugins not working - help sought

Sanjeev Sabhlok
Sanjeev Sabhlok
from Melbourne
9 years ago

How do I get Wordpress to display Hindi fonts?

I'm using a Whitehouse theme in Wordpress. When I apply standard Hindi (Indic) plugins, they don't work at all. Even when some of these plugins offer me a choice to enter text in Hindi, they don't work - only display English. I then tried to cut and paste from the google transliteration tool. The cut-paste works and displays the text in the draft Wordpress post but when I save the post, Wordpress displays question marks instead, e.g. ??????. 

What is happening? Is there something wrong with my wordpress php files?

Additional Details

I'm using a Whitehouse theme in Wordpress. When I apply standard Hindi (Indic) plugins, they don't work at all. Even when some of these plugins offer me a choice to enter text in Hindi, they don't work - only display English. I then tried to cut and paste from the google transliteration tool. 

The cut-paste works and DISPLAYS the text in the DRAFT Wordpress post but when I SAVE the post, Wordpress displays question marks instead, e.g. ??????. 

I've ensured that my browser is fully set up for Indian languages. I can read ALL Hindi blogs. I can even SEE the Hindi fonts when I start a post on Wordpress.

Only after SAVING the Hindi disappears and I get ????? instead.

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Sujith
Sujith
from Kerala
9 years ago

To write and display unicode Hindi font correctly, you have to do some editing in the config.php file of your blog.

Open up ‘wp-config.php’ from the root directory of your WordPress installation.Add ‘//’ at the very beginning of these two lines:define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8′);define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);So that section should now look like this://define(‘DB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8′);//define(‘DB_COLLATE’, ”);

Save the file.

Sanjeev Sabhlok
Sanjeev Sabhlok
from Melbourne
9 years ago

Thanks, Sujith, it worked! I'm finally going to be able to publish my posts in Hindi! much appreciated.

Regards

Sanjeev

Sanjeev Sabhlok
Sanjeev Sabhlok
from Melbourne
9 years ago
Sanjeev Sabhlok
Sanjeev Sabhlok
from Melbourne
9 years ago

Sujith,  A problem has cropped up:

http://sabhlokcity.com/2010/08/‘sensible’-people-avoid-politics-like-the-plague/

The inverted commas are now seen as diamond images with a question mark inside them.  Is there a way to fix that? Looks like this is a consequence of fixing the wp-config.php file.

Regards

Sanjeev

Sujith
Sujith
from Kerala
9 years ago

Nothing wrong with wp-config.php file. It may be your theme or plugins issue. I think the problem is with title only. Try to retype the title and update the post.

Sanjeev Sabhlok
Sanjeev Sabhlok
from Melbourne
9 years ago

Thanks Sujith, once again.

Your solution has worked. I also found the same problem had occurred inside some (a few) of these blog posts, but at least I now know how to fix this problem. So now I can write Hindi and English posts on the same blog. Excellent outcome.

Regards

Sanjeev

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
9 years ago

@Sujith - nice work, helping out a fellow IndiBlogger. Much appreciated! Smile

Akash Kumar
Akash Kumar
from Jaipur
9 years ago

@Sujith...

appreciate your attitude of helping a fellow blogger.

Nice work. Hope you continue the good work.

Would like to thank on behalf of blogger community.

Thanks.

LockSign in to reply to this thread