Anti-Smoking Campaign

Chicky Kadambari
Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Smoker's Paradise! (Or hell perhaps?)

Do you REALLY need that smoke?

What kind of air do you want your kids to breathe in?

Indiblogger has a huge readership... & we can either use it just to get more traffic our way... or we can use it as a social platform to bring about a change in our society. The choice is ours.

What do you choose?

Regards,Kaddu

Edited 7 years ago
Reason: broken link
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
sm
sm
from india
10 years ago

smoke is not required .

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Sorry guys, for being so late in my reply - was in the middle of some exams... & was also trying to add a navigation bar to my blog's template, because I couldn't switch to some other template which already has a navigation bar... I'm too addicted to my current 'lighthouse' template! :-(

miss_teerious / Review "miss_teerious" / Vote for "miss_teerious"

Prasad Np
Prasad Np
from Delhi / Gurgaon
10 years ago

Smoking kills, and I am sure it is adding to global warming also.

So

NO SMOKING            Sealed

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Which means that smokers (heavy smokers that is) are suicidal in nature?

Websnacker
Websnacker
from New York
10 years ago

so, you are the other Kadambari here. :)

Anyway, it all boils down to the individual choice. Folks who care, dont smoke or at least stop smoking. Its elemental.

Review my Blog / Follow me on Twitter / Websnacker / Ideasonic Studios

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Oh YOU are the Websnacker! And I have been enquiring about you from all my regular blog readers! Well, not all ok... only the ones I got a chance to chat with, through that yahoo pingbox I have recently installed on my blog!

Your pic in my follower widget doesn't give the link to your blog. And u didn't leave any comments either! Totally baffling mystery! But finally I can hv a look at ur blog! Like the way u hv created ur signature here! It's cool! I'm gonna copy it! :p

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

yes, its individual choice and every one who smokes comes up with a justification. Yes i do smoke but when its an occasion (party) or when I am too strained to continue (happens rarely). That too, not exceeding one or two ***s.

May be people who are addicted to it and those who can't do without it should take rehabitilation.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
10 years ago

oh! did nt knew F A G gets converted to * automatically.

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Ha ha ha! At the "***"! :p

Well yes... the chain smokers were the ones targetted by my post. 'Coz one or two puffs a day aren't really that bad. i mean, we drink coffee too, don't we... when we need the energy boost that comes with caffeine during a particularly lousy day! But people who are addicted (to either smoke or coffee) need to seek some serious help... 'coz it seems like they just can't face life's reality without the support of regular smoke!

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
10 years ago

I'm completely, 100% against the smoking ban. There are 1001 and then some problems with India, targetting smoking in public places is a very soft target. Actually researched statistics for a post on my blog that proved that if you live in Bombay, it's the equivalent of smoking 100 cigarettes a day. Industrial and vehicular pollution is the bigger killer, not cigarettes.

cheers!

Prashant.

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

So? You are going to use that as an excuse to let smokers free? But that's such a limited perspective! Industrial & vehicular pollution is strong, I agree... & I have written a post on that too sometime ago... you can check it here if you feel like... "I Hate News!"... but that above statement sounds so kiddish like "everybody cheats in exams, so why not me?" Well if everybody was going to jump in the well, would you follow them too?

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
10 years ago

There is a famous quote by GB Shaw - Your freedom ends where my nose begins.

That's the case with smoking.As long as you do not interfere with someone else need for fresh air it is fine.Any habit is bad and so is smoking.Lets not make too much of a fuss on this.

Just to put things in perspective Bismillah Khan smoked two packs of "Wills" everyday till his very end and he died at ripe age of 90.He used to play Shehnai which obviously requires a lot of breath control and lung power so the relation between Smoking and disease is not completely established but is as random as life and death are.Everyday we see Tee totallers getting heart attack and cancer and if we just compare the figures we will come to the silly conclusion that it is because of fresh air that they got the disease.

If a cigarrette can help you fight stress once in a while so be it.You will never know what is more harmful to your heart the smoke or the stress ?

To each his own.Period.

Sumedh Hoskote
from New York
10 years ago

"relation between Smoking and disease is not completely established but is as random as life and death are. Everyday we see Tee totallers getting heart attack and cancer and if we just compare the figures we will come to the silly conclusion that it is because of fresh air that they got the disease."

You can smoke as much as you want, if you wish, but these statements could not be any further from the truth. They are totally incorrect and uninformed... I am sure you have not, as you claim, actually compared any figures because they provide a totally different verdict.

Google up "Framingham heart study"... this is one of the largest, most rigorous and most reliable studies in the whole of medical literature. They have been studying effects of smoking and other factors since 1948. So the odd case of Bismillah Khan really holds no water. For every one case like this, there are tens of thousands of others who suffer from "fresh air." What escapism - fresh air!

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

@ Rajnish: I agree - any habit/addiction is bad. And there's nothing wrong with one or 2 smokes a day to give you the 'kick'! My post was targeted to the chain-smokers. As for Bismillah Khan... well, can't really comment on it, 'coz I didn't see him smoking 2 packs a day with my own eyes... & the grapevine, as well all know, has a tendency to exaggerate news! So unless someone comes & tells me he has actually seen the guy smoking 2 packs a day, I won't hold that story true.

@ Sumedh -Yeah 'escapism' it is! The truth is that there is no fresh air left in the cities, with the amount of vehicles running on the streets & the industries being setup in agricultural land, of all places! But it's not going to help playing the game of "first you - first you"! All sources of pollution need to be tackled... and smoking is one such source!

Mukund
Mukund
from Noida
10 years ago

No ban or warnings can stop people from smoking as then people will find a way around it. This has to come from within... till they really want to give it up I don't think there is a way to stop it....Also I don't think anyone can stop people from smoking as it is really their life but they should remain away from me while somking...

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

LOL @ "they should remain away from me while smoking"! :)

Mukund, that's what my question is... WHY SMOKE?

Just want the smokers to dig within themselves & answer honestly as to why they need that smoke as badly as air to breathe! Like you said, the change has to come from within. Unless you eradicate the need for smoking, you can't eradicate smoking. The roots must go.

Therefore, I ask once again - Do you REALLY need that smoke? And I mean, REALLY really?

Sumedh Hoskote
Sumedh Hoskote
from New York
10 years ago

I think that public perception of "Smoking kills" is limited to cancer (correct me if I am wrong here). Sure, some out of the hundreds of chemicals present in cigarettes, do cause cancer. But that is far from the whole picture.

Smoking leads to an increased risk of high blood pressure, accelerated narrowing of arteries, abnormal cholesterol, coronary heart disease (risk for heart attacks), stroke, peripheral vascular disease (decreased circulation in usually legs or intestines), in addition to a greater risk of lung infections (pneumonia), obstructive lung disease (emphysema, chronic bronchitis) and other debilitating illnesses.

Add to all this an increased risk of asthma, allergies and sinusitis in household contacts, especially kids (smoke remains on the smoker's clothes even if he/she doesn't smoke indoors).

So cancer is merely the visible tip of the iceberg. The truth is that the above diseases occur in far more people than does cancer. And they, too, are severely restricting to live with.

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Just want to clarify here -

Diseases do not happen because of smoking or lifestyle or such external factors. Diseases simply signify a dis-ease WITHIN yourself! The external factors just provide a fertile environment for the seeds to grow. It's like fungus thrives in warm & damp places. Same way.

That being said, it can bring down the intensity of the disease by not providing a suitable environment for it to grow.

Nishchaya Bahuguna
Nishchaya Bahuguna
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Although neither do I smoke, nor I advocate smoking, I would still say that it is indeed a matter of personal choice. As long as it isn't inducing passive smoking, it is acceptable to me. Moreover, the "kick" that one gets with a puff may not be understandable by lesser mortals like us Wink

Even the government does not have the guts to ban the cigarettes and liquor for the simple reason that it generates humongous amount of revenues. No wonder ITC is doing so well even in recession days Laughing

@Rajnish: I have seen Bismillah Khan smoking "beedis" before the concert, not sure of the brand though.

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
10 years ago

Nishchaya, totally agree with the government's share of revenue bit! ITC would perhaps be doing better in this recession hit economy... 'coz more of us mortals would be stressed out... & would be hunting for that lifesaver "kick" more often these days!

So once again the question - Why DO we need that smoke? To fight stress? Does that mean that our stress-tolerance level is so low?

LockSign in to reply to this thread