Moving blog to own domain from blogspot

I am contemplating to move my blog from blogspot to my own address. Anyone can assist me by providing pros and cons of using various popular webhosting service providers. I am not particularly looking for the cheapest of options but for the most cost effective one. As intorduction I am an amateur blogger and that is not envisioned to alter in the short term.

Thanks in advance

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
5 years ago

Having your hosting on blogspot is much better than most shared servers. Worst ones are the ones owned by a company called EIG and GoDaddy- bluehost, hostgator. Avoid them at all costs. Basic rule is to avoid those recommendations given by people with a reference link. There are some webmaster forums like warrior forum. The Primary concern during shifting is the URL structure. Wordpress is different from blogspot. I learnt this the hard way. You can set the url structure manually but just how its done by googling out that instructions first. Why do you need to shift from blogspot to your own? You can just buy a domain and assign it to your blogspot. 

Suman Deb Ray
from Kolkata and Doha
5 years ago

I would request you if I may, names of reliable providers who sells domain name. Its cost etc. Thanks

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
5 years ago

U dont need hosting service . its given free by google.. U just have to buy a domain for 99 rs / first year and 600 for second year onwards.. thats like 50 rs/ month

There are no cons when it comes to migrating to a custom domain.. u only get more visibility, more opportunities and more chances of collaboration etc..

U dont need to do anytn technical as well.. u just have to do 2-3 steps and u should be setup in minutes

Suman Deb Ray
from Kolkata and Doha
5 years ago

Thats encouraging. Thanks

Maheshwaran Jothi
Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago

Yes, hosting with google seems to be a safe bet. Good that you decided against the cheapest option. i did that mistake and had to change plan in less than 3 months!! Avoid hassle. Good luck.

Suman Deb Ray
from Kolkata and Doha
5 years ago

Thanks

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
5 years ago

U can buy the domain in Namecheap . or try godaddy.  GOdaddy has poor customer service but  all ur buying is a domain. so doesnt matter actually. because once u buy the domain, u hv no necessity of a interaciton with them.  its cheaper if u buy a 2-3 year plan. if its a 1 year plan, just go for namecheap (Worldclass in terms of support)

Suman Deb Ray
from Kolkata and Doha
5 years ago

Excuse my ignorance in this respect... Please assist me by answering the following if you can manage time.

I start with buying a domain name say from Google, Namecheap of Godaddy or from the likes.

Then I read that I need to register the name with some one else ... are these two seperate action or its one and same.

What will be the renewal process. I gather I need to continue paying every year to retain my domain name. 

Where will I get the necessary templates and tools if I am to build my web page from the scratch.

Sorry for bothering you 

Vandana
Vandana
from Mumbai
5 years ago

I am in agreement with Karthik. You can purchase a domain from Godaddy for an inexpensive plan. If you wish, buy a one year plan initially and if happy with it, when it comes up for renewal, go for the two-year or three-year plan which will allow you to retain the domain for that much time with no hassles of having to constantly renew it each year.

One word of caution: absolutely do not fall into the trap of emails supposedly from GoDaddy telling you that your domain is up for renewal, that you need to click on a link and update info of your bank account, card CVV, etc. Always contact GoDaddy's customer service no. and clarify whether or not your domain is up for renewal. If it is, then go directly to your official, valid GoDaddy account, sign in there (not through any email links sent to you) and do the needful.

Suman Deb Ray
from Kolkata and Doha
5 years ago

Thanks for the useful tips.

Its a bad world out there too.

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
5 years ago

Hi Suman, if u buy a domain , u just have to go to their domain settings page and update nameservers of blogspot (which is available in ur blogspot third party settings page) or u can simply google the process .. shouldn't take more than 15 mins. Thats' it . ur all done.. and ur domain will start showing all your blog posts (and also automatically redirect ur earlier .blogspot.com site to the new one)

Regarding godaddy calls/emails, every year u hv to renew (or u can buy a 2-3 year plan ur choice)

To build a site from scratch, its better u do it in Wordpress. for that u have to buy hosting separately ( will cost probably 1200-1500 a year) and then domain . U can build ur website using any page builder tool and design any way u want.. hope this is clear?

Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
5 years ago

Regarding templates, u can use one of the existing 10000 templates available for free if u buy a hosting in WP ( there's plenty for each category). But if ur tooo insistent on ur own design, u hv to buy " divi page builder or something similar to it

Suman Deb Ray
from Kolkata and Doha
5 years ago

Thanks for that. I now have a fairly good perception about how things are done.

Maheshwaran Jothi
from Chennai
5 years ago
+1 to that. Personally I am happy that I moved to wordpress. Even before I got my own domain name, it was a complete different experience with wordpress. There are literally tons of blogs that can help you in each steps. Go for it.

Thanks for you time

Seema Misra
Seema Misra
from Bangalore
5 years ago

I have the free wordpress blog. But it does not allow me to use apps. Do you guys use the paid versions?

Also, after buying my own domain name should I continue hosting on free worldpress? Most of the articles talk about hosts like Bluehost, which is expensive. If I don't take a paid hosting, is a domain name still worth it?

If you have your own domain, it won't make much sense to use the free - Wordpress.com. To use Wordpress.org you will need a domain and some hosting service. I just moved my free wordpress.com blog to a GoDaddy hosting service with domain registration ( as a package for 3 years ). since I am familair with Wordpress, I am using Wordpress.org s/w to build out the content using themes / plugins avaialble at Wordpress.org.

Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
5 years ago

If you want to project yourself as a professional blogger, you cant be quoting a .wordpress.com site. you have to have a .in or .com  site on ur own.

Here's how much i pay..  700 / year for a domain.   and 1600/year (Namecheap) for hosting.. that comes to 150/month which is absolutely nothing compared to the paid collaborations you'll get once your site is successful . The entire year's hosting and domain can be got in a single paid post.. just as an example.

Seema Misra
Seema Misra
from Bangalore
5 years ago

Thanks, SloWord and Karthik. Yes, I require a professional website for my art and writing projects. This seems like a good investment. Karthik, did you guys purchase the domain from GoDaddy?

Srinivasan
Srinivasan
from Chennai
5 years ago

Another free wordpress user who is trying to understand a little more here.

What about these Personal and Premium plans offered by Wordpress? It says, you can get a custom domain name and also 6GB/ 13GB storage with it. Does it mean that I get both domain and hosting from these plans?

If yes, what is the advantage of getting a domain and hosting service from a different provider other than wordpress? Is it the cost?

Amitesh Gupta
Amitesh Gupta
from Patna
5 years ago

You can buy from Google domain or namecheap if you are willing to use your credit card.. otherwise Godaddy or Bigrock is good too, Godaddy better.

Seema Misra
Seema Misra
from Bangalore
5 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I bought a domain from GoDaddy and shared hosting from NameCheap. Hope I get some projects to recover the cost! 

-SNIP- 

Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
5 years ago

No link sharing pls

LockSign in to reply to this thread