Contests and defaulting Sponsors

C. Suresh
C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Though I would not address these issues to all Sponsors of contests and, indeed, am willing to extend the benefit of the doubt to some Sponsors who appear to be defaulting, I think it is relevant for us bloggers to consider our course of action in the case of those Sponsors who seem intent on taking bloggers for a ride.

I know I have not received either the Lakme or the Sunsilk hampers - which were promised to all acceptable entries and since I won prizes in both of them I cannot be considered to have put in an unacceptable entry. Hampers seem apparently to have been dispatched on a pick-and-choose basis. I do not know if I am a one-off case or whether this is the experince of a significant number of relevant bloggers.

ACTION POINT : I think we need to consolidate information of how many have not received hampers and consider skipping contests of defaulting Sponsors. A request for Indi too - will they consider only e-vouchers when sponsors promise prizes to all entries.

I had already heard of a case with Samsung which is reported to have attempted to coerce winning Bloggers on a trip abroad. What triggered this Forum thread by me is a recent incident of a blogger being asked to pay upfront money for receiving a prize that she won in a contest on the pretext of taxes (Not an Indi Contest by the way). When a Sponsor acts like this, I think that such a Sponsor needs to be banned from sponsoring any contests.

Two things we need to have - information about the behavior of Sponsors and the will to uphold our own self-respect. It is irritating enough for me to have sponsors think I shall write because they dangle carrots in front of me. It is infuriating for them to also take me so lightly that they feel they can break their promises with impunity.

I have ceased to take interest in any contests and, thus, this is not a self-serving post. I think it is time some action is taken to ensure that Companies treat bloggers with more respect.

Let us see some signs of 'Corporate Ethics' in their treatment of bloggers.

Edited 11 years ago
Reason: Change in category
First 1-20
21-27
Replies 21 to 27 of 27 Descending
Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

@Suresh -Hi Suresh, is this topic specific to IndiBlogger and its contests? As far as the samples are concerned,  I can assure you that the dispatch of hampers is never done on a pick and choose basis! :-) We give out 500 - 2000 samples, and the process it goes through from the warehouse to reaching you is quite complex. Even the wording that goes in to the attached letter has to go through various approvals, and the packaging of so many hampers is never easy. At times, delays are inevitable. However, we ensure that hampers are sent to every single blogger who applies for it. All our partners have either already sent out the merchandise, or they are in the process of fulfilling them. Once the hampers are sent however, that's where things tend to go wrong. We have had issues where boxes have been opened and the contents replaced, or hampers being returned because there's nobody at home, or hampers with opened and empty bottles! (Somewhere out there, is a courier chap with really straight hair) I mentioned this on an another thread - we''re building a system wherein everything that our partners send can be tracked. In other words, we're building in dispatch numbers into our system, so that there is no ambiguity and every order can be tracked & followed up on. This system should be ready in a week's time, post which, we intend to do a test run.

As far as prizes are concerned, IndiBlogger has never asked for taxes to claim a prize. As far as cash prizes go, we were told by our auditors that we need to deduct tax, and IndiBlogger bore the brunt of the same - ensuring that the winners got the exact amount which was promised.

swati kalwar
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Though I did't want to compare the various platforms, since this has come up from what I saw the T&C , when the winners will be announced ans the date when prize will be dispatched is clearly mentioned on the indiblogger's contest page.

About the samples I have lost so many of them (not from indiblogger though) and there also have been instances when parcel was opened things taken out and packed well again that I realised it only later when I opened the package. Tracking system would help eliminate this problem (y) 

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Hi Renie! Let me assure you that I have had no complaints with Indi. Yes, I have not received those two hampers and I had no reason to know who was responsible for sending them. If Indiblogger was responsible, rest assured that my automatic assumption is that it would be some glitch and not a deliberate act. My experience thus far has been that you have been scrupulously honest in your dealings.

This thread is here because bloggers here are also contestants elsewhere and it is because I was sure about your openness that I used this forum to inform fellow-bloggers of these issues and discuss possible remedies. Had I had any doubts on this count I would not have trusted this thread to exist for any length of time :)

I opened out the topic with issues I had merely because I did not want reluctance to name problem contests from others - and not because I had serious issues. If, perchance, I gave you the impression that I had any doubts about the integrity of the Indiblogger team I assure you that such a thought never crossed my mind. Accept my apology I have hurt your team inadvertently.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

No hard feelings Suresh, it's all good! Smile

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

And, I suppose, that Bloggers are free to discuss problems they may have on contests held elsewhere? There is a concerned person here who seems to think that it is prohibited :)

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Uncle, first do let me know where I have used the word prohibited. Respectfully, understand what I have said. If you have decided to not to understand, that is my problem. If you've read the part before this comment by Renie, I have said what others do is uncontrollable. What Indiblogger does can be discussed. Renie has pointed out that the cash amount that Indiblogger assures to give is after tax deduction, not before. In a way, there's nothing wrong with after deduction as pretty much everyone does it. This is an effort that Indiblogger has made because they believe it is right. Now if others don't do it, it doesn't mean it is wrong. It simply means that they prefer doing this. Ask your chartered accountant. He would say that it won't make a good impression on many, but deducting the tax amount and then giving the remainder amount to the winner. And Sureshjee, on another note, I would appreciate if you have the decency to name the person rather than saying "the concerned person". I have respects for you, therefore I mention your name. Hopefully, judging by your profile picture I can only but hope you reflect the same wisdom and honour as I did!! Stop lashing people just because they're saying the opposite of what you've said. Same applies for that "10 shades..../50 shades..." discussion on facebook.

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@Sorc: I will assume that that 'Uncle' is meant in respect. There is an ad that has made 'Uncle' and 'Aunty' terms of contempt - so those are actually risky terms to use with people unknown to you these days :) Given that you acknowledge having respect for me allow me to give the following as avuncular advice. If you choose to see it as furthering the argument, I shall not indulge any further.

As far as the tax laws and adminstration thereof go, please do understand that I am a Finance MBA from IIM and I have dealt with these matters. In this very thread, you can see 2-3 messages by me stating that tax law implementation cannot be blamed on the sponsors PROVIDED it is mentioned upfront. That is one of the problems that I faced here with you. You assume that the other person is ignorant about what you are talking about - you may be well-meaning but it gives an impression of arrogance. In this case, a mere reading of all my messages in this thread would have told you that I knew about the tax laws and did not need to ask my 'Chartered Accountant' about it.

I would not have mentioned that FB incident here but for your mentioning it. And, believe it or not, I did not even know it was you there till the argument was all done and I checked up on who it was. As far as that incident is concerned, a person effectively says, "I am so happy that I am going to get published in this book" and you reply, "What a stupid title for the book". She was so happy and your comment pricked her balloon.

As far as the validity of your criticism goes, I have no arguments having discussed the same matter with TF in the HP meet. My point was very simple. THAT was not the place to give the criticism. And that was all I said initially. When I have been given to know that my action may have given unjustified hurt to someone, I apologise even when I intended no hurt. If you doubt that you only need to read my reply to Renie above.

Now, you did not do that and you poked fun at me and when I reacted you said that I was reacting badly because I could not take a difference of opinion. Were it a difference of opinion about whether the title was good or not, I can take all the criticism you can dish out. But there was no difference of opinion on that issue at all, the problem was only your manners and the hurt it caused the person concerned. If you think that your reaction to her message would cause no hurt to the majority you are welcome to check on that. And, all my objections were exclusively focussed on where you were voicing your criticism and not on what you were criticising and you persisted in coloring it as an objection to your criticism. What you said may be right but where you said it was wrong. What is right to do in the toilet is not fit to do in the kitchen.

I sincerely advise you to kindly consider the impact of your messages on the recipient in future before voicing them. We have common friends and they assure me that you are a good person at heart. I would hate to have a good person ruin relationships because he is too hasty in voicing his opinions.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Ofcourse its out of respect. What's wrong with you? I say something honestly and directly, you take it personally and when I give you respect you seem to be interested in misquoting it.

Really now??????I am not talking about what IT book says. I am saying based on observation what happens. Even for PC/Console gaming tournaments they do the same. They mention an amount such as 1 lakh, but they do a tax deduction and then give the amount. Its also one of the reason why many frown at contests/tournaments that give money, but they all do this. But there are those who give the full amount, but they give as cash in hand. Funny part is that some of them flashed their qualifications as well, saying that they know about the law and income tax. FYI, some of them are from IIM, whereas couple of them are from MET, ICFAI. The ones who promise the full amount and/or don't ask for a tax amount when giving an prize which comes with high value are the ones who don't talk about their degrees. Whom to believe and whom not to believe? Ultimately the contest participants and winners would cheated, yes????Seriously, you seem in the mood to troll me. Whatever rocks your boat.P.S.: No, I didn't make an indirect joke about you or make a pun or insulted your or disrespected you.

I didn't say anything wrong. Since when using the words "Stupid title" is bad and offensive? The choice of words in that FB words are so colourful as if I was commenting about the content of the book, which I already cleared it. But if people find it convenient to troll on someone like this, I bet they're famous at parties *sarcasm*. Have a cake, dude! (Dude is not a profanity word atleast in english or used out of disrespect. No, I am not saying this to troll you nor its a pun, I am just saying).

Farida Rizwan
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Renie thanks to your platform I have won quite some prizes on Indiblogger and some on other platforms without paying taxes but I did shell out Rs.15,000 as tax for the Tata Docomo 3G life contest without knowing you would have done it for me. Will keep that in mind next time. ;)

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Whatever has happened with Nabanita and other winners is really sad. Glad you wrote a post on the whole issue, Naba! Kudos!

My personal experiences with Indi (Contests and Otherwise) has been wonderful. As a blogger, I have enjoyed every moment of my participation with them, I have grown through them and I have lived my dreams through them.

Of course, I have also had my moments of concern but the response by the IndiTeam, each time I have turned to them for any kind of help or assistance has been prompt, friendly and supportive. There was a time when I had lost all hopes of my Expedia trip, thanks to a few of their T&C which were unacceptable to me. But all I had to do was give the IndiTeam a call and they stepped in, happily, willingly and courteously, taking it all in their own hands -- which meant negotiating and dealing on my behalf -- and finally handing me the grand prize just the way I wished it to be. It is only because of them, that my trip to Japan is a reality today.

Sometimes, things like these do have a tendency to spiral out of control but then that is also when, I believe, trust comes in. There is a reason why I call IndiBlogger - IndiFamily - and other directories just that.  There is a reason why I say – I love IndiBlogger and am yet to participate in contests at any other site except IndiBlogger. Trust is like that: it is not about the prize but more about those small little things that matter so much.

Rachna Parmar
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Arti That is really so good to know. My experience with Indiblogger has been great as well. They always reply quickly, are warm people and courteous. I got my Samsung Galaxy tab for one of the contests without any hassles. No taxes or other stuff asked for. It is all about trust I agree.

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Yes, Rachna. And they also are always willing to listen to you, one quality that has become so rare these days. No wonder, IndiBlogger is making it big and as a member, I feel so proud to see them do it the right way! Smile

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Actually Arti my experience has been only with Indiblogger. I do not participate in any contests anywhere else :) And, i agree, the team is very helpful. In fact, they do not even seem to wait for complaints. Quite often I have received mails from them about whether I had received hampers etc. even before I could think of asking.

I had to name names in my thread post in order to get other people to open up and I have only Indi experience :) Also, I could only think of IndiForum where I could open up this topic and have a discussion without any censorship. This may have created a misleading perception that I had complaints about Indiblogger. Certainly not the case.

In any nascent business, lots of unscrupulous people do come in. The only way to weed them out is to bring those actions to light. And that is what I intended doing in the only forum that I knew of which would put me touch with the affected people and not censor the topic.

DS
DS
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I don't think if I am qualified enough or not to opine on this thread as I have been a perennial loser in  contests! But I think that this is a serious issue and I read the said post by Nabanita and I am wondering why she has not taken names so that, in future other bloggers know what is possibly in store for them on that site.

Regarding Indiblogger I have to say that I have always had a wonderful experience here. I received my Melbourne Pen Drive case empty upon which I mailed Renie and Vineet and I was delivered another pen drive promptly. Also I recently received a Sunsilk hamper though I don't remember applying for it (I might have applied...I received the one for my contest entry long back!!)

I have applied for books numerous times on BA but have never received them. I have seen them give the books to bloggers who keep buttering/begging them for books on twitter. I then left a comment on their site asking for the reason - 

DS says: January 8, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Why do I never receive any book despite registering?? Can you clarify Blogadda team?

They never bothered to reply and I naturally stopped applying after that.

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Maybe you got mine DS :) Gimme my Sunsilk. I need it to straighten my hair :)

DS
from Mumbai
11 years ago
I will send it across happily. T&C -- You will have to bear the entire cost of dispatch :) (Dont blame me if you dont read this)
C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

hahaha DS! Now THAT is transparent dealing :) I think I will use one of my own ideas to straighten hair :)

Akanksha Dureja
Akanksha Dureja
from New Delhi
11 years ago

So far Indiblogger has always beena  wonderful experience for me. I have always recieved, what was promised. Sometimes a little late, but the promise was always kept. I think Indiblogger understands the thought that a blogging forum and bloggers are two sides of the same coin and one can't really exist and flourish without the other. BA, soemhow seems to miss on this important fact and seem to be self obsessed about something - I don't know what! They think they can take the blogging community for a ride and feel we exist because of them which is a fallacy. If there were no bloggers, what would they do all by themselves? It is a good idea to write posts, as suggested by Saru. I am in!

Deepa Duraisamy
from Mumbai
11 years ago

"A blogging forum and bloggers are two sides of the same coin and one can't really exist and flourish without the other. " Very well said.

Afshan
Afshan
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Thanks for posting this Suresh ! I actually posted such threads but they got drowned with time. Actually "ALL" my experiences with competitions were bad . My hopes rekindled only wen I got shooppers stop vouchers that too "ON TIME" . I waited waited and  am still waiting for Lakme hamper and so is sweta tiwary and many others. I dont bother about it now. Sunsilk is in waiting list. .. and few other things which are promised like "EVERY ENTRY GETS ONE" are in waiting list. Hence I cant comment on that but I can for sure say I will forget them with time.  My first entry was way back in 08 when I submitted for a contest "soch lo" and emotional attyachar . Dont exactly remember the date and the name of the contest. It was one of the very first contests of Indi. I got a mail that I won consolation prize (in top 20 or some thing). I was jumping with joy as it was first time to me. The prize was movie tickets or some thing. I did not GET THAT and from then it was like I "GOT used to " few goodies which I always saw in pictures but never received.

Its not at all about affording them or not. When you write some thing you also have goodie in mind. If its so tough to fulfill it its better to declare only first 3 prizes and nothing other than those ! but few sponsorers seem to be demanding taxes too for winning entries which is not even nominal and  which is highly uncalled for ! I never understood the concept of contests and the business motives or the judges mindsets but only thing I understood is not to give much weightage to goodies :)

Having said that we write as per our will, whatever we want to express but when we see the contest our eyes gleam but competition adds that extra spark and the effort to make the post "the best" but it should not become means to get disheartened ! Lastly I want to say thanks to indi for all the contests as I COULD Build my network and No thanks to many sponsorors who cant fulfill the promises irrespective of the forum which hosts the competition!

PS: I am still waiting for Lakme and sunsilk and also the original HP meet mug and I forgot few other goodies which If I dig mails will able to bring them out of excavations ;)

So far Dove has been a better sponsoror as I got hampers well in advance !

DS
from Mumbai
11 years ago
Afshan, its always better to shoot Indimails to Renie/Vineet if you do not receive your prize. They do follow up immediately and respond. If they dont reply after weeks (might happen sometimes as they might be busy with meets and miss the mails though it has not happened with me) then you can again send a gentle reminder about the issue. I am sure if you had done this you would have received all your vouchers/hampers/prizes.
C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Right in the middle of writing on this thread I got that Indi mug :) so maybe you too shall get it soon.

Afshan
Afshan
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@DS : U think I posted here with out doing any of those :) ? I mailed many a times and then posted on forums too anyway No regrets no complaints as of now as I am not taking much load and Indiblogger has sent a mug + another mug with a sorry note. Thats a sweet gesture . Thank You Renie and Team

@Suresh : Yep I got it just now like now now !! and an extra mug as i did not get these hampers . It was sweet as there was a sorry note attached to it

Thank You Indi 

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

Better late than never!

http://www.indiblogger.in/indispatch.php

InDispatch (beta) is up and learning to walk. More details on this thread.

C. Suresh
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Great Renie! And I confirm that I have received the Sunsilk Hamper last week :)

First 1-20
21-27
LockSign in to reply to this thread