Capital Punishment. Can you do it yourself?

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

It is a rule that if you want to receive a service from society, you must appreciate that it is a good service and you must be ready to do it yourself. Sometimes you may not be good at it. So you can let someone else do it.

For example, a doctor treates you. You want his service. So you must appreciate it is a good service. So you must be ready to be a doctor. But some of you do not have the skill to be a doctor. So you need not be a doctor.

Now comes the job of an executioner. If you think some criminals are to be hanged, you must be ready to do it by yourself. Here you can't say you don't have the skill to do it. It is very easy to hang a man. Can you do it? If you can't do it, don't advocate for it. Please do not say that you are a respected lady or a gentleman hence some hangman must do that job for you.

So whatever may the case. Let it be a murder of a rape. Do not advocate for death sentences if you can't do it by yourself.

Personally, I can't kill a man. So I say "Capital Punishment should be abolished".

Edited 11 years ago
Reason: modification of content.
Replies 21 to 40 of 47 Descending
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

That makes it four.

But there were many who argued for Capital punishment in another forum. It is not likely that most of them have not seen this forum. And I do not see any ladies here. Is it a coincidence or something in particular?

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

I think you may get better results if you this do on Facebook. All the ladies and others are out there.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Who gives a shit where the ladies are. This pisses me off. Substandard blogs written by chicks get all the votes, while I cant even get a review. Sometimes I think about using a female ID.

@Topic-

Jayan, if a cow takes a dump in the middle of the road, you would want it to be cleaned. But you won't be ready to do it. Does that mean that piece of cow shit should lie there for all eternity? There are people ready to do the job. There are people ready to pull the lever. So why complain about the people who wont pull the lever? If they cant, fine, let the people who can do it do it.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

That's exactly my point Stagg Mann. But they who cannot do it, shout more than who are ready to do it.

Many ladies wrote blogs on Delhi case. All of them demand Death punishment for the accused. Many of them would have seen this thread. But none of them comment on this.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

No only women, but many men also. For them Capital Punishment is just the pressing of keys on their laptop.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Capital punishment IS pressing keys on a laptop, or more specifically- pulling a lever. Its not a killing, simply an execution.

P V Ariel
P V Ariel
from Secunderabad
11 years ago

I fully agree with you about the abolition of death sentence, no doubt it should be abolished but the question you put forward is simply an uncalled for one? What a question it is? If somebody come forward to do that act will the authorities and the law system will keep quiet? Will the authority give permission to do so? These are some of the few question the author should be answered!

Nice to be here.

Keep inform

P Verghese Ariel

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

The question was posed to know how many people who want to get men killed in jail can help themselves.

P V Ariel
P V Ariel
from Secunderabad
11 years ago

And another point I want to add to my point is: No one on this earth can have or the liberty or right to end another person’s life, only the Creator God can do that act or have the power to do that. When you are asking or challenging others with such questions, you need to note this point.

Have a good day.

Best Regards

Philip Ariel

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I didn't say Capital Punishment can be allowed if someone comes ready to do that. The point is no one who is ready to do it can't ask for it. I just wanted to know that.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Hangman does not "kill" anyone, he merely "executes". There is a difference between a killer and an executioner. And please lets not bring God into this and turn it into pseudo-philosophical BS.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Ok. then. I do not stick on to any words. I do not ask you then "Can you kill a man? Instead I ask "Can you pull a lever"?

Gayathri
Gayathri
from Chennai
11 years ago

I have been telling from the time I heard about this gangrape news that the ones who gets involved in such activities should be killed in the most gruesome way possible, trust me I gave out options and thought OMG! I should probably meet a psychiatrist, I am psychotic or I should stop watching shows like criminal minds. So anyway, I can kill them not only by just hanging but I can slow torture them and kill them. Yes, maybe you can call me a psycho! but I can do it and I can do it with pleasure! Laughing

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Whether they should be tortured or killed in the most gruesome way possible is another topic of dicussion; which we can start. That will be an in depth discussion. This one is a simple one.

And you make your stand clear. Thank you.

Gayathri
from Chennai
11 years ago

My Stand is in my answer you just didn't see it.. I can do it! 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I'm sorry. I meant "You made your stand clear". I just said that in present tense. Thank you once again.

TangyTomatoTwist
TangyTomatoTwist
from Bangalore
11 years ago

yes I can Jayan ! I can hang them ...shoot them or  whatever it takes to make the world a better place for my daughter and millions of other innocent people out there ... and believe me my hands won't shake . 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Thank you tangy tomato twist for giving your opinion.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Jayan, according to your argument, our army shouldn't go to war either because they would be killing people, something you aren't ready to do. So let them throw away their guns and surrender.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Let me copy and paste my earlier comment.

The topic is "Capital Punishment". Not killing.

Killing will be needed some times. Like when a foreign county attacks us. Every citizen of our country must do that job as a duty.

But killing a man (let him be the soldier of the other army) in jail is different.

If you want one more example,

"Why no one dream to be a hangman while many dream to be an army man"?

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Nobody dreams of becoming a watchman either, or a sweeper, or a security guard, or a chaiwallah. So does that mean those services should be outlawed?

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

There are many kinds of jobs for every person. One which he dreams to do. The other which he likes to do. Then which he do not dislike to do (may be along with your dream). Then one which you will be forced to do. And there will be some which you will never ever do. Under any circumstances you won't do those jobs.

If you can't do a job (ex. hanging man) under any circumstances, you can't ask for that job to be done by anyone else.

Again if you are forced to do a job (ex. a watchman), strictly speaking you can't ask someone else to do that job also. But you may work as a watchman if you get decent salary.

This is the difference.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

And from the comments of Nandini Deka on this issue, I think she won't hang a man, even if she is payed a lack rupees.

But what if that much money is given for working as watchman?

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Every destined job should be reputed? If people ONLY did the "reputed" jobs, we wont have bus drivers, autowallas, cooks, waiters, watchmen and so on.

OP seems to be a troll.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

You do not know how much reputed is to live as an autowalla. Living as an autowalla or living as a Police Inspector, you say is reputed?

Let me state a few points.

A police officer works on orders given to him by superiors.

An autowalla works on his own orders.

A police man can't take leave without permission.

Autowalla need not inform anyone.

A police man needs to salute superiors.

Autowalla need not salute anyone.

A police man enjoys decipline.

Autowalla enjoys freedom.

Stephen
Stephen
from Raleigh
11 years ago

"Now comes the job of an executioner. If you think some criminals are to be hanged, you must be ready to do it by yourself. Here you can't say you don't have the skill to do it. It is very easy to hang a man. Can you do it? If you can't do it, don't advocate for it"

Before talking anything ,just think about the intensity of the crime. The world doesn' reacts when it happens ,but when it does happens  they come up with stupid questions. Why would one hang a man? Everyone has their own opinions. What skill do you need ?You say its easy to hang a man. Do you work as a hangman or what  ? You say not to support Capital Punishment. But don't you think there should be a fullstop to all such henious crimes. There should a strict punishment for all the 6 perpetrators and people should think twice before doing that. This is sad.Baseless!

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

As far as I see in films, its an easy job to hang a man, because,

You will never ever fail in doing it. Success assured.

There is no physical or mental strain involved in it.

That makes it simple.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I haven't said they must not be hanged (in this thread). I only said since I consider the job of hangman a non reputed job, I can't do it. Since I can't do it, I can't ask for anyone else to do it. If you can do it, you can ask for it.

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Jayan, I agree with you. I think I could execution someone, if there was reason enough. I mean that in all honesty, it's not that hard, as long as your conscience is clear. The only problem is, that I don't know if there are reasons out there that are strong/definitive enough to allow that rationale in my mind. Rape is a heinous crime, and the elephant in this room, the Delhi tragedy is just plain disgusting. I don't think the death sentence is any good. Someone said here that it acts as a deterrent to others who think about doing it.. I agree, that it would perhaps, make someone think twice. Assuming that someone who rapes 'thinks', and if they 'thought' about it, they would then also 'plan' it, and plan to not get caught. Whether they do or not, is a different matter. I don't think what happened was planned. Think about it. It was a spur of the moment, stupid.. i don't know what to call it.. and I don't know if we understand it. And that's what scares me. What made them do it? And I think it is important to answer that, to prevent. To understand the factors that made that happen. Killing them means we shave off the tip of the iceberg, without even knowing that it exists. Somewhere we have a system, we don't know about, that breeds men like this. And whether we like it or not, the answer or a part of it is with these men. And we can't just kill them, without knowing what it is.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Thank you for your opinion SaroSena.

I too agree with you about analysing the reasons behind. We can have a discussion about that.

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

PS. I don't think it should be abolished, i think it should be converted to euthanesia or something like that. So that when their usefullness has run out, they can opt to die or continue living- obviously in captivity, under harsh conditions...

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

I dont think the OP is questioning the method of execution- whether it be hanging, euthanasia or 1 of the contraptions from the Saw movies. OP seems to be against the idea of execution, because apparently "executioner" does not look good on the resume.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Exactly that is the reason.

Not just that "executioner does not look good on the resume", it looks worst. Many of us can't even think of adding that to our resume.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

I think it would look pretty badass.

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Nandini, I oppose the death penalty. If someone close to me were raped, I would want them to be hanged. That is my personal verdict. But if someone told me, that keeping that person alive may help prevent other rapes in the future, then I would forget about avenging, look past my own selfish desires and do anything I could to help.  

Because I don't only love that one person, I love so many more and I don't want that to happen to them. There are so many uses for a person like that. We could test our cancer drugs on them and other experimental medicine. We could train them and use them for rescue missions, instead of putting the lives of our military men at risk. We could have them reformed and take them to schools to talk to our young ones, and tell them to respect women, because disrespecting one can cause a life of misery. A death sentence is wasting a life, that could other wise be used for so so much. I'm just thinking out loud here, some of these things are crazy to think of today. But it's happened before, and it can happen again.

And feeding the culprits biryani, I think you may have added it in there to make the statement angrier, so I'm ignoring it. 

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Well, Saro. I am against capital punishment for reasons of innocents being victimized. But I don't agree with your arguments in the Indian context. As far as India goes, people are a liability rather than an asset. There are millions of non criminal lives going waste in India as well and priority to educate/train them and use them more than reform rapists and use them. The feeding Biriyani someone mentioned is not just to make people angry - it is about non optimal utilization of resource. When every heat wave cold wave  and rains people are dying - the money spent on keeping one criminal alive could have been spent on giving food and shelter to so many people. So by choosing to spend money on keeping Kasab alive, the government wrote the death sentence for so many others whose lives would have been saved if the money had been spent on them instead.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I strongly disagree with you SaroSena. They are accused of doing a brutal crime. And you are advocating for doing brutal crimes on them.

We must only punish them. Not persecute them. No cruelty must be shown against. Its not suited for a civilised society. Let them be in jail. Let them work in jail.

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

Lol SaroSena's solution is worse than death. You think our govt has the balls to use convicted criminals as guinea pigs? Forget the opposition parties, human rights organizations from world over would be chewing our ass for this.

Btw theres a bunch of movies that have the exact same plot as this- DeathRace, The Condemned, Running Man and that video game movie with Gerard Butler...

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@ the fool: i agree. would it change things if they were to earn their stay in jails? or better yet, if they were to generate a revenue that could be spent on the masses, to shelter and protect them? that way, while they wait out the lengthy trials, they are kept alive and at no expense to society? I just think that the death sentence is medieval, we can do more with them. Growing up in Malaysia, when I was a teenager, we had a mandatory tour of the city jail along with some talks from some of their prisoners. The tour wasn't fancy, it could be described as morbid or as I would say, it slapped reality in my face. I had one main take away, prison was not worth any crime for me. I can say that that was true for a most of the class that went with me, happy to also say, none of us have landed ourselves into prison just yet. I can't help but wish that that kind of exposure is made available to us, here in India. These talks, that I spoke about, may not relieve someone of their impoverished-ness, but it should impact, that one priviledged kid from being above the law. That one fella who thinks it's ok to rape to re thinking it.. that one dowry crazed pig from killing their daughter in law.. you know? 

@jayan menon: every drug you take, has been tested on animals at first stage, and before approval has been tested on humans. right from cosmetics, to food, to infant formula, to crocin, to eno.... - unless it says it wasn't tested. At no point did I say we'd rob them of their humanity. India is a growing market for these kinds of test groups. At this very point in time, there are thousands in our country taking experimental medicine for money. Voluntarily. And that is ok by Amnesty, as long as people understand what they're getting themselves into. Let's give this option to these guys... those of them that are still human, will, I'm sure want to absolve themselves of their guilt. Let's give them an opportunity to do so..

@stagg: I know it sounds cruel. Everyone who has an opinion has an agenda, and mine is to free animals used for testing. They are innocent, but we still need medicine... And I haven't seen any of the movies you mentioned! They stole my idea! 

PS. These are my opinions, and it's nice to have them getting picked on for a change. So thanks Jayan for the forum that's led to an interesting debate, and everyone else for opinions.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

According to my opinion, testing medicines on humans without consent shall not be allowed.

Then secondly, we need to answer a question that "what must be the attitude of the state shown towards the rape accused"?

I do not agree with the answer "anger".

Instead I say it must be sympathy. We must punish them. But we can't be happy about ourselves in the meantime. Because those six men were part of the society.  We can't persecute them and celeberate thereafter.

As far as I see it, putting them in jail is the only punishment that can be done with sympathy.

LockSign in to reply to this thread