Plagiarism - Is there any way to stop it?

Saru Singhal
Saru Singhal
from Toronto
11 years ago

While surfing Indivine I found my work was copied, the only change was, she added 'sometimes' and changed 'words' to 'air'

Is there any way we can stop Plagiarism? 

Now, her blog is restricted. Here's the link to her Indiblogger profile :

http://www.indiblogger.in/blogger/39551/

Ashitha Varghese has apologized by writing a mail to me. We should excuse her now.

Here's another discover:

Shri Jhawar http://www.indiblogger.in/blogger/39200/

Copied Poem: Here (He copied title of one of my poems and text of another to create this post.)

My original posts: Lost Abode and  It hurts

Another Copied Poem  Pieces

My Poem: Bits and Pieces

Another one: Meetu K  http://www.indiblogger.in/blogger/40750/

Here's the link to her post: What I deserve, copied from my poem It hurts.

Another addition: Keerthana  

She has copied two of my poems, 'Who am I, Dad?' and 'Barren Life' 

See the copied work here and here

I checked and found that most of the posts on her blog are copied. So, please check for your work.

Edited 11 years ago
Reason: Blog Name Added
Replies 21 to 40 of 52 Descending
Saru Singhal
Saru Singhal
from Toronto
11 years ago

@Nandini - Google shows more results than copyscape and that's exactly how I found my work. I published 'Who am I, Dad?' on 19th July, 2011 originally ( Read it here.) Some blogger republish their work. Like I wrote a poem series 'Je t'aime' in 2011 but republished it again in 2012. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

okies...i had no idea about the republishing thing.

abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

Just used Copyscape and found out one of my articles has been copied ''word to word''.  And the so called "tech blogger"" happens to have a high indirank.

I dont want to defame him. I am giving him a few days time. Lets see what happens.

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

I have zero tolerance for such people. I would have written to Indi. 

abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

Yes Saru, I have written to them.

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Copying someone else's work is a big problem and what we are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many such copycats. The best way to deal with them is name them and out them in the relevant forums and try and inform the search engines because you do not want legitimate traffing going to the copycat's site.

There is no fool proof way to stop such acts but when you come across copied stuff with out attribution then its time to put the spotlight on them.

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

It's the biggest problem and sadly nothing helps. I tried everything but they have no shame. And I don't think anyone can reason with Google. 

Saru Singhal
Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

@RaoWords - Not on Indi, on facebook. 

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
10 years ago

I wrote a long post but the submit button ate it up.  OK here we go again.  This is a very relevant subject as I have both seen it happen and have it done to me.  There are two kinds of plagiarisms - one where entire material is copied and the other where ideas are copied, both are wrong.   To give an example of the first one; recently I read a BlogAdda WoW post that was basically a word to word copy of a short story by a well known writer (call him X).  Somebody pointed it out to the author who claimed to have read novels by X but not short stories.  The blogger tripped up later in a later post and claimed to have 'rebuilt' the story.  I sent an email to BlogAdda containing a link to the original work.  They acknowledged it and removed it from the WoW list.  But the blogger has kept the story up and is still claiming credit.

I have a dog, Nawab, who has been talking to me for a while.  I had him up on another website and had an audience for him before we moved to my blog.  Now another blogger put an initial disclaimer on his blog 'belonged to an Ozzie friend of mine Subroto' and started chatting with Nawab.  Now this is a fictional creature (clearly talking dog's don't exist, maybe they do but that's another topic) and had he asked permission to use him, I would have probably said yes.  But I did find it upsetting that someone was using a character that I had created, built up an audience for and had certain emotional investment in, without asking my permission.  So this kind of plagiarism is the theft of ideas, of creativity. 

The first kind should never be done.  The second type, well if you have the author's permission, then you can create your own stories basing them on existing fictional characters, but if you don't ask - that's not on.

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Hi Subroto, I agree with you on both the counts. For the second one, it's more disheartening as we can't prove it. I wish we could do something about it. 

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Its doing that for some days for some odd reason. I thought it was me. Next time, write a draft on the wordpad and then copy paste it here. I will create the thread to address the issue! :)

Vallabh Kulkarni
Vallabh Kulkarni
from Pune
10 years ago

I am facing the same problem now.. 

a girl named "yuli asih", she is copied my 14-15 post as it is.. without changing the title..

here is the link of her website..

and this  is my blog.. The important thing is.. I've post a comment on each my (copied) post on her blog... But she is not removing those posts..

what to do?

abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

That is really sad. But she hasnt updated her blog recently. Chances are she may not have seen your comments.

Vallabh Kulkarni
from Pune
10 years ago

Ya.. I hope she will remove it.. but is there any other trick ? so that she has to remove the copied content.. if there is..,then pls let me know..

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Hi Vallabh, 

Sorry to hear about it. Report the case to Google. I did and Google has disabled the plagiarised blogposts. If you don't know how to report, read the link given by Sampath Bhoompally on the previous page. 

Saru

Vallabh Kulkarni
from Pune
10 years ago

Thank you very much Saru..

abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

http://www.plagiarismchecker.com/

One site with useful information on plagiarism and how to stop it.

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

As I have been saying, we can shame them and force them to mend their ways. 

All you need is to join hands and stay firm that we will not allow content theft. Aim is not to stop sharing of content but that credit should go to the original author.

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

I am sorry if i violate group norms. but just discussed with Saru and created a Page on FB "Bloggers Against Plagiarism" to keep a tab on and shame these copy cats

Am giving the link:

https://www.facebook.com/BloggersAgainstPlagiarism

Please remove it if it is against policy. 

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Catching them and reporting them is one thing, but I find shaming them too......wrong. I don't know if you know about the dongle joke incident that happened recently. Basically 2 programmers in a conference were cracking a joke about dongles and let just say things went a little bit too far. the lady infront clicked their photos. there were rules that the event doesn't entertain such people. She did complain, but she wanted to shame them so she posted on her blog and it went viral. One guy lost his job for the dongle joke. then people started pouring opinions and said that it went too far and then she lost her job.Its just me. But I don't like the part where one has to shame a person. Its a weapon to use only when one is not co-operating to remove.

Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

Correct. Only for serial offenders and "seenazors" .. sadly can no longer edit this post. 

Aakriti
Aakriti
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Heya Saru....do tell me how we can disable copy paste. Its indeed disturbing the way people copy studd in the name of "creativity" tsk tsk...all that comes to mind is that a lot needs to be done to make people aware of the copyright rules with regards to our blogs and stuff. In India, ethics, with regards to many a professions is blatantly ignored! this leads to widespread copy pasting:/ Thank you Avadhdhoot for sharing the link. it helped!

abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

For wordpress, there are plugins available to disable right clicks and CTRL C features. I activated WP-CopyProtect. And for bloggers there is a simple javascript that needs to be added as a widget/plugin.

Just google "how to disable copy paste in blogger ". You will find the relevant links. Hope this helps. :)

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Hi Aakriti, You can use this link to get the code. http://www.bloggerhacking.com/2011/07/how-to-disable-copy-paste-in-blogger.html 

abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

I think a lot of bloggers do it out of ignorance. One of the indian bloggers had copied my post a few months back as well. But he had it removed asap. A sticky thread on plagiarism would be of help to avoid such cases.

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Maybe but the cases I encountered were not so ignorant. :P

abhin@v
from mumbai
10 years ago

Got my 'plagiarist' banned from indi :)

Aryaansh Sood
Aryaansh Sood
from Chandigarh
10 years ago

Anjan (owner of anjan5.blogspot.in) in his latest post "Confession"

Summed up my whole write up without giving me any credit or anything.

What should i do about it ?

And Is there any kind of help that i can expect from indiblogger or fellow bloggers ?

The post is "Confession"  at anjan5.blogspot.in

and the blog is "Ankious Me"

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Your case seems to be of idea theft, which is hard to prove. You should write to him and ask for the clarification. If not resolved, write to Indiblogger and report to Google. 

Aryaansh Sood
from Chandigarh
10 years ago

Whats the procedure to report to Google ?

I haven't heard from him

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Follow the link given by Sampath Bhoompally on the previous page of this thread.

Anjan Roy
from Kolkata, Mumbai
10 years ago

It's almost a month....but i think i have proved Aryaansh about my content to be genuine...and i have even told him not to blame by copying himsel...and he didn't reply since then.

Anjan Roy
from Kolkata, Mumbai
10 years ago

Wish i could see these messages earlier... you got to be kidding me....copying my content and then defaming me @Aryaansh Sood???

Aryaansh Sood
from Chandigarh
10 years ago

I didn't do it for fun !! Anjan roy

I think we settled that issue !! On personal front !!

Are you up for something else ??

Yes i believe his words , coz he is being writting simmilar stuffs before , and i respect his kind of wrting !!

So rest I think the blame game is  over !! Rest its all upto the other person

Anjan Roy
from Kolkata, Mumbai
10 years ago

@Aryaansh Sood: I Don't want to enter into any controversies either...i read your replies on this page yesterday...and that's the reason why i was agitated...

Aryaansh Sood
from Chandigarh
10 years ago

Okay !!

Samar Khan
Samar Khan
from Pune
10 years ago
Can somebody please help me to protect the pictures that I upload on my blog???????? I don't really know what to do and I don't want my picture to be copied. Plz help
Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Hi Samar, 

The best way to protect your picturs is watermarking. Try it, even if someone copies, your name/blog name will still be there. 

Having read The Sorcerer 's fb ripped case , I thought that how insane people are when they don't understand the importance of virtual presence and its after effects.

Personally, I feel there are two types of plagarist.One is ignorant - who just needs a push so that he/may understand and learn (but not public insult at an early stage and without a warning ) and the latter is someone who knows what he/she is doing and still does it after couple of warnings. This is the person who exactly needs a public display of his wrong doings as The Sorcerer has shared here. Call them douchebag!

A Better , Effective and Safe approach would be contacting the hosting domains : Google for blogger, Wordpress for Wordpress blogs and others their respective hosting domains ( assured result by personal experience )

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

You're right. I've seen all kinds now. Reporting it to hosting domain is the last resort.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

A lot of people understand, but there's an advantage that they think they have by being dumb.

Srishti Singh
Srishti Singh
from Manipal
10 years ago

Any idea about this site called brokencontrollers.com ? A/c to  copyscape,it has content from my blog.Not too sure why.

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Hi Srishti, It looks like one of those sites which pulls feed from your blog. Have you created an account on it?

Srishti Singh
Srishti Singh
from Manipal
10 years ago

Hi Saru,

Nope,I don't have an account on it.I randomly checked copyscape and found that my write-up was present there.It doesn't look exactly like plagiarism but would like to know what it is.

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
10 years ago

Wow I came across a post via Indiblogger that I had read before.  Turned out to be a copy.  John Birmingham will be flattered.  http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/stop-stalking-me-facebook-its-over-and-you-can-keep-my-3448-friends-20130706-2pivh.html

I don't feel like hounding the blogger but a little acknowledgement of 'artistic interpretation' always help.  

Saru Singhal
from Toronto
10 years ago

Hi Subroto, You can name people here as we have zero tolerance for plagiarism. 

I have been facing this issues with my website very much but Now it has reduces to very less extent. Technically there is no way to stop it completely, the people copying will continue, with and with and without reference to actual author, untill and unless been threatened legally. (to be blunt - my apology)

However some precautions can be taken like adding a line at the end of ur poems and creations (If you have not) like " Strictly Copyrighted" "copying without reference to actual author is Prohibited".

Plus you can protect your stuffs. I use DMCA certificates for all the 8 websites which takes care of things pretty seriously, Provided you can add some legal TOS and Privacy Policy in addition to that.

After adding these my plagiarism issue reduced to 85% as DMCA takes it pretty Seriously.

For example http://www.dmca.com/Protection/Status.aspx?ID=fa43332f-4f3b-4058-9cb3-1f70f435b00b

I hope it helped.

Sweety Pateliya
Sweety Pateliya
from Nagpur
10 years ago
I once found one of my poetry completely transformed into a story by someone in indiblogger. It was a poem that had incidents and storyline and the story of the blogger was completely same. Its not a case of copy paste. Any idea guys what can be done?
TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Please give the link to the story and to your poem, we will also see if there has been plagiarism. Under certain cases, posting links is allowed. Go on give us the links if you are that sure. Let's see it too.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

You send a mail directly to IP or Renie giving him evidence and based on the evidence, they will ban the blogger who has plagarised 

Bhavya Kaushik
from Jaipur
10 years ago

You should contact IB admins, I assume. It really sucks sometimes. I recently saw one of my poems in the "About me" section of some random guy's profile :\

Shruti
Shruti
from Kolkata
10 years ago

I do not understand how people copy? I mean, I did see students cheating and COPYING answers from each other back in school, but when you're blogging. isn't the onus to connect with the unknown.. how do someone connect with stuffs that aren't their own? I have tried endless times to walk in the minds of the plagiarist and every time it is the dead end.. what do they get from copying? It isn't like every time you blog a post, you win 1000 bucks. So, what's the whole point behind plagiarizing??. if someone likes a post that great to have it on their blog.. what's the harm in asking for permission and sharing it.. If i like a post so much that i want it on my own "virtual home", I love the writer who paints such a beauty and want to make sure to get along.. why upset him/her by robbing.. somethign about this baffles me.. I don't have any copied posts.., I never searched for it, but i don't think i have them.. the only great thing I feel about beign copied is that you know you're inspiring.. that they choose to copy rather than credit is a fallacy on their part and a twisted mind gone insane.. then again, I may be wrong as I told I can't get in their head and know how they work.. WEIRD

LockSign in to reply to this thread