You and Your Indirank

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Indirank -- What does it mean to us, Indibloggers?

How do you look at them? Your standing amongst  fellow Indibloggers, a matter of pride, your blog's worth may be or is it just a number for you?

An increase in Indirank is always welcome but what about a drop? Does a decrease in the rank bog you down or do you take it in your stride and motivate yourself to do better next time?

Do you have a tendency to judge other people's blog through their ranks say when promoting posts on indivine, when checking out somebody's profile or do you not notice it even?

I am curious and would really love to know what role does Indirank play in an Indibloggers life??

Please share your thoughts here Smile

Replies 21 to 40 of 57 Descending
R Saraswathan
R Saraswathan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Achyuth Sankar, For Google Rank your blog has to be live for atleast 6 months and should not contain any objectionable content as viewed by Google. Then you will get your rank automatically. It is on a scale of 1 to 10. Higher the rank better the recognition. The rank will improve on the basis of number of links that other good sites carry for your blog. If you try to get links by quick promotional methods google does not appreciate the same and may even penalise by reducing the rank. Anything from 2 upwards is a recognition.

Achyuth Sankar
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Thanks for the info sir :)

I'll try and get reputed sites to share links to my site (and I won't try mass market stuff) :D

Trisha
Trisha
from Kolkata
13 years ago

When I joined, my Indirank was 62. Then I stopped blogging for a while and It went down to 31. I was sooo happy. Getting closer to #1 without writing anything; now that's sheer genius. 

It was later, a little before the recent Indiblogger Meet @Kolkata that I realized that the goal was to reach 100! 100.... Woah! Forget it. I am only going to write whatever freaking comes to my mind.

Last night I was writing my review on Saat Khoon Maaf and suddenly saw my indiRank at 70. I was like :O. I had even not received any mail so had no idea. I was a bit down and this boost in ranking immediately cheered me up. So yes ranking does matter.  If it is good, I love it, if it is bad, I would raise my eyebrows, look down upon the techniques of judging blog quality and carry on with my blog. Works for me.

I am an essentially competitive person by nature but my blog is the last thing I want to be affected by it. When I write, I write for myself essentially, to express thoughts which have no other way of coming out. So yes even though higher ranking still brings forth a school like enthusiasm (it's like being 1st in class), I would much rather want my baby to stay out of it.

Do I judge other blogs on Indivine through their Indiranking? I still am not sure how to see the indirank.  :P

As a matter of fact I first realized that yesterday when I saw my blog's ranking on Indivine and couldn't believe myself. If I like the title or short description of a post, I read it. I don't think indirank matters that much when it comes to quality posts. :)

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Love your positive attitude, kind of balanced way of looking at indiranks. Competitive but not too over obsessed at the same time!
Meghana
Meghana
from Pune
13 years ago
I just got my first Indirank.. 78.. Is that good? Not sure. But it did make me feel good after seeing the criteria they choose to rank like alexa rank, google page rank, regularity of posting etc. It is helpful feedback for bloggers. When when looking at other blogs, I look for my topics of interest and quality of the posts rather than the Indirank to choose them as my favorites but the ranking sure does help to a certain extent. Like a book cover or a movie promo :)

maiden rank of 78, superb. Smile

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Hehe, book cover agree! And you certainly have a very interesting one:-P On a serious note though, thats a FAB first rank to have, Meghana.. Congrats:-)
Vee
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

my indirank has been stable at 74 for the past 4 months, and two months before that it was 73. it hasn't changed much...

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
A stable indirank is very nice... Even mine has been stable for quite some time. But doesn't it sometimes irritate you that why isnt it increasing? It does that to me.. What about you, Vee?
Vee
from Minneapolis
13 years ago

true! it feels a little irritating, rather demotivating when the rank doesn't change. but my blogging pattern has also been steady - i mean the number of posts i write and the number of visits i get, so i don't think there is any way the rank will increase.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

So many people sailing in the same boat , my rank to stuck around 74-75

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Yup but now with the upgrade... We dont know what we will get!
sanyukta
sanyukta
from toronto
13 years ago

i guess it is like everything else, every body says winning and losing don't matter it is participation that is important, but then everybody cares about their rank. I am new here so it is na still, but i guess i am waiting to find out what it will be.  But eventually, i think that the human mind is very resillinet to self preservation, we can mould facts to suit our puposes. If we win we cite that as proof that we were good, if we lose we blame it on the ingnorance/ bias of the jury :) that's how most of us are. arent we?

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Well said sanyukta! Yes, its like a case of sour grapes, if we can get them..we tighten our collar but if we dont, we criticise! We should try concentrating on improving own performance and not competing with anyone on the basis of any rank.
Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Dude! I can't even begine to explain what Indirank means to me! Its like the trophy of life for me, the only oscar or filmfare or the rarest of scotch or the richest chocolate or the yummiest rajma chawal or the best kiss from an enourmusly hot girl!

I kicked myself in the nuts for missing the last two release of Indirank. Its a festive season for me! And I've been missing them what a shame!

Anyway, got a steep drop this time.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Great! So you love them!! But tell me Addy, did the steep drop in the rank sadden you? And more importantly, did it affect your blogging in any way?
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

Addy! mere aankhonse aasuonki dharae bahne lagi, thamne ka nam hi nahi, tum ek Indi film kyon nahi banate.......indilove.........will be name........! i m not joking, i m really emotional...

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
And hey best wishes for your first indirank next month:-)
kumarsaran
kumarsaran
from Chennai
13 years ago

It remains a number, some of the important factors gone missing in ranking. 

Is it really a competion and ranking is based on all indiblogger users? dont think so.

I have recently converted my football blog simba.in to a new domain name http://www.footballinsight.co.uk , Change resulted in increase in traffic and viisbility. But indirank resulted in drop :(

- Kumarsaran

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
The Inditeam is upto some upgrades... Lets see how this makes Indirank better!!
DS
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Indirank is very fascinating, waiting for my second one... But I do not judge a persons blog by the rank, though it does give an idea of how the blog might be!!
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Ya, there is always that fascination that is associated with it!!
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
13 years ago
My rank had reached 79 and then rank started dropping till it dropped to 48. And then I dropped the rank from my blog.
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Hehe... But why did the rank drop in the first place?
Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

I love it! It is nice always....if it is above 70. I never obeserved how this will affect on traffic. Still I wish to get higher and higher always.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

and 100 th post on this thread is by me, congos to me and 101th too! and congos to you too. and others' blog, sometimes , but mostly by content, if content is good and indirank is low, i feel they are not regularly posting. nothing more.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Yes Mohini having a rank of over 70 is always good... And you are right joy ranked Blogs are mostly not updated regularly...
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Yes Mohini having a rank of over 70 is always good... And you are right low ranked Blogs are mostly not updated regularly...
Raghu V N
Raghu V N
from Thrissur
13 years ago

In my personal opinion, no one should ever take Indirank to measure your blog. If you give more priority to Indirank than your blog, it can destroy your uniqueness. 

Rohan
from Mumbai
13 years ago

+1 shout !

Higher traffic will get you a higher indirank but a higher indirank will not get you higher traffic . I hope people realize that and stop speculating about the rankings and concentrate on providing value via their blog . A higher or lower indirank means nothing commercially and neither technically since it is based on a bunch of other global third party metrics .

There are also a lot of flaws in the indirank algo , it omits the quality of a site , the post frequency can be deceptive and PR and alexa is no sign for a sites quality .

If the ranking has to be based on something solid then it either has to be relevancy to niche or hardcore traffic stats from 3 rd party API . What it is now is a simple formula to add up various numbers which have their own influence factors and the indirank is generated from that . 

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
13 years ago

agree! all this is very important.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Well said Raghu and well added Rohan... But I dont think that anyone posts for Indirank, it is just that they look forward to having a good rank.
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
13 years ago
@ Arti - My rank dropped because I did not post for 5 months. Now my rank should be up there with me getting back with 21 posts in the last 1.5 months. But these guys are not putting it up yet.
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Oh! So thats the reason... They are upgrading it, the rank should come out soon!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Cant say what comes under soon though!!!!
Pundit Commentator
Pundit Commentator
from Delhi
13 years ago

I'm four days old on IndiBlogger. Whenever I do get an Indirank, all it means is that my blog will be "seen" more easily by the most appropriate members of the community who may be likely to take an interest. By all accounts, the number itself is a poor measure of the quality and usefulness of a blog.

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
But the team is doing some upgrades, hope they come up with something solid which gives a better and a truer picture of the blog.
DS
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Eagerly waiting for the upgraded version of the Indirank:)
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Everyone is waiting!

Although i haven't yet received my debut indirank, but i think it will be a good motivation.Cool

A decrease in indirank would probably make me sit straight, put some high quality blogposts, get more visitors in(even if that requires spamming!). Wink

An increase in indirank would mean i'm on the right track! Laughing

A same indirank would make me frustrated like hell! Tongue out

As of now, these postponed-indirank-updates-for-who-knows-what-upgrades are freaking me out! AAaaaarrrrggh! Yell

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

indirank according to me just a number , it just tells how good are you with Alexa and google . but never tell how good your posts are ? .

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Plus 1 Dhiraj...

yeah true. But I think that number matters a bit when it comes to visibility on Indivine.... I mean.. people often selectively view the indivine posts of high ranked bloggers isn't it? So it is important for indivine. But otherwise, yes it is just a number.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

@ Xeno thats only assumption , only thingthat changes is no of votes reflecting , though not much change in people visiting . Apart from contest time , just same set of people keep visiting you with some occasional changes .

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Another plus 1 Dhiraj:)
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Xeno Yep, i agree with @Dhiraj.

Indirank is never an issue for people who love to visit your site, People who love your site and posts will visit it no matter whether you are a 'NA' or have a number to boast of. Votes.. Yes changes acc to your rank but only slightly not a big deviation to care for.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

+1 Arti

really! Oooo! and I was thinking something else.

Thanks guys! That makes me feel better! Laughing

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
What?
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

@ Xeno , i smell sarcasm

Surprised

@dhiraj: visit an otolaryngologist and get your nose checked. There was no sarcasm involved.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

@ Xeno , then i really appreciate those words .

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Its Ok ;-)

A higher Indi rank doesn't always mean that the content in the blog is worth for a read and the vice versa a lower ranked blogs might be having amazing content, but the blogger may not be promoting it well or an infrequent blogger.

But yes, having a good rank means lot..:) Thats an inspiration too! I have my one blog (http://princess-liya.blogspot.com) recetly added with NA. Waiting for its ranking. Other one, I havn't been blogging for long so dropped into 50 in last few months..:( I have to get it up like earlier.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
13 years ago

hope you make a  turn around .

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
It definitely is inspiring, a good rank... Keep updating your blog, hope you climb up the ladder once again:-)
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Plus 1@ Nishana
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Just how long till I get my second rank, any idea, you are such an old pro Arti:)
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Only indi team is a pro with indirank . Yes Arti is pro with blogging and indiblogger .

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@DS Man, you made me feel old Frown

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@DS @Dhiraj No one in Indiblogger is pro/old enough to know betterWink

+1 @Dhiraj for first statement only!

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Agreed to extent .

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Arti :-P @ Dheeraj B-)
Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago
So arti any conclusion on the importance of indirank . I think this is probably the third most important aspect of indiblogger after pool of Indian bloggers present here and Indivine .
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
The conclusion till now is that people read the blog irrespective of the rank, if they like the blog... The rank does not in any case decide what people read... Also a higher rank has some minimal effect on the votes that you garner on Indivine... People still giving their views!!
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
And yes it is one of the most intriguing aspects of Indiblogger :)
Madhav Mishra
Madhav Mishra
from gurgaon,haryana
12 years ago

man this rank thing has ppl goin ga ga over it for what feels lyk eternity Tongue out

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
You are right :)
tys
tys
from Sharjah
12 years ago

i have never cared much for the indirank...i actually dont understand it...like when i first joined, i had a ranking of 85 or something..just like that..after that  its been dropping, coming up, ...like my sex drive..so i have no idea how this thing works...theres something there called alexa and i thought it was a girl...

personally i have never looked at the ranks to read a post...i do check out the title and if it piques my interest i will read it...sometimes it can be the profile pic...if its a pretty girl, i will read and if the post was as gud as the pic, then i may leave a comment...

Madhav Mishra
from gurgaon,haryana
12 years ago

@tys dude i read ur posts..gr8 writting.ans yes ppl are excited coz for some of us its our 1st tym..thats about it :)

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
No one understands how it works!! Lets see what they do with the upgrade!!
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ Arti , Hope inditeam understands it . Coz delay seem to misguide all of us .

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yup!

LockSign in to reply to this thread