Do women bloggers have more readers than Men?

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
15 years ago

I know I know.. a topic on the lighter side.. but I still wanna know ! LOL

Replies 21 to 40 of 59 Descending
Ankit
Ankit
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Guys, I know a blog by a girl who with just 4 months into the picture and an average of 10 comments for posts made once a week made it to 40000+ hits.

kunal sachdeva
from New Delhi
14 years ago

yes its ok...

Even I have average of 13-15 comments on every post... 

yes they do .....

yes they do .....

my blog...

http://ideas-forum.blogspot.com/

Do you first look at the blogger then the blog? It depends on the answer to that question.

Sumit
Sumit
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Does that mean if I become 'Saurina' instead of 'Sauron' and put up an ahem... interesting profile pic, I'll get more hits? Tongue out I have my reservations about that. 

Sumit

http://huesofinsanity.blogspot.com/

Why dont u try and see? I for sure am getting more hits from here ever since I put up a profile pic Kiss

kunal sachdeva
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Sumit i think you should try it....

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

man, this is something i have always feared. It is guys mistake. it is in the nature of guys to get attracted to girls.

Hemal

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
14 years ago

Sumit... yupp try it. ;)

Ruchi Parikh
Ruchi Parikh
from Pune
14 years ago

Hi...I don't agree with this . It totally depends on the way artilces are written and the knowledge. On, Lighter note, May be gals are more good in expressing thier thoughts :)

Sumit
Sumit
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Somehow, I think we are discussing too many stereotypes. I don't believe any of the following:

a) Women have more time to blog, so they're more active bloggers.

b) Women write better than men.

c) Women 'express' thoughts better than men.

d) Men have more free time than women, so they comment more.

I think content is what drives traffic. Even if you seem to be an attractive-looking, single woman, people will return to your blog only if they see quality. Not because they feel you're an easy target for romantic pursuits.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I'm not. But, I seem to be getting a decent number of hits every day and most of the commenters on my blog are women. And so is the case with many male bloggers I know. 

What could be the differentiating factor is that probably more guys blog about politics and technology than women. And those topics have rather niche readers. What say? :)

Sumit

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
14 years ago

While on the topic of stereotypes, I'll be quite curious to know which topics are regarded as "guy topics" and which topics are "girl topics."

I am sure indiblogger would have some data therefore to look at whether more guys blog about "guy topics" and whether girls are blogging about stereotypically "girl topics"

cheers!Prashant.

http://healthylivingindia.blogspot.com

Hm hmm... btw, who says girl blogs get more traffic than guy blogs??

Isn't the very premise we are debating on faulty?? Undecided

Sumit
Sumit
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I guess even if we were to assume that an attractive profile pic attracts someone to visit a blog, if the content is not appealing enough, would the person return to read again?

For example, let's say Eva Mendes begins a blog, but starts writing about theology, religious cults, and ancient Christian burial practices. I might reach there once, and feel happy about the pic. But would I come back and read? NEVER!! 

Also, I don't have a happening display picture, but I draw enough traffic to keep me fairly happy. Moreover, most of the comments I get on my blog are from women, like I said. So what?

Ultimately, it's only the quality of the blog that fetches it popularity. In the first few days/weeks, it might be difficult, but once you get going, you can easily accomplish a few thousand hits a month.

Sumit

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
14 years ago

Content does matter... but only in the end. And that too... not to everybody! You are one of those rare males who can express their personal stuff as well as (and even better than) most girls! Most men only write abt impersonal stuff like poilitics, sports and world economy. And girls are not interested in reading all that usually. They don't care whether the blogger is male/female, they only follow personal blogs *usually*, with which they can relate personally. Hence, your large fan following, including female readers.

Men, on the other hand, are more likely to check out a blog if the author has her own pic on display & looks reasonably cute. Content comes after that.

So, basically, if I had my own pic on display instead of this pumpkin, I would have got more than 9 reviews here. Also, very little of my reader-base originated *directly* from indiblogger. Most of my current readers/followers dropped in on my blog after reading my comments on their blogs... or my regular comments on one of their friends' blogs!

So you see... no cute female on display... not many direct clickthroughs! Building up with "content only" takes a bit of time and a lot of hard work. YOU have to approach people YOURSELF, to make them notice you in some way. But, if you display ur pic, they flock towards you on their own. Simple as that.

So if girl X produces the same kind of content quality as girl Y, but doesn't hv her pic on display, whereas X does, then X is more likely to have a larger fan-following!

hmm...so I suppose gender doesnt make a difference. Only content does. Yay merit! :)

kunal sachdeva
from New Delhi
14 years ago

absolutely rite Only content & presentation matters..

Sumit
Sumit
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Perhaps we could add interesting user names to the list too. For example, I had visited 'Hakuna Matata' out of curiousity at the user name (This was before she had her display pic, mind you.) Also, I just checked out 'Nutty Martian' simply because I love the Bugs n Daffy Show characters, and Marvin the Martian is second only to Bugsy. :P

Sumit

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
14 years ago

Sumit: You are an Alien! You can express "emotions"... in words... better than most females I know. So please don't generalize on the basis of what YOU do! :D

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Hey all.. this has just been a hillarious and fun discussion .. I just posted it on twitter http://twitter.com/anoopzombie .. LOL everyone!

Dreaming Eyes
Dreaming Eyes
from Delhi
14 years ago

nobody told me dis before.......new thing to learn........Smile

Ritu Lalit
Ritu Lalit
from Faridabad
14 years ago

Hey thanks Nutty Martian.  While you are there, can you click on some ad :P

Seriously though I am considering removing google ads from the darn site.  No one clicks them and they are a waste of space.

मुझे लगता है कि महिलाओं के पास अधिक समय रहता है, ब्लोगिंग-शोगिंग करने के लिए। पुरुष नौकरी बजाते-बजाते तार-तार हो जाते हैं और कंप्यूटर पर कम समय बिताते हैं। हां, यदि वे दफ्तर में ब्लोगिंग करते हों, तो बात अलग है, इसकी जानकारी उनके बोस को देनी चाहिए Wink

rads
rads
from Chicago
14 years ago

Hmm interesting discussion. I'd go for content and mostly variety in topics. I also don't like reading blogs with too much of personal stuff. And coming to readers, I have an equal number of men n women commenting on my blog. And I do have a profile pic, if that matters at all.

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

You can find as many good looking faces on the net as you want so why would anyone bother to look at them on a blogging forum.

I guess beauty with brains are a scarce commodity so the explorer in us wants to say

"Hey look what I found,a pretty girl who thinks too !!"

Just pulling your leg(s) .It is content which matters as far as I am concerned.

Anup looks below average but I read his blog,right ?Wink

Chicky Kadambari
from Jaipur
14 years ago

@ "Hey look what I found,a pretty girl who thinks too !!"

:D So you agree na... "pretty girl" comes before "who thinks"! :D

miss_teerious

Ritu Lalit
Ritu Lalit
from Faridabad
14 years ago

Anup looks below average but I read his blog,right ?

You just proved it, Content is King

Varun
Varun
from Perth
14 years ago

It really depends on what topic it is.

say the blog is about street racing or cars and its been written by a girl, it might draw attention big time. 

like wise for a guy who writes about new recipes or about maintaining the lawn and garden.

It might seem a lil shallow but gender bias has influenced profession for as long as there have been human beings on earth. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread