IndiRank Upgrade - suggestions please!

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Now that we're done making a few small upgrades to IndiVine and the Forum, it's time to look at IndiRank. Addy, you just may be able to crack all the jokes you want this month! Smile

We're looking for suggestions/feedback/critique here - anything goes. A few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. Should we make our algorithm public or would that promote gaming?
  2. Are there any other influential factors we can include, aside from PageRank, Alexa, Frequency, etc.?
  3. What information would you like to see as part of your IndiStats?
  4. Should we increase the frequency of updates, or would that diminish the value of IndiRank updates?
  5. The stats are available only to those who are logged in. Would you like an export option / widget so that you can share it with your readers?
Edited 12 years ago
Reason: Typo!
Replies 21 to 40 of 69 Descending
Nilesh Gonsalves
Nilesh Gonsalves
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I am not in to the technicalities of indirank. But I feel that the frequency of update is quite well balanced. An increase in frequency will reduce its charm while lenthening the intervals might make bloggers feel the wait is to long...

Naren
Naren
from Chennai
13 years ago

Somehow, the word IndiRank now means higher the better. So, no need to mess up with the name. Also, let the algorithm remain a mystery. 

How about adding nitty-gritties like SEO score, title to meta description relevancy and readability of a blog (tech, jargons, high school level, etc)? Blog visibility on Google/Stumble Upon? Average post length? Backlinks? Likes/votes? Well, these parameters might further refine your ranking.

The current ranking frequency is the best. If you guys want to add more fun, just tag some weird names for ranks between 50-60 (lazing), 60-70 (munching), 70-80 (galloping), and so on. 

Gurdit
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Naren, for people who are members of Indiblogger, the higher the IndiRank, the better it is. But for someone who has no clue what Indiblogger is or what Indirank is, don't you think a rank of 84/100 implies the actual rank?

For example, if I get a score of 80 % in my exam and that is 4th highest score out of 100 students, then my RANK would be 4/100, while my SCORE would be 80/100, wouldn't it?

Gurdit
Gurdit
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Strong suggestion:

Please call it IndiScore and not IndiRank, because you are scoring blogs and not ranking them. When we put the badge on our blogs, which proudly says IndiRank - Ranking of Indian Blogs, and then there's a 84/100 under it, it looks as if you have ranked the top 100 blogs of a particular category or whatever, and my blog's rank is 84.

Other suggestions:

1. Do not reveal the algorithm, as this will only lead to people modifying their blogs to suit your algorithm.

2. Updating IndiRank/IndiScore once a month is frequent enough. The only thing to work on, probably, is to reduce avoidable delays (if any of them are avoidable in the first place).

3. Exporting the stats may be a good idea, but my opinion is that it is practically unimportant.

Conclusion:

Please consider the change of name from IndiRank to IndiScore, or at least remove the "/100". You could instead post a % sign.

Indirank: 84% at least says that 100 is the maximum possible.

Indirank: 84/100 says that you are ranked 84 out of 100. 

LEB
LEB
from anywhere,anytime,anyday
13 years ago

I am not sure how the Indiscore (support changing the title to score) is a reflection of content.And by that I do not mean the topic. I mean the reader satisfaction. Is that part of the measurement metrics ? A high number of comments could be a good measure but not always true.

Zap!
from Hyderbad
13 years ago

true, comments can be inflated,and not all readers,even those who love the post leave leave a comment.

Hence count of comments,cant be a good measuring tool, i think.

RINZU
RINZU
from New Delhi
13 years ago

For the starting, I must say that you're still sending me ranks for two of my blogs that don't exist anymore. Secondly the ranks you send me for one old blog that exists varies in your mail and on the dashboard, by about a 20 or 25. I mean this month I received a mail saying my new indi rank is 51 when my actual indi rank on the dashboard was 74. This in itself creates a hell lot of confusion in my mind about the system of indi ranking.

I hope you first fix these discrepancies first before you look into further improvements.

Please take note.

Rinzu

S.R.Ayyangar
S.R.Ayyangar
from BANGALORE
13 years ago

Any post on Indivine must get automatically get PROMOTED if somebody posts his/her comments. This will ensure that those interested in promoting a particular post sincerely go through the post.

SUJITH LAL
SUJITH LAL
from CALICUT
13 years ago

A humble suggestion regarding indirank,while publishing indirank please publish the following details also:

1.blogs with the highest Indirank

2.blogs which made highest improvement in indirank

3.best performer among the new commer blogs

if it is possible please consider my suggestions..............

www.worldofgprs.blogspot.com

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

IndiRank name should remain as is...

The score can also include active participation in the forum...

Can also include points based on Votes from IndiVine... this would mean the blog is not only better on technicals, but also from content point of view. this can be in terms of addition to the overall score or as a seperate unit.

Being active on Indiblogger should help actually.. after all Indiblogger ranks the blogger.

Gurdit
from Mumbai
13 years ago

1. Why do you think the name should remain as it is?

2. Active participation in the forums only shows active participation in the forums. It shows how social you are, it is NOT a measure of how good your blog is, or how good a blogger you are. If Alexa started awarding extra points for people who updated their site information on Alexa, it would not be an unbiased, objective scoring system.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

This is no longer a name but something that people identify with. Since you are not here from inception, this name has been into all of us here.. hence, and not only me but others too, feel that this name should remain as is.

Active participation, well this topic is a bit skirty. Why I said this is because there are people who join just for a link back to their blogs.. and hence i felt this can be an option which may or may not be included in rankings. It will only means good for indiblogger, but not by force but by choice.

Gurdit
from Mumbai
13 years ago

1. You might be right about that (about not being here since inception). Maybe initially, it made sense, but I think it doesn't make sense to hang on to tradition for the sake of tradition. In any situation, if a change makes sense, then we should accept/embrace that change. As you can see, a very high number of people (most of whom are probably new) have brought this up. Also, it might be possible that most of your blog's readers are aware of the concept of Indirank, so it doesn't matter much? However, in normal situations, when people see a RANK of 85/100, they will think we are ranked 85th out of 100 blogs. In fact, that's what I thought when I saw someone else's Indirank score for the first time.

2. It might or might not be good for Indiblogger. Those who are more inclined to socialize here will continue to do so, and those who are not, will simply lose out on their score. :)

Deepak
Deepak
from India
13 years ago

no upgradation plzzzz....

(only for Renie...........)Smile

Ramesh Kumar Jha
Ramesh Kumar Jha
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Don't make the algorithm Public ; Increase the frequency of updating IndiRank(Once a week instead of a month) and the ranking shouldn't affected so much with Google PR,because Google PR is just one of the 200 factors that is used to calculate blog/site value.

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

@ Renie.....plz help me wid tis...my stats page says last update 1 month ago , n my IndiRank fell like hell to 56 !!! please help.....

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

hey Renie , m jus a newbie in tis world of blogging , bt cn i suggest sumthn ? I mean to say tat , as u hv pointed out in te 2nd option , tat te IndiRank IS influenced by PageRank , Alexa...but dnt u think IndiRank shud b based on te blog itslf , n te blogger's activity on it , n te IndiBlogger website ? I mean why shud IndiRank , which is purely a feature of IndiBlogger, b influenced by te blog's popularity on other websites ? I dnt knw te algo of GPR or Alexa , so wat I am sayn mite sound horrible to u , but , tats wat i felt.... Smile

purushottam kulkarni
purushottam kulkarni
from Pune
13 years ago

Indi- rank achhi hai . usame koi dikkat hai aisa nahi lagataa. mgar Indivine me kitane lekh  [blog] bharatiy bhashame hai ? kripaya yah kaise malum padega / koi batayega iske bareme? kripaya maragdarshan kare .

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

I started a topic 10 mins ago...and it says in the forum "10 hours ago" !!!! am i hallucinating ?? @renie...plz help !!!

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Will look into this! (Our server is on US time, and sometimes that has issues!) Embarassed

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

hey Abhi has a point there...honestly !!!

Kartikay Sahay
Kartikay Sahay
from Bangalore
13 years ago

Ooh oooh! Ok I've always been waiting for this so here goes:

A Wordpress.com Indirank Widget!

I have this static image stuck there and it doesn't reflect the fact that I've been ignoring my blog off late. No seriously, would love to have an image that is generated on the fly (since I can't add JavaScript widgets in wordpress.com)

Thanks for listening!

Kamal Hasa
Kamal Hasa
from Bangalore
13 years ago

You should stop counting Pagerank because it's been more than 6 months since it got updated!

Nalini Hebbar
Nalini Hebbar
from Nellore
13 years ago

"Blogs should categorized in a category and should compete against the blog from that category only. Ranking should be relative to other blogs in the category. Kinda like percentile marks"....a wonderful suggestion from Abhi the truckdriver that I endorse.

Pawan Maruvada
from Visakhapatnam
13 years ago

I agree with this, because each blog caters to its own share of audience and categorizing everything from photoblog to a poetic one under one ranking is kinda taking the importance away from a few blogs!

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I completely agree with Pawan here.

My alexa rank dropped significantly and my frequency of blogging increased with the same GPr throughout... but my indirank dropped as it said that my last update was 2 weeks ago which is completely untrue!!! I am cluelessSurprised

Prasenjit
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I absolutely agree with both Pawan and Arti. This IndiRank is completely blowing me nuts. I started off with an IndiRank of 74 last month, but this month while my Alexa rank has dropped a lot with more backlinks, it has dropped to 62.

Rennie can you explain whats going on please?

Thanks,

Prasenjit.

''Blogs should categorized in a category and should compete against the blog from that category only. Ranking should be relative to other blogs in the category. Kinda like percentile marks.''

Yes Abhi's suggestion is ideally good.  But then how about those who post about a whole lot of topics in one blog.  Social, photography, travel etc. Should we make each blogLaughing for each of these categories

Pawan Maruvada
from Visakhapatnam
13 years ago

They can categorize their blog under General category!

LockSign in to reply to this thread