Capital Punishment. Can you do it yourself?

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

It is a rule that if you want to receive a service from society, you must appreciate that it is a good service and you must be ready to do it yourself. Sometimes you may not be good at it. So you can let someone else do it.

For example, a doctor treates you. You want his service. So you must appreciate it is a good service. So you must be ready to be a doctor. But some of you do not have the skill to be a doctor. So you need not be a doctor.

Now comes the job of an executioner. If you think some criminals are to be hanged, you must be ready to do it by yourself. Here you can't say you don't have the skill to do it. It is very easy to hang a man. Can you do it? If you can't do it, don't advocate for it. Please do not say that you are a respected lady or a gentleman hence some hangman must do that job for you.

So whatever may the case. Let it be a murder of a rape. Do not advocate for death sentences if you can't do it by yourself.

Personally, I can't kill a man. So I say "Capital Punishment should be abolished".

Edited 11 years ago
Reason: modification of content.
Replies 41 to 47 of 47 Descending
SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

PS> if anyone is interested, this is an interesting survey/lab experiment:  https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/labuk/experiments/morality/

Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

People here actually have accounts on bbc :o ?

Easwar Arumugam
Easwar Arumugam
from Chennai
11 years ago

I agree. SOLITARY CONFINEMENT to rapists will serve more than the suggested capital punishment.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

For all who say the people in jail can be used to generate more revenue than the cost to maintain them, my question is this. If this can be done with the cost for security also adding to cost, then isn't it possible that it is possible to use all citizens in the country to generate more revenues than required to sustain them. Then why are we not able to eleminate porvery line all together?

I am not motivated by revenge or hatred. I am thinking in terms of just economics. We do not have enough food for all. So in the priority list, shouldn't the criminal come last? So wouldn't eleminating criminals at least the most heinous ones free up resources to support the others. If we are able to do population control and other stuff and have enough for all others, I am all for teaching them meditation or whatever and doing what it takes to reform them and make them better persons. 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

We can't talk about economics when it comes to human beings. They are criminals. But essentially human beings.

Let them work and live.

For example, in Kerala, my home city Thrissur, there is a prison called " The Viyyoor central jail".

The inmates of there produces chapati (called freedom chapati) and chicken biriyani. When we had a State School Arts' festival (Asia's largest arts event) last year, those chapatis were served as breakfast.

So sometimes instead of we feeding them Chicken biriyani, they feed us the same.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Jayan - when we are forced to choose between lives we have to talk economics. In Mahabharata, Shakuni and his brothers were in jail and there was food for just one. They had to think economics and decided they all will give their food to Shakuni and so Shakuni survived. If they had thought humanity like you, even Shakuni would have died with the rest of them. If you are saying they can contribute more than they consume, why not so many million other Indians who are not even criminals? Why are we not able to eleminate poverty?

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
11 years ago

We don't have food for all !! well was reading THE ZAHIR by paulo coelho, where he mentions food as the cause of all primitive religions banning sex with multiple partners . The tribals saw that the population goes uncotrollable if we have uncontrolled sex and thus lack of food. 

Well then why doesn't economics suggest us to have a control over sex than having a big population and then eliminating people out of it. well this brings me back to my point, that the sexual urge in people is rising and is provoked by the present entertainment media. 

Also see as a norm to curb this condoms of a more smaller size (for around 12 years) has been introduced in of the developed countries( in europe , i forgot the name)

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

TF: I'm going to refer you to this article I read a while ago. Some of the reasons it's easier to profit out of a prison is mentioned in the article. I thought it was interesting, and it opened my mind to this possibility. Of course in saying that, I'm ignoring the mumbo on human rights. It's important to protect it, but let's just say for the sake of the discussion, it doesn't exist.

Jayan: If I know right the Tihar jail has some popodums as well. I'd rather have them do more strenous work.. but I guess we can't always win!

Nandini: :) The paragraph should be read whole:- Nandini, I oppose the death penalty. If someone close to me were raped, I would want them to be hanged. That is my personal verdict. But if someone told me, that keeping that person alive may help prevent other rapes in the future, then I would forget about avenging, look past my own selfish desires and do anything I could to help.  

You don't know that I haven't had a personal experience with rape, either through myself or my friends, or from working with an NGO. And I don't see the need to bring it into the discourse here, to validate my opinion. Hope this addresses what you were talking about. 

PS. There's just been another rape, in a bus.. reports just coming in now. Even while the the knell continues to sound for those already in prison..apparently, death is not feared as much, nor life respected as much. 

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

oops: here the link TF- http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Thanks Saro. Interesting. But I wonder if the same is true in India. on an aside, in that case why is the national rural employment garuntee program loss making? Is it just corruption or something else I am missing?

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
11 years ago

If a drunk man hits a pedestrian on the road and kills him, punishing him will not bring back the pedestrian that passed away. That doesn't mean punishment that is metted out won't reform him? 

And it's not called brain wash when you listen to someone else, it's being open to new ideas and doing the best you can in difficult circumstances. I'm not going to let a monster turn me into one. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread