IndiRank Upgrade - suggestions please!

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Now that we're done making a few small upgrades to IndiVine and the Forum, it's time to look at IndiRank. Addy, you just may be able to crack all the jokes you want this month! Smile

We're looking for suggestions/feedback/critique here - anything goes. A few questions to get the ball rolling:

1. Should we make our algorithm public or would that promote gaming?
  2. Are there any other influential factors we can include, aside from PageRank, Alexa, Frequency, etc.?
  3. What information would you like to see as part of your IndiStats?
  4. Should we increase the frequency of updates, or would that diminish the value of IndiRank updates?
  5. The stats are available only to those who are logged in. Would you like an export option / widget so that you can share it with your readers?
Edited 12 years ago
Reason: Typo!
Replies 41 to 60 of 69 Descending
eshwar
eshwar
from bangalore
13 years ago
but pls i dont understand why my blog is still lagging behind at 37..... does it matter how old we r to indiblogger n wud that matter?... and also assist me in installing alexa n page rank... i am new to these things and i tried google but cud not get these!!
eshwar
eshwar
from bangalore
13 years ago
then pls dont make the algorthm n all public.... if u want ppl to be interested in the ranking then some mystery shud always be thr....!! it wud also encourage ppl to improve their blog....!!
Sanjay Uvach
Sanjay Uvach
from Patna
13 years ago

1. Don't see any value in making the algorithm public. If at all the voting should be made public where anyone can vote based in IP Address, one vote.

2. You could look at Technorati authority, Feedburner subscriber count etc.

3,4,5 - no change

SaroSena
SaroSena
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I definitely think that the current ranking system, is mysterious and we should keep it the way it is!

B.Jayanth Kashyap
B.Jayanth Kashyap
from Chennai
13 years ago

Let me get my rank/score first! :) then i shall give my suggestions Laughing but i support the category wise rank too!

vipin lal
vipin lal
from chennai
13 years ago

So is the algorithm already changed as per these requests?

I think Indirank is useless. dont think your blog is bad if you get a low indrank and dont think it is good if it has a high Indirank. It is useful for only newbies who add their blog to the indiblogger and list, and find out that they can beat most of the other user's rank in the first month..:(

I guess Indirank of the month depends upon the stats of your previous month.

Also the way the update freq is calculated is wrong. If I update my blog only once per month(may be on oct 27th) then I will have high update freq as per indiblogger. Instead of "last post date" you should consider the "number of posts per month" as the parameter to find Indirank.

Other things to be considered for indirank are:

1)number of followers or readers.

2)total numer of posts.

3)Total monthly views(may be you can create a custom visitor counter and ask the blogger to place it in his/her blog).But the counter should be intelligent enough to chuck out multiple visits from the same IP or from the author IP.

4)Number of backlinks to the site(in Google).

And one more thing. Why dont you give the rank like Alexa. Too many people getting the same rank is weird and confusing. It would be nice to put the best website as rank as "1" and others in the ascending order like Alexa do.

Nimish
Nimish
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hi renie,

well i may not be very active on the forum, but i really got a shocker in the form of my IndiRank slipping down a whopping 30 points, last week. not that i was in the top 5 or anything, but the rank going from somewherei n the 60s all the way to 31 was just plain wierd.  I jsut thought of checking out some photoblogs in the Photoblog directory. And i was dissappointed and kinda felt cheated by the algorithm. Ill tell you why. While some photoblogs were exceptional and deserved the ranking that they got, i came across tonnes of others, which were just normal blogs with a 'photography' tag, n i couldnt for the life of me figure out, what they were doing in the PhotoBlog section. I mean i really dont get the logic behind having a blog which has just a couple of photo entries n many other text entries n putting them in the same slot as strict photoblogs.  

i would again like to say that i do not really give too much attention to the ranks, but i realised that i could just add 1 blog per page to my Photoblog network as all others were just plain blogs. 

pundit
from Oslo
13 years ago

Though my site benefits from this loophole, I agree with you. I noticed this half a year ago and started adding all reasonable tags that showed up on the left hand-side of the indirank page. Since my site's ranking lives in the 85--90 range, it shows up near or on the top of many categories, driving traffic.

This is clearly not the intended behaviour and should be corrected. Although, I don't see how this is possible unless the indiblogger crew go through every individual site and classify them manually, which doesn't seem feasible.

pundit
from Oslo
13 years ago

But after thinking about it for a little bit, I am not so sure.

The indirank photo page really only says: Blogs found with the tag 'photography'. And while my site is not (anymore) a photo blog, its photography section still competes favourably with many of the other purely photography-based sites on the list.

So, does it really make sense to exclude it from the list? I am not so sure anymore.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I believe Indirank should be transperant, the obvious consideration should be quality of the blog or topic or dicussion.  I would like to have a versatile personality to be recognised by high ranking.  Kudos guys for raking up the issue.

GeEtS
GeEtS
from delhi
13 years ago

Thank you !!! Renie Ravin 

Nidhi Kush
Nidhi Kush
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I too agree with some of the Indibloggers here, that IndiRank sometimes is a misnomer...as when I got the rank 43, I thought I was quite at the top :) But then later realized that its the other way round. I think IndiScore or any other apt name should be better and more clear to the readers and bloggers. 

Anuradha Khanna
Anuradha Khanna
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Hey it often happens that I keep adding new posts to my blogs but forget to submit links at indivine. Maybe you can email reminders to bhulakkads like me. Something like "Have you shared your latest post this week?"

Anuradha Khanna
Anuradha Khanna
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Also, I have been wondering since long - why do the latest comments appear towards the end of all comments. The comment just after the topic description is the one posted arnd 7-8 months ago...

V Waghmare
V Waghmare
from mumbai
13 years ago

Hi Renie Ravin , thanks for your post , i will like to poin to you that there is some thing wrong my blog has page rank 2 and it is reported in stats as zero , and may be becaz pf which my indirank droped from 75 to 63 , the rank 63 was in begining when i just stared blogging , please look in to this , i mean , the same should not affect others rank too , then it will not be correct in totality .

rocksea & sarah
rocksea & sarah
from Pune
13 years ago

same for me, i have a google-pagerank of 4, but the indirank stats says 0.

Rama Mohan Akundi
Rama Mohan Akundi
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Thank you very much!!! my IndiBlog Rank is 79. I will keep this and improve blogging.

Vyom
Vyom
from Baudland
13 years ago

must change the IndiRank, as many have suggested, to IndiScore.

Also, wouldn't want the system to be gamed by members. We trust you enough to be satisfied with the fact that you are satisfied with the alogorithm - no need to make it public

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
Indiscore, that is a good suggestion.
Ram A Singh
Ram A Singh
from Silvassa
13 years ago

Let every thing as it is. just only prevent there are people who voting one another post without reading that is only to get receprocal vote from counterpart.

Ram A Singh
Ram A Singh
from Silvassa
13 years ago

futher if u can improve please improve the forum platform. it is pakau.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Indiranks should be upgraded once two to three months max Cool

Arti
from Mumbai
13 years ago
It already comes out late than the date provided!!
Rachit Sharma
Rachit Sharma
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Hello,

1. I think more emphasis should be given to quality and length of posts other than the frequency.

2. Also, brought in the feature of grades for equal rank holders.

3. And there is no need to disclose your mechanism, I have full-faith in Indi team.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Are you sure the length of post matters?? And loved the second point!!

LockSign in to reply to this thread