Do you vote for Indivine posts without reading it?

subups
subups
from Thiruvananthapuram
13 years ago

Indivine has been a superb addition to Indiblogger. It has really helped readers in chosing quality content without actually doing blog hopping and we get introduced to new bloggers too.

I normally reads certain posts based on the votes they got. Sometimes it has left me disappointed too, because the post might not have enough stuff in it to get this high vote.

Are people voting for posts without actually reading the post?

I am posting this under Blogging ethics, since I think a true blogger should not vote for a  post unless he has read the post.

Replies 41 to 60 of 85 Descending

Indian political system has made us to give vote to any body for any silly cause that mentallity will reflect in blgging politics also.

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

dats ryt Sirji... i agreeSmile

S.R.Ayyangar
S.R.Ayyangar
from BANGALORE
13 years ago

I hope its time to take the subject matter to logical conclusion in letter & spirit.

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yes I DO! Now will you please kill this thread already!

Thats a personal choice you can't do anything about it! Even if its wrong!

There is no solution to it either technically or ethically!

Now quit the stupid debate! Its getting on to my nerves!

Maria
Maria
from Singapore
13 years ago

Well sorry if this is an almost closed issue. But Renie, personally, the reason I dont even try taking part in any of Indibloggers contests is that it is a vote-driven judgement. And when the voting criteria itself is wrong, then how can we expect a fair decision? Just saying.

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Alright I'll drop the drapes, everyone knows the fact but no one talks about it!

Why is the voting criterion wrong? No one randomly votes in Indiblogger. Although not actually reading the post, they might vote for the past glory of a blogger. Or on the basis of some connection (a connection that is formed only on the basis of blogs and readership) so if some bloggers are counting on their previous earned rep, whats so wrong with it?

If you have watched and liked Sharakuh Khan's movies and are a fan, you'd not wait for a movie review! You'd jump in on Friday itself!

And this voting criterion does not make Indiblogger unfair, the method and process is good (nothing is perfect), but the voters mind and judgement can never be guessed! IF you still don't like it, how about a suggestion for picking the winners of the contest?

@Rennie,

I think Indiblogger should do these:

• Add a 'Voted' field in all profiles. This will help you guys know who is voting how many posts in a day. For example, if I vote, lets say 3-4 votes a day, I can be considered as a 'Safe' voter. And, in case my daily votes go as high as 10-15 (or whatever number you guys choose) then it means I am not reading that many posts. I am a spam-voter, and not an actual 'Voter'.
  • Allow budgeting of Votes. This should work like this - Do not give Voting rights to all. Every new joinee should earn their votes by submitting their posts on the Indiblogger. Once they achieve some respect (in terms of number of votes), they should be given a quota of Votes, which they can give to other fellow bloggers. This should again be limited, i.e., lets say 50 votes a month. Then this can increase with the increasing activity of that Blogger. This will help bloggers earn real respect and new bloggers to actually put real and meaningful content on Indiblogger.

I'll be happy to discuss any of these points in detail if require. I will be interested to help out in any ways I can.

Cheers!

Mohit aka Rishie

purushottam kulkarni
purushottam kulkarni
from Pune
13 years ago

Budgeting of Votes is good idea .I liked Rishie's suggestion.

Dr Pratibha Singh
Dr Pratibha Singh
from delhi
13 years ago

No ,I believe in me and I don't do things which are not acceptable to my conscious.So I don't post  without reading it.

Gayathri e
Gayathri e
from Chennai
13 years ago
I haven't voted much but have read all the posts that I have voted for. But I have received votes from bloggers who don't read my posts. A big percentage of the votes I receive are from non-readers. I don't read or vote back, hoping to discourage them. I think its absolutely unfair and unethical.
Maria
Maria
from Singapore
13 years ago

Well voting for a certain post based on someone's past glory seems a bit far-fetched. Then you should be voting for that person's blog as whole and not his post!!! And Indirank is already doing a decent job of valuating someones blog as whole. If Indivine was for voting for someone's past glory, why don't we all just put our blog link there? There is no need to put up the specific blog post link, is there?

As for the Shah Rukh Khan comment, if I were a fan of SRK I would go and see his movie first. That part is true. But I believe that is equivalent to actually reading someone's post. So voting for a post which you have never read is NOT like watching SRK's movie but it is like writing a blind review about an SRK movie which you have not seen.

We are merely giving our views here. No one is blaming Indiblogger. IndiBlogger team is doing an excellent job. I see no harm in expressing about a matter which people feel about. There is no need to be offensive about it.

Aashish Sood
Aashish Sood
from Delhi
13 years ago

I, for one, read the post before voting for a post.

But rationing the number of votes a day would be troublesome in case one genuinely likes more posts than they are allowed to vote for. My thought is to restrict the time between two votes to say 10 minutes as that is the minimum approx time it should take to stumble across an interesting post, read through it and then vote for it...

Tikulli
Tikulli
from Delhi
13 years ago

True. I like the idea of feedback  of the post. I usually vote for the posts I have read  before while blog surfing or  from the link given though I may not leave comments But it is a fact that MAS works here. You scratch my back I scratch yours. 

It is not healthy  at all. There should be a criteria about  promoting the post. I agree with what Subups says. 

I think the contest posts should have a separate thread .

there shold be a check on what kind of posts are put up in indivine .. I have seen Wordless Wednesday etc there .. I know this is not a place for this  topic but still ..

I liked the idea of promotional widget in the post which will lead the reader to the  link on indivine to promote  till then that person can only  see  but can not vote. that will ensure  that at least  the person clicks on the link and goes to the blog  at least of not read  the post.

Some very worthy posts by non ranked indibloggers  remain in oblivion due to this MAS working on indivine. No one reads their posts. There should be a way to promote the new comers.

Someone is Special
Someone is Special
from Bangalore
13 years ago

@Promote This Post: a kind suggestion to overcome this issue, when someone clicks, "Promote this Post " button, let it promote the post and also redirect to the respective blog post. I hope this would solve the issue to some extend.

@vote: we can't predict on what ways they are voting but this would eradicate only if every IndiBlogger decides to read all the nominations and vote for the one which worth winning...

I have participated in few contests and voted only if I completed reading all the posts and leaving comment on their blog with my post link. Otherwise I never vote. It is up to the inidividuals to change the way it works.

Do stop by Someone Is Special's Few Miles and let me know what you feel

Yours Frendly,

Someone Is Special

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I think we can reach at a soultion, if IndiBlogger comes up with a widget to incorporate with your blog posts, where at the end of the post one can vote for Indivine post directly from the blog itself!

That would solve the issue somewhat I guess!

Karthik P
Karthik P
from Chennai
13 years ago

I vote for the posts only after reading it..

Once again it depends on the persons view in voting. Few think that, by voting to a different post or blog, people would start reading theirs...It is tough to keep any filter for this problem unless the concerned persons stop doing this:)

purushottam kulkarni
purushottam kulkarni
from Pune
13 years ago

"Few think that, by voting to a different post or blog, people would start reading theirs"-- No ,

It is better not to expect this---

Karmnyevaadhikaaraste maa phaleshu kadaachan !

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

what the last line means...??

Sujith
from Kerala
13 years ago

You have a right to perform your prescribed duty, but you are not entitled to the fruits of action

umashankar pandey
umashankar pandey
from Bhopal
13 years ago

Now, this is serious business and I'm glad some has raked it up. What else explains so much junk being pushed to the first page by bogus votes? Therefore, before someone is able to vote, the post shoud mandatorily open before the voter.  And yes, I also support the idea of anonymous voting.

umashankar pandey
umashankar pandey
from Bhopal
13 years ago

And may I be allowed to edit my own posts, please? Meanwhile, please read the word-6, line-1 as 'someone'.

Sitanshu
Sitanshu
from London
13 years ago

I'm sure it works that way.

I submitted two posts and got bumped up without any visible traffic to my blog! Was I supposed to vote for them in return?!!?

Sad, but true.

http://internetstatic.blogspot.com/

Nikhil Bhaskar
Nikhil Bhaskar
from Pune
13 years ago
Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

Ok just check this http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=31420

Hence proved people dont read before voting.

I uploaded a junk post, with a title saying interesting article just to see if people are voting geniunely.

Sherry
from USA
13 years ago

nice idea :)

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

I actually got 2 votes for that :D

Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

heheehe... good experiment :)

Sowmya
from Chennai, Manama
13 years ago

I have a similar experience on something that I posted and then deleted - wasn't intentional but I just didnt like the post after putting it up. It got 15 votes though - mostly after I deleted;)!!

Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
13 years ago

@Soumya ..so the indivine votes r spam then..:)

so u r in bahrain!

@ unknown bhai, you have 11 votes by now,.great writing, sorry i did not vote for you.,Smile

LockSign in to reply to this thread