Is blogging a waste of time?

We spent hours and hours on the keyboard, posting nonsense on our blog. Ok, Ok, mostly.

But don't you think it's all a massive waste of time?

Does blogging solve even one little problem facing our country?

Please be honest in your answers!

And while you are at it, let us also hear what you think are the most pressing problems faced by our country.

Replies 61 to 72 of 72 Descending
Shakthidharan
Shakthidharan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I am looking at this topic and I am extremely happy that this came up . I want to thank @balasubramaniam for bringing this up here .

Here is my take on this , Blogging as it stands today , is in it's nascent state and is just about on the threshold of getting to it's full potential. Evidence to this is the fact that mega media houses watch blogs with a hawk eye and celebrities are taking to blogging in a big way . This means that the result in the form of impact of writing on a blog is there for anyone to see . From there one , there are two ways to take this , what do I want from my blog ? readership or just a record . The celebrity blogs are an example of the latter . They substitute their diary with a blog , that's all . The former is also evident off late . There are popular bloggers like @BinaryDay who have a loyal following . There is also more meat there when you look at people like Advani resorting to a blog to woo voters . That is proof of the pie that the virtual and real worlds are tied .

In the US where the education system is not as rigorous as ours , blogging is now a profession , it is just a matter of time before India , whose strength is mindpower goes the same way .

About the Adsense challenge , I know of a group of people who are doing that for Tamil . Anyone interested in other languages , drop me a note and I will sync you up with them .

Sorry about the long reply !

~Shakthi

About the Adsense challenge , I know of a group of people who are doing that for Tamil . Anyone interested in other languages , drop me a note and I will sync you up with them .

This is highly positive news. For blogging to really take off in Indian languages, it should be able to generate revenue for the blogger. I am glad that Tamil bloggers have managed the break-through. Their achievement should be easy to duplicate for other Indian languages.

Santhosh P
Santhosh P
from Bangalore
14 years ago

"Does blogging solve even one little problem facing our country?"

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:1; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 0 0 0 0 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0in; margin-right:0in; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.5pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; font-weight:bold; mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.5pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.5pt; mso-ascii-font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:"Courier New"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Courier New"; font-weight:bold; mso-bidi-font-weight:normal;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

No doubt, it does! So many anti-socials being locked to the keyboard will allow the rest of the society to live their life peacefully

No doubt, it does! So many anti-socials being locked to the keyboard will allow the rest of the society to live their life peacefully

That's a good one Laughing

blog gore
blog gore
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Maybe it is... But maybe so is this discussion :-) To each his own...

Shubhamoy
Shubhamoy
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Hi Balasubramaniam,

Internet is still not that much popular in our day-to-day life in India than in other countries. So its irrelevant to ask this question that whether we can solve our problems or not. But still if we proceed on the basis of 'A drop in the ocean'; then also we can make a huge difference in the mindset of the masses. After that problems faced by India varies from person to person. So the point is write on each problem and lets hope that it reaches the concerned one.

BR,

Shubhamoy

http://shubhamoy.wordpress.com

So the point is write on each problem and lets hope that it reaches the concerned one. -Shubhamoy

No, if we just hope nothing will happen. We will have link our blogs to other types of ground activities to spark off change.

Withouth such a link blogging is a waste of time.

Shubhamoy
Shubhamoy
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Hi Balasubramaniam,

Yeah you can say that and secondly if you are really doing some commendable job then linking is not a big issue. I hope you have heard about SEO. So get in touch with me I'll explain you in detail.

BR,

Shubhamoy

Sumedh Hoskote
Sumedh Hoskote
from New York
14 years ago

I do not agree with the basic premise in the initial post. Not everything in life is directed towards solving the nation's problems. Reading a book isn't, going to a place of worship isn't, meeting friends isn't, and so on. Similarly, even blogging isn't.

Granted that the impact of blogs that intend to solve the nation's problems may have debatable impact as of today... but to say that blogging, in general, is a waste of time would be like saying all of the above, including all hobbies, are a waste of time.

Incidentally, the nationwide Youth For Equality movement against increasing reservation in higher education was entirely coordinated between cities on blogs.

Rajeev R
Rajeev R
from New Delhi
14 years ago

this is a wonderful way to vent out thoughts and feelings....wish lot more people did. Violence could have gone considerably down.....

Things would be better

Raj

http://bharatmelange.blogspot.com

It is wonderful to see that this old thread still has some life left in it.

Thank you to all the recent posters. You have made many new arguments justifying the usefulness of blogging.

If someone puts together all the arguments in favour of blogging, I think that will make a very thought-provoking post. SmileI will do it some day, but you are welcome to do it too.

Thank you, again.

Tarun
Tarun
from New York
14 years ago

I don't know if blogging is wate of time or not but I do remember one story to share regarding this topic.

There were 2 people in one jail, one nice morning they opened the window of their cell, when First person saw outside he immediately said, "Oh hell, what a mudfull of pond outside this window. It's better to stay out from window".

Second person too saw from window and he said," Wow, what a beautiful lotus is blooming in that pond and what a nice day outside, I should be outside."

I think it's just a perception at one given time based on our circumstances.

I like your question: Is blogging a waste of time? It reminds me of my favourite quote of Sir Francis Byron. I paraphrase it here: Some blogs are to be tasted, others swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.

The pen is mightier than the sword or rather the blog is mightier than the bullet. It may not solve a problem but surely it will bring together minds and a possible answer by means of awareness.

More than anything it gives immediate gratification to the blogger to see his piece of labour 'published'. That, my friend, is the greatest blessing the blog bestows... A sense of 'I Can'.

Venkata Vinay @ Affirmative Thinking

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

A true blogger can never feel blogging as a waste of time!

Thank you for your replies.

I liked Tarun's story. It is a new vesion of the cup is half empty or half full paradigm.

Keep your comments coming.

LockSign in to reply to this thread