Shameless Self Promotion hurts You and IndiBlogger

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
14 years ago

First up: I'm not flaming/trolling. I consider this an important issue.

The indiblogger forum is meant for networking and interacting with bloggers. I don't count post advertisements as fitting into either category. Quality posts will draw readers to your blog without you necessarily having to say, "Did you know this... read my post to know more."

This is a forum to share experiences and insights about the blogging experience. Can we please stop clogging the forums with shameless self promotion. Once you advertise your blog in the Review category, your blog is on everyone's radar. After that, let readers add their blog to your network.

Shameless self promotion does more harm than good. I would stop visiting a blogger who only interaction on the forum is "check out my post."

Renie: You've provided a button to say mark discussion as "shameless self promotion" but how many people have to mark it that before it gets removed?

cheers!

Prashant.

Replies 61 to 80 of 93 Descending
Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

I ahve a feeling that this thread is overlooked by almost all indiBloggers!

Prashant Sharma
Prashant Sharma
from New Delhi
13 years ago

Couldn't agree more.....Shameless self promotion is really at high over here...Self-control is required !

Swathi
Swathi
from chennai
13 years ago

Guys,

I am glad this issue has been taken up!!! I have been receiving emails on fb everytime some indiblogger contest is up! These bloggers not only spam other bloggers' inboxes for votes but also keep us pestering if we fail to vote for them.

Also,in every contest I see only people who had pestered us for votes winning the competition. Many valuable and worthy posts are pushed to the bottom due to this favoritism.

One blogger even told me,"Winning is all about Social networking"

To which I replied,"if that's the case,I would prefer to be on social networking contest rather than a blogging contest"

I too did spamming for sochlo contest,but realized my mistake and refrained from spamming recently..

During the recent indiblogger contest, i came on indivine and reported spam for all the bloggers' posts who had spammed my fb inbox asking for votes..

I wanted to know if reporting spam is taken seriously by the indiblogger team.

I too have done some comics regarding this vote begging thing:

P.S: If you import your feeds on FB or post ur links on ur wal, it is visible to ALL.. You need not send special emails to everyone spamming their fb inboxes!!

Promoting ur post on indivine or fb or twitter and spamming fb inboxes for votes are 2 DIFFERENT things!!

wanderer
wanderer
from kolkata
13 years ago

self promotion harms one's own entity for sure...

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
13 years ago

Do you think they are that important to write a post for!!

Just ignore :D

Rohan
from Mumbai
13 years ago

But still I need to know what your name means and what your cat eats and what cable TV your neighbour uses isnt it ? Otherwise how am I supposed to advance in my bloging carreer ?

suraj78
from Latur
13 years ago

LOL I agree , nice one. So what is your neighbours blood group , plz reply fast otherwise my blog will be shut down !!

Vinayak Ranade
Vinayak Ranade
from Pune
13 years ago

Bolg is a promotion, used by abusing some one, used by unwanted sweet talk, used by technical jargan to prove his level, used by controvertial topics (approved by wordpress).

I wonder what is the meaning of freedom of expression and freedom of selection.

I just now use this for my promotion.   http://vkfeel.blogspot.com/

Vinayak Ranade
Vinayak Ranade
from Pune
13 years ago

Forum is expression, just go through TV, News paper, Indi Talk, Indi Forum and see the readership controversies and sweet talkers,  all are trying hard to promote themself. One guy on my topic started controversies for selecting catagories. These are the subject twisters, thay learn this technique of self promotion at school level.

But still it is freedom of expression.

Pranay
from Abu Dhabi
13 years ago
I agree! On IndiForum you have the freedom of expressing your thoughts! And one could explain whatever he/she wants.. maintaining the decorum.
Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I still see this happening very frequently... doesn't look like not many are reading this thread.

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

I guess forum is for discussions for this thing we have IndiVine that I discovered today only lolz thought only need to add my blog at indiblogger

Manas Khatri
Manas Khatri
from Faizabad
12 years ago

"Renie: You've provided a button to say mark discussion as "shameless self promotion" but how many people have to mark it that before it gets removed?"

I agree to ur point and would appreciate what u said..

Meera
Meera
from Chennai
12 years ago

I agree that this kind of self promotion gets us nowhere. Indivine is one forum where we can submit posts that are interesting and people do read them and vote for them.

Meera

Edwin Jacob
Edwin Jacob
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Word! I'm relatively new to indiblogger an the "It's time to Tab" contest is my first one. After putting up my post I got a few comments from fellow Indibloggers appreciating my post and asking me for a review of their posts. At  first i thought it was genuine appreciation but then I see they posted similar (if not the exact same) comments on every other contestants page. They expect me to promote theirs if I want them to promote mine; Quid Pro Quo eh? Well I didnt accept comments that was aimed at self-promotion after that. I was really saddened to see my post drop from the top 20 down to maybe somewhere near the 100 by now just because I didnt go all out self-promoting. Truth be told, I did get tempted and i gave in and tried promoting mine but I couldnt go ahead with it. At the risk of Incurring the wrath of few, I must say that some of the top posts for the competition are badly worded, tackily done and poorly researched. And judging by previous contest's outcome I know that these post will be in the winning list. Hope the real bloggers out there (And by that I dont mean ME) get the recognition they deserve by their own merit and may the best blogger win such competitions.

I completely agree with you Edwin....its really sad and disappointing to see people promoting themselves like anything...really agitating..Yell

Actually we should have confidence on whatever we write and than let others decide upon it's quality and other aspects...If the content is good than for sure its gonna get popularity...self promotion has really shattered the spirit with which one should participate in a competition...

Pappu
Pappu
from Some city in India
12 years ago

Well, I am engaging on other activities in this forum. And interacting with bloggers too. But.....

PLEES CHECK MY BLOG ALSO!!!

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

lol

Aakriti
Aakriti
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Hmm....I understand what u are trying to get at...but at the same time I agree with Rashmi...I too have shared my blog posts ..have begun to in this space.. but I think one should also acknowledge other blogger's thoughts before accuusing them under the blanket of "self publicity"....

Also one thing to notice is the kind of posts ppl share here...as of what I know I consciously scan out posts...sieve them before sharing here..there is a reason I share posts which I want ppl to read and be aware of.. so adding a "read more" drwas attention, yes it does...but I dont see it as a harm if only ppl are gtting enlightened by reading what ur thoughts are, by sharing theirs too...its a process...and well ur forum thread is just "ur" viewpoint, and may be a few others as well...at the same time its imp to understand that thoughts, perceptions vary...one thing can be viewed from diffrnt angles, and that's where the beauty of it lies...

Sakshi Shioramwar
Sakshi Shioramwar
from Pune
11 years ago

I have been through some not-so-very-interesting posts just because i stumbled upon them because of their popularity/promotion/self promotion..when one blogs, he/she wants people to read it and so the self-promotion follows..to some extent even the chats and forums are produced to show one's presence on a certin platform like indiblogger..no one is omnipresent in a way to know your blog's presence everytime it's posted..that's why things like search engine optimization is thete! you have to promote it and that is self promotion..to chat..to interact feels good as it brings common thoughts and experiences where we can relate to each other which is actually fantastic but this is one aspect of blogging, not the only aspect..come on guys..be honest

Deepa
Deepa
from Bangalore
11 years ago

http://merinautanki.blogspot.in/2012/06/open-letter-to-acp-vasant-dhoble.html

this topic that I wrote on has been getting on my nerves ever since it started showing on the papers.

farziadmin
from delhi
11 years ago

Heights of irony...No not your post or article  but your comment in this topic. Kudos!!

lol

psychic gamer
psychic gamer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I was going through the posts, all with a serious mindset and had a query, but seeing the second last post of Dee Dee really made me fall of from my chair laughing!!

Anyways, I had a query that, blogs do need promotion, atleast thats wht I feel after seeing the traffic on my blog. Thus can anyone guide me regarding how to do effective promotion of blogs, rather than "shameless promotion"!!??

Kumar Vikram
Kumar Vikram
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Let the bloggers decide what is 'shameless self-promotion', what is 'self-promotion', what is 'promotion', what is 'promo', what is'....'---I think we need to be dogmatic about it. Otherwise that may also be considered a kind of  a 'shameless self-promotion'...

Kumar Vikram
from New Delhi
11 years ago

please read: 'I do not think that we need to be dogmatic about it.'

Kedar
Kedar
from Vadodara
11 years ago

There are reasons for people do shameless plug and that's cause there is no clear visibility to individual's / newcomer's work! I'm on indiblogger but I donot feel the success of connecting or networking!! If you don't feel networked you'll try hard... and those shameless plugs are SCREAMS for grabbing attention... Ofcourse it is not good and blah blah... but then If we really get to see what's latest and what's old... What's up-coming and what was already established - we 'll have lesser of such.

Consider one more point, for top blogs listed we're actually going over the hash tags but thus leaving the DEDICATED TO SUBJECT blogs lag behind.

AND THIS IS IMPORTANT:: It's a shame that http://www.animhut.com/ and http://www.indianfoodfreak.com/ rank first two in a "photography blogs" while we donot see the most liked photography blog of Daniel Joshi anywhere!!! Go through indivine posts for Lifestyle>photography, "Joshi Daniel" rocks it till almost 10 pages!!!!! No one else could enter his domain !! So there is something we need to improve the visibility of blogs!! Both above blogs are quite nice but photography is not their subject... I hope I clear my point...

So those who dislike for shameless plugs there are reasons to do that... Nobody like to do it but when you know things are good they should be appreciated and indiblogger promised the platform for that... and you don't get it... you started to scream for attention...

Why new comers do a shameless plugs is because people don't get much attention!! I have always found diffulties in getting people to take interest in any of my blogs - may be they're bad or may be I may have lesser number of people in my network!! Is there anyway we can find what's the networks strength of particular friend - where to explore - what to see - like giving / asking for "suggestions" for blogs?

So here is my suggestion.... we shall review the blogs and if they're of lower standards, doesnt belong to particular subject we shall remove them, categorise them efficiently!!!

I write quotes: http://ilike.nitty-witty.com/

I learn photography: http://photography.nitty-witty.com

I blog tech / various subjects: http://kedar.nitty-witty.com/blog

PS: nothingg.

LockSign in to reply to this thread