Colgate 'The Moral of the Story is...' contest

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Two out of every three Indians suffer from gum problems and are unaware of it. Blood can be the sign of bigger gum problems like gingivitis, receding gums or even tooth loss if left untreated. One should not ignore the warning signs your body gives you!

So blog away, write a moral story about ignoring warning signs and win great prizes :

• 1 Sony XPeria Z
  • 16X Rs 5000 Nike vouchers
  • Colgate hamper for all participants with a valid entry

For more details, visit the contest page.

Edited 10 years ago
Reason: -
Replies 121 to 140 of 237 Descending
Nishant Gandhi
Nishant Gandhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Renie, is it possible for you to disclose the structure of the judging team? If majority of the say is from Colgate's side, I doubt whether entries unrelated to tooth/gum issues will stand a chance?

Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

I think most, if not all of the winning entries were tooth/gum related stories, which is why the IB team sent it back. Just a hunch though.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

hahaaa then who'll read my blindness awareness article [quick shrug]

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

This thread got the 'Last' button by mistake. :D

Nishant Gandhi
Nishant Gandhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

A quick glance through the submitted entries shows that at least 90% of them are tooth/gum related. Maybe its the general mentality to ignore instructions or people assume that because its a Colgate sponsored contest hence such an entry would stand a better chance.

I think it was clearly mentioned in the contest brief '...write a moral story about ignoring warning signs' so due weightage should be given to non-tooth/gum entry as long as it fulfils other criteria on creativity and originality.  

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Nishant, I do agree with you that if a non-tooth gum story is very creative, original etc it should be given the weightage it deserves. I also think you're absolutely right in implying that the instructions clearly stated the moral story should be about ignoring any warning signs, but then, that should include warning signs related to tooth and gum loss as well isn't it? I do not think people have ignored instructions by writing a moral story about ignoring tooth and gum signs because the instructions said any kind of signs can be mentioned. Maybe they have written about it because it is easy to imagine or they like the topic. Especially in cases where they're not mentioning Colgate directly. Wink

Mamata Patil
Mamata Patil
from Gurgaon
10 years ago

Any news about results? Today? Sure?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

It's highly unlikely that the results will be declared today. 

Nishant Gandhi
Nishant Gandhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Let me rephrase my point Rakhee! I meant - just because the contest is sponsored by Colgate should not imply (even indirectly) that entries should revolve around tooth/gum related warning signs. The way I read, it is pretty clear instruction that the theme of story should be ignorance of warning signs and consequences thereof. As per me, it could be any organ/disease related sign. 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

these companies invest in these kinda blogging campaigns to spread awareness about their products as well, not just distribute expensive goodies and play Santa. So they do expect some reference to their product too. a creative blogger will write post not connected to teeth/gum , yet somehow connect it to it.

TechChumz
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Nishant, if what you mean is that companies should lay more stress on rewarding entries which creatively introduce original and imaginative ideas while adhering to guidelines and are not that predictable in terms of content, I second you wholeheartedly. After all, companies do keep mentioning "creativity and originality". I also think it's perfectly ok if the blogger prefers to be creative and original in design, or in writing style, video creation, graphics etc. Personally, I'm a dud at that, but I see many bloggers doing an awesome job at that, even teenagers, and it's inspiring, not to mention educational.

Anne John
Anne John
from Chennai
10 years ago

Oh great! I wrote 2 entries and although I did follow the contest instructions neither of my entries have any relation to teeth/gums - they deal with ignoring warning signs in other situations in life. So from the above comments I guess I can forget about winning anything :-(

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

renie had returned the list for re-valuation to give emphasis to creativity too, so i think u have hopeSmile

@everyone: It all depends on the judges and the brand. So just wait and watch. If you don't win, learn what went wrong and give your best for the upcoming contests. Don't just write to win, write because we love to blog. Cool

Nishant Gandhi
Nishant Gandhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nandini - not necessarily. Colgate as a brand is already huge. They wouldn't resort to this form of advertisment for a fairly well established and known product line.We already have TV and print media catering to that.

Blogging related contests are BTL advertising methods with a niche target audience. Colgate might be looking to capture eyeballs for a new product/service that's being launched under their brand umbrella and hence this route.

And honestly, irrespetive of how creative one might be, I don't know how you can connect to Colgate's products creatively without your story being about dental signs/tooth/gum related ailments? If you can share such an entry, I'm really keen to read.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i've not really read the entries so cant pin point any such entries, i was generally speaking about these blogging contests which are a kinda marketing strategy for the company no matter big or small, they get back links from these contests/plus an online presence. 

Ekta Khetan
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Nishant,let me add to your views on this post results :)

Gopala Ramanan
Gopala Ramanan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Hi Colgate is announcing the results on 29th Jul 2013...Click HereCool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Be careful! Others will attack you if Colgate doesn't announce [ contest ] results on 29th.Laughing

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Ranjith Laughing

Avadhoot
from Jabalpur
10 years ago

Innocent hmm...  Financial results  

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Nooooo.... Financial Results! Tongue out

Gopala Ramanan
Gopala Ramanan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Laughing...just wanted to get some fun into the forum, as people are getting restless (including me) and serious discussions. This is my first contest and I have 2 blogs and I need to use the finance related blog for this contest. I am also eager to see how the contests work. Since I track the stock market, I got this alert and thought this will give some break to the serious posts.

Am sure Colgate will announce their results on 29th (100% sure)....may not announce the contest resultCry.

Cheers....Gopal

Isha
Isha
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Will the result ever be announced?

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
10 years ago

The theory of empty-headed high-headedness in decision-making.

I believe delays in result-announcement could be wherever there is an 'agency' connecting a sponsor and indiblogger. We have just too many PR Agencies and those looking after social media campaigns and they are all fighting for accounts... they are also manned by 20-somethings who are prone to take decisions that are aimed to benefit either people they know or for reasons other than just merit. These youngsters who are neither good at creative expressions nor are followers of good grammar, tend to have 'empty-headed high-headedness in decision-making' because there is no one else having spare time to read 400 posts and judging them. The senior managers in multi-nationals are too busy with their pan-India or global strategy build-ups... the senior employees of Agencies, if they have any, are neck deep into negotiating for more accounts... so this task reaches the lower echelons in an Agency and they happily botch up everything.

Many of us have felt that the winners in many contests weren't really the best... this may have been tolerated ealier when the number of bloggers was far less than it is today. There are MORE bloggers... MORE indibloggers... MORE vociferous bloggers... and so even the indi team is probably now in no mood to accept decisions handed to them by an Agency that reeks of shoddy judging. Therefore the delays that we see.

Any comments about this theory?

Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago
Your theory is logical and has a solid base. I don't have much experience in the blogging sphere but have read many blog posts and wondered at the criteria for choosing winning entries. There is no solution in sight though as the volumes are such that the donkey work of reading posts will fall on the lower most echelons. I have seen the same thing in book publishing. Totally inexperienced copy editors murdering the original sense of authors to make them fit style and nonsensical conventions. This is an extension of the same behaviour. I had suggested that a peer group be formed for screening contest entries. Something like table marking that is done in universities to ensure fairness and averaging out inconsistent checking and marking. May be Inditeam can take this up with the sponsors and derive some method through this madness.
Arvind ji, your knowledge in this field in unsurpassable.

Yes sir I also feel that the deserving entries should win the prize and if possible Indiblogger admins should declare the winning entries and not the sponsor or Agency.

I request Webmaster and Webadmin to think over this issue since delays are quite annoying and I think my suggesstion might help Indiblogger to dispatch the prizes within the stipulated time limit.

Gopala Ramanan
Gopala Ramanan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Well said (wrote) Arvind ! These contests are for making visitors to their webpage. Since they sponsor the indiblogger events, they want this mileage. If anyone wants the results in 2 days....just log on to Facebook and mention that Colgate is sleeping and can't keep up their words. You will be surprised to get the results published (Selection as Arvind mentioned). Negative comments in the social media is not appreciated in FMCG sector and will be quickly acted upon. 

They do not want quality blog, they want clicks to their sites. This was my first contest - any may be the last one, going by the sponsors way of judging.

By the by, Colgate has announced their results (financial)...the profits have gone up 58% (thanks to indiblogger community...to some extent, we have contributed)...click HERE for more details (not for advertisement).

Cheers...Gopal

Deepan Siddhu
Deepan Siddhu
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Aravind Sir - You are absolutely right. 

Kitchen mummy
Kitchen mummy
from Kundli
10 years ago

Well Arvind ji, I agree with you that the standard and expectations has gone up with more people writing. however, the same applies to organizers too then. they ar expected to be more efficient and innovative in content / prizes / winners' declaration etc too...  Its not just the bloggers who need to pull up their socks.

Shaumik Daityari
Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Any updates?

Contest page says Prizes would be sent by 27th July. But who did they send the prizes to? Tongue out

Gopala Ramanan
Gopala Ramanan
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Well...as they (Colgate) says...DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNING SIGNS.....and the contest THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS.....eveyone can relate to very well.....we shouldn't have ignored the signs (when we didn't get the results on time)....and the moral of the story is .....(read Arvind's post). I think, it is time for the IndiBlogger to disengage from Colgate to save their reputation.

If still someone is waiting to get their gifts.......go back to THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS......

Good day....keep blogging....Gopal

Kamlesh Parikarath
Kamlesh Parikarath
from Bangalore
10 years ago

will the results ever come ????

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
10 years ago

We don't have an update today folks, no ETA either. Sorry. Will get you the ETA tomorrow!

Nishant Gandhi
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Finally I went out and bought a new toothbrush and tube of paste. I was so hoping to receive the hamper at least by now!Cry

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

=)).

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

lol @nishantLaughing

Mohammad Farooq
Mohammad Farooq
from Bangalore
10 years ago