Lessons from Mumbai dabbawals

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

http://aahang.wordpress.com/2009/12/20/lessons-from-mumbai-dabbawalas/

I attended a workshop at ISB where the dabbawalas shared their simple yet effective ways of doing business.This post is inspired by the learnings from the session and would really help people in business and management to put things into perspective.

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
Adarsh Rao
Adarsh Rao
from Minnesota
14 years ago

'...since the management gurus discovered that there is more sense in their simple ways than there is in all management book combined.'

That statement in your post, sums up the article for me. There a lot of such simple examples around us, that are successful and present good business models. While analysis is good, at times, doing it too much could be a 'over-kill'. Not to mention the fancy concepts that get generated!

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Yes paralysis by analyis is constatnly pulling down organizational effectiveness these days.

Thank you for your comment.

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
11 years ago

You wrote that a few have been invited to go to Harvard to deliver a lecture. I have read that Harvard (Business School--?) went to them to study them. Perhaps both statements are true.

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Blog Link are not supposed to be given in forumsYell

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Exceptions to the rule of not posting the links can be applied to your blog on lessons to be learnt from Dabbawallas, i believe it is a well written article full of meaning, which may not be taught in any management school, kudos i liked it very much

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I realised that Dabbawalllas in Mumbai can achieve perfection which equavalent to Six Sigma by simple markings on the lunch box. They are empowered to take decision and act swiftly, it is how amazing the system of lunch delivery without much of boss management. A complex task is achieved because of using the practical knowledge to the fullest and tying up the logistics, with help of cheap suburban trains system, sharing autos, cycles, hand cart, etc. I believe a good organisation does all the homework before they recruit and would be willing to understand the needs and not greed of the employee. Flexible work time can be employed if one is working for a 24×7 customer oriented organisation, otherwise it better to advice the employee to get out on time, and spend time for the family. Anybody shirking work, or is having a habit of passing buck can be considered a liability and should be asked to leave before the probation period ends.

LockSign in to reply to this thread