Moving to custom domain : Thanks to SubashChy for the free domain

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

My blog has been shifted to http://www.alightheartedtalk.com

I thank SubashChy who has registered a domain for me free of cost and also has set it up.

How can one ensure that backlinks and all such things are not affected when moving from a .blogspot domain to a .com domain?

HELP

At the payment stage, I noticed that there is no option of paying through paymate? What do I do nwo? I want to move my blog to a custom domain before it celebrates its first birthday.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: update
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Good question! There was a similar topic I suppose long back with a good number of replies in it, try digging it out for some nice insights on this one!
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I wonder if one can get any help from the search functionality on IndiBlogger.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

But still... do you remember the title of the thread that might help me find it using google search?

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
:-( I dont remember anything now, but guessing it was a thread by Animesh, though am very shaky on this one..
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Animesh Waiting for you....

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Good job Arti and Ranjith.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Nice to see you again on the forum Ranjith:)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Reading that thraed, I am really scared of losing those few feedburner e mail subscriptions. How do we implement the redirect? 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

It was the power of Google and Arti . Just Googled 'site:http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/ Animesh' and found the result on the second page itself.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ DS Where did I go? I was always appearing as a guest and then leaving atleast once a week. Didn't I? From now, you can expect to see me more regularly as in the beginning. I am taking a laptop along with to my hostel after my mid semester break. Really excited on being able to connect back with the virtual world more conveniently. 

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yeah! The power of Arti, loved this one :P:D
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats nice, guest appearances are good but we need the main role from you!!
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Nice memory Arti:)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ DS Definitely

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks DS! That is something I have in my genes *touchwood* :)
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Ranjith Good to hear:)
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Arti Ya, in your genes!!
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I'll wait for two days for some useful replies and then proceed. If anything goes wrong, I am sure that the techie guys will surely help me.

Nikhil
Nikhil
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Nice Decision to move to a custom domain Smile

If you'll do it via Google, Google will take care of everything.

if you switch to a custom domain via a different source ask their support if their DNS Management allows you to create multiple A Records( IP address of a domain) for a single naked domain because google wants custom domain to point to 4 diferent IP's. 

What you'll loose ?

PageRank

Alexa Rank

Good Luck Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Thank you. Buying domain from google is the best thing but I can pay only through paymate.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

google is not a domain registrar, you will not be getting the domain from google even if u purchase from blogger dashboard

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

That's fine. I was talking about buying domain from google dashboard. Will that make things easier?

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

a bit yet, however adding a cname record in the domain control pannel is not a big deal so u can buy from anywhere u r comfirtable with.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

This I what I will be doing:

• Buying domain from Indiatimes
  • Changing settings on my blogger dashboard so that the new address will be myblog.com (The redirection will be automatically enforced. Right? And will http://myblog.blogspot.com/pages/xyz.html be redirected to http://myblog.com/pages/xyz.html or to myblog.com
  • Configuring my feedburner account so that my old feed points to my new feed URL while retaining the subscribers. Will it have any effect on ranks(IndiRank and similar things)
  • Configuring Google friendconnect (Should I do it?)

Is there anything more that I should be doing?

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

the redirectinon will be automatic.that's correct. your all old posts will be redirected to new address.

indirank will be effected by changing the domain name, i guess you will have to re-add ur new URL (ur old URL will still work and redirect auto to new one)/

google friend connect is optianl.either do it or skip,ur choice.

i think that shold do it, howwever i must recommend you to configure google webmasters account and make the move thier as well. which will tell google u moved ur blog.

i have a blogspot blog and some domains (GO daddy) free which i m not using for now. if you want i can pass the details to you so u can try it live without making changes on your real blog. if u do it once as hands on willl be more easy to do next time.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Thanks for those last few words. Let me directly try it on my own blog. It will be a good experience.

If I don't make changes to Google Friend Connect, will I lose any followers?

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

to be honest, i have  not tried frind connect yet. so not sure about how this works. Maybe someone with enough info can jump in here.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Then, let me try it myself or wait for someone to help.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

HELP

At the payment stage, I noticed that there is no option of paying through paymate? What do I do nwo? I want to move my blog to a custom domain before it celebrates its first birthday.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

which date is birth day ?   

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Wait a minute. I have forgotten it. :-)

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

haha. sure sure

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

More than one day has passed thanks to the power cut. My blog was born on 18th October at 8:55 am.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Ready for my proposal stated below?

I had faced same issue , tried by cash card option too , but a failure, then had a chance to go to Jaipur, there I met them in person and paid in cash the 600 annual charge.
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

The same proposal again. If someone canbuy a domain name for me (will cost around Rs 500) I will order whatever they would like to on any site that supports payment through paymate upto a limit of Rs 700. Can anyone help in this way. You can pay for me after I pay for your order.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

i will buy a domain for you, give me the name. I dont want to get money for it but I understand you will not accept it for free.

You can transfer me the cost via bank transfer or anyway you wish. or just promote one of my project on your blog.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Thank you very much. Please do buy the domain alightheartedtalk.com. I wish to see http://alightheartedtalk.blogspot.com/ in its new place as soon as possible. 

I will place a link to your blog on my blog but I wonder if you can get any traffic from it. It is still in its budding stage.

You can shop anything from sites that accept payment through paymate (IndiTimes IndiaPlaza ... You can find the list here: http://www.giftmate.co.in/giftmate/gm_where.asp )

Or I can recharge your mobile for Rs 500.

( You can currently avail this top-up service for Aircel, Airtel, Idea, Vodafone, Reliance, Tata Indicom, Virgin Mobile, BSNL, UNINOR and BPL (Loop) Mobile networks.

Note: 1. Airtel services are temporarily unavailable but will be back shortly. 2. Mobile Recharge is currently unavailable for customers who have changed their service provider through mobile      number portability. )

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I have added you to my network. 

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

i will get back to you with registration detalis soon..

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Thank you once again. Smile

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

http://www.alightheartedtalk.com/ is yours now.

Say cheeez.i will let you know if  i need something from you, for now just smile.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

My blog has been shifted tohttp://www.alightheartedtalk.com

I thank SubashsChy who has registered a domain for me free of cost and also has set it up.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Congrats dude!
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats great Ranjith :)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Thanks Hemal and DS

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Hey thats really nice, Am happy for you! Congrats Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Thank you Arti

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Very noble work Sub:)
Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

Here is a detailed case study of re b*****ng a popular blog in India:

Case study: Changing domain name and re b*****ng a popular website

This covers various aspects you need to consider while changing the domain name and also the side effects.

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Good case study on AmitBhawani's move Tony (By the way yesterday it was again amitbhawani.com with respect to his conversation with google team).  I enjoyed reading the full extra long (Will not say boaring, it was not at all) article.

LockSign in to reply to this thread