Kolaveri Di ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

This song sung by Dhanush has become a cult number, i am intrigued how it can happen.  The word literally means Kolaveri Di in Tamil Murderous rage dear.  the song is appealing to millions transcending the language barrier.  My take is that it appeals to all teenagers who are in love and failed to secure the attention of the opposite sex, particularly male.  The author and singer dedicates the number as soup song, when you are in soup and wanna sing or express yourself in the bathroom...Lolz  Am i right.

Replies 1 to 13 of 13 Descending
Nothing can be done or undone, human nature, it will catch the cellullois
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Now Dhanush is coming on his own, after living under the shadows of his father in law Superstar.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I loved the song absolutely! I am listening to it now, and its only song playing on my iPad connected to my loud speaker! I already have listened it for more than 6 times.. 

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

same here. got it breaking the proxy at office somehow ;) awesome. lovd it.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I am glad that you liked it Hemal, even the Big B has said Kudos for the effort.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yay, I am never like this.. I have saved the same song in 128, 256 and 512 KBits and it has a dedicated playlist with the same song in different quality. And its the only song I am playing since morning! absolutely loving it..

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

When I heard it the first time, I thought it was just another sadak chhaap song... when I heard it for the third time, well by that time I was already addicted! Tongue out

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

This theme is popular with youth. DevD's Emotional Atyachar was another such. Lot of young men have probably had experience of young women toying around with their affections and moving on. So these kind of songs appeal to them. Once it catches on in this group and breaches critical threshold, it become a rage among everyone else as well.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I agree with you TF. this one song is very similar to how Emotional Atyachar was put up and became famous. more thna "Ra-One" like promotions, the essence of this song was the viral marketting it got, word of mouth spread!

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Reposting to where it was intended: U must also remember the song Ae ante amalapurom from Andhra movie.

Yet another example for bandwagon effect, Music rekindles the soul in that aspect it is really a good attepmt, there were several such songs(Which has no meaning and no purpose)..I guess in future Indian carnatic music may havea  collaboration with HIP HOP...Like sa ri ga ma ***** pa tha  ni sa ***** !

Mayur
Mayur
from goa
12 years ago

Holy cow. This got 3 million views in 8 days on youtube?.  Heard it once didn't get any feel, maybe i have to hear it dosen times to get addicted. I am seriously partial to old black american singers like temptaions, marvin gaye, king etc and slow songs. Therefore mostly avoid south indian songs as mostly all the famous songs are rowdy, this looks a bit diff. Thanks umeshji to bring this song to my attention, now i can forward this songs to my friends and let them get addicted.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
U must also remember the song Ae ante amalapurom from Andhra movie.

@mayur: ideology differs, South Indian songs are not as exactly like you say, ROWDY songs ? i don't understand it, every song has its own + and -, AMerican songs ??? HOLY COW, i don't think americans and western songs are as great as our Hindi,Tamil,Malayalam songs...FOr ex take A.R Rehman and Ilayaraja..South India is the cradle of Indian music, if Indian music directors given a chance like Rahman, sure we will grab more oscar and grammy(Neither of them is as great to be received by Indian musicians)Indian music is much much higher than so called western blabberings !AND again, this song can be grouped under fun, it is not an art for sure !

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Its Official! After 3 years, i have changed my phone's ringtone! KolaveriDi! Its my Ringtone now.... Rofl
iChetan
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Haha! I too removed that epic nokia tune to keep kolaveri di as my ringtone. :D

NS
NS
from San Jose, California, USA
12 years ago

Oh My. I MUST listen to this song now.. I don't understand the language.. Will I still like it? What is so great about it?? Is it the music? Lyrics? Beat?

iChetan
from Kolkata
12 years ago

The youtube video has subtitles. :) 

Vivek Sheel
Vivek Sheel
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Check my article titled 'Why this Kolaveri Di' ? on my blog. You might find it interesting :):)

iChetan
iChetan
from Kolkata
12 years ago

I think the very apt reason for the song's success is its catchy music. We always love natural ways. The lyrics and the flow of the song is pretty natural. And thus, i am in love with the song. Like this, Kolaveri.. Kolaveri.. kolaveri di. :D

iChetan
iChetan
from Kolkata
12 years ago

I feel, if the video and subtitles hadn't been there, the song would not have been what it is now. 

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The sub titles helped the song to register in the minds of non Tamil speaking audience too.  I feel it is going to be one of the top chart bursters of all time.  The song yet to be picturised for the movie, it will be a challenge.

Milind
Milind
from London
12 years ago
Here is a Spanish song about failure in love. http://t.co/3pIkh56q A haunting song with very little music which has been used in the film "Talk to her". And the translation here : http://t.co/Ycj3zeqv

LockSign in to reply to this thread