Which is the best photo editing software?

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Please guide friends.

I am not professional photographer, I know Picassa, Photoscape and photoshope. But which is best, why? I found many other too, but haven't tried, yet!

Thanks Smile.

If this topic is repeated please remove. :)

Replies 1 to 14 of 14 Descending
Stephen
Stephen
from Raleigh
12 years ago

I personally feel that Google Picassa is best for those naive and PS requires knowledge and Google Picassa provides readymade options to edit the photos...and Photoscape is too good...

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I agree, TSW, Picassa, is just great, but nowadays, I felt it insufficient, or thought to grow some knowledge. I found photoscape as good. 

Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Gimp is good and free software  ....... and has most of the feature of Photoshop .  Easy to use tool kit .

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Can you share the link from where I can download Gimp. And, what software you use for watermarking.. Dhiraj?

Rohit Singh Jain
from Chennai
12 years ago

yeah and it's light too.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

www.gimp.org   .   For Water marking i use Kigo image converter ........

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Thanks Dhiraj, I have heard about Gimp too, I was doing search on this issue few days back. and I found good reviews for gimp, then I thought Indi experts' opinion, is more practical, so again started thread here. 

I felt photoshop confusing. :(

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Thanks Dhiraj, I dont know much abt photo editing and all and like Mohini, find it very confusing too.. will surely download this software.. Will have a look at Kigo too... thanks for sharing.. Smile

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ gimp is relative very easy to use ........  One don't have to use all the features .

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

When you buy a camera you get software along with Sony, Nikon and other cameras original software for edits.  I found interstudio a good software for video editing

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Thanks Umeshji. I haven't done video editing yet. So didn't know about it. Though I have some videos and they need editing too.

Antara
Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

Best photo editing software is Adobe Lightroom. Hands down. Every single photographer relative/friend uses it...so do I...absolutely wonderful!

Rohit Singh Jain
from Chennai
12 years ago

lightroom is absolutely professional. I use CS5 now.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Antara, Lighroom is new for me, will try. Thanks. Smile

Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

@Rohit true. but if you are working with RAW or you want really good photos, Lightroom is perfect

@Mohinee do :) It might take some getting used to...but it is wonderful

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I use Photoscape, Photoshop and Dreamlight EditorTongue out.

But personally I think PAINT is the bestCoolLaughingand also PhotoshopSmile

Rohit Singh Jain
from Chennai
12 years ago

There's CorelDraw too.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Dear Sweetie, how many editors do you use? Smile . You are so talented. (I am stil trying to remember balance sheet : Tongue out)

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

For effects - Picassa. For basic cropping - Microsoft photo editor. For batch watermarking - Fastone Image viewer. Personally, I like to put up most of my photos un-edited, as and how they were seen by me.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

We too like your photos unedited .........

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I don't think photos by you need any editing. They are naturally too good! I haven't forgotten that of Char Dham Yatra especially.  exceptionally beautiful. divine.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

How sweet of both of you... I am no photographer and dont know much about photo editing, thats probably also the reason I dont touch my photos and just put them the way they are.. I am really fortuante to have myself surrounded by friends like you, thank you Smile

1)Winows Photo Manager

2)Picasa

3) Adobe CS3 

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Oh Great, something new for me...Thanks Deepak.

Rohit Singh Jain
Rohit Singh Jain
from Chennai
12 years ago

Why are we forgetting CorelDraw, arguably Photoshop's best competitor?

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

yes, we forgot corel draw. I haven't tried yet. Smile

Subhorup Dasgupta
Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

For tech-challenged people like me, Picasa works best, since it intuits the most common fixes that I might want. For holiday pics and family occasions, I find Picasa fixes more than sufficient for putting snaps out in the public.

For the slightly more demanding and adventurous user in me, with slightly greater "RAW" intelligence, I prefer Irfanview with all plug-ins. My liking for irfanview is primarily for the range of control it gives over all aspect of image processing while being VERY FAST and LIGHT on the processor (even on a secondgen i5 with 4 MB RAM, Lightroom or GIMP can drag).

For the super intelligent and hard to satisfy "prosumer" in me, nothing but the full monty - CS5 - will do, not even GIMP unless you are ideologically so inclined.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Subhorup, what a wonderful way to explain? Unforgettable. I wish, I could ever have such teacher. Thanks Smile

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

I cannot think beyond Lightroom. I do not photoshop images, just Post production, and for that Lightroom is perfect :)

Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

Yep. Love lightroom.

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
12 years ago

I love photoshop for all that it is capable of doing... however, I am able use only a fraction of it's talent.

So far as cameras and photography are concerned... yes, it is the ability to capture the fleeting moment that creates a wonderful picture... the camera may not necessarily be a DSLR. This said, the camera does matter... for the ease with which you can prime yourself and shoot with a DSLR will never happen if you try with any point-and-shoot... I know how different it is to capture moments when I have my Sony DSC H2 or a Nikon 5000 in my hands. The results are vastly different. With the Sony, i miss more than I capture... always.

Tanveer Khan
Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

I don't know about the easiest, but the best is photoshop.

Btw, how may of us actually pay for an original copy? Tongue out

remo@b'lore
from Bangalore
12 years ago

It's not correct to assume things.

Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

not assuming, just asking.

remo@b'lore
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Ah..ok my apologies!! I misunderstood.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

It is a genuine question. There are people who buy it, but then there are those who don't. That's why open source FTW!! That's why Gimp is loved by a lot of people because its free and very useful tool with all the stuff you need for a lot of people. The problem when removing digital noise on the photo @somesh is that you tend to loose details. The more you do it, the more it does. Either get some lights, balance the ISO (well atleast I can manually set ISO on a 4k worth basic camera like canon a800 so yeah) and if the loss of detail during removing noise isn't bad enough, its all good.

somesh mahanty
somesh mahanty
from durgapur
12 years ago

ther is "PHOTO!". I use it for cleaning noise from pics taken in low light conditions.It is free!!

(For the layman, when u take photos with mobile cam in low light, the pic obtained contains many little red and green dots. that is noise.)

Chaitanya Kulkarni
Chaitanya Kulkarni
from Mumbai
12 years ago

MS Paint is the best 

LockSign in to reply to this thread