Google Page Rank 4 in less than two months

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
11 years ago

Hi Folks,

The latest Google Page Rank update has surprised (rather shocked) me. My new Open Source blog It's FOSS which is not even two months old has a Google Page Rank 4 (and Alexarank 500K+, if it matters). In last 50 days, I have published 30 posts so far, all of them related to Linux, Open Source, Ubuntu.

So far, there has not been even a single comment on the new blog. Traffic has been, I would say, poor. In 50 days it has 2200 pageviews with 1.64 pages/visit and duration of 1.45 (Analytics stats).

It has 13 Feedburner subscribe. I have not tried to advertise this blog on my "bigger blog".

While my other general purpose technology blog Computer And You has a page rank of 3 only despite that it being almost 2 years old (1 year since it moved to self hosting).

Now I have little knowledge about SEO and stuff, though I do not focus much on it, I wonder what I am doing right with my new blog that it got this good page rank in under 2 months.

Experienced bloggers and SEO experts, any ideas on this one? How long do you think one should take to get Google Page Ranks?

Edited 11 years ago
Reason: To provide more information
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

Only you can tell what you are doing right with your blog. Its all about useful content. High PR but alexa rank is way to high. 

Abhishek
from Allahabad
11 years ago

Thanks for reply Shalu,

Alexa rank is too high.. agree. But I am still not able to understand how come it got PR4 so soon, without high traffic? There are not many backlinks to my website as well.

Medha Nagur
Medha Nagur
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Hey Abhishek.

I am surprised in the same way as you are. My blog is just 3+ months old and my PR has jumped from 0 to 3 in just few weeks after I last checked my page rank.

I am stunned to see but I am happy offcourse. Even I wonder how this happened? My stats are not all that great either with just 3500+ visits in 3 months.

Alexa is way too high with 2,156,826. My post frequency is not all that good with just 1 per week. 

Does any body have any idea what is with google?

Abhishek
from Allahabad
11 years ago

The low post frequency explains high alexa rank. But I still wonder abot high page rank.

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
11 years ago

PR has never been a measure of traffic or quality. Pr is assigned based on the value of the links to the site. If you have some links from other PR4 or PR5 sites, you will get PR4 no matter what traffic/posts you have.

Abhishek
from Allahabad
11 years ago

Hi Tony,

I know that backlinks matter. But what I presumed taht you need many high quality backlinks for PR4. And I do not see that many high quality backlinks. My older blogs have like so many of backlinks (but lots of outgoing links as well). Could taht be a factor?

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

PR is important and so is alexra ranking. Unless you don't get it down to a 100,000 then PR is not that any good. PR is also determined by age of the domain name. 

Interestingly mine bas been updated to both a PR 3 and alexa ranking has also dropped dramatically. Still need to see if it makes any difference in terms of traffic. 

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
11 years ago

Abhishek,

You have few links from some FB pages that has good PR. Sometimes it does not take many links to get a high PR. If you have a single link from a PR5 page, you could end up with PR4.

Sometime back I made a forum post here on exact same topic ("My 8 weeks old site got PR4") which admins deleted :-) That was the same case as yours - I started  a new site, almost no traffic, no promotions but got PR4 immediately. The reason was a single link from a PR5 page in Wikipedia. That site still retains PR4 with not much traffic.

Did you check if you have a PR5 link from somesite to your new site?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Aren't wikipedia links to external sites no follow?

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
11 years ago

Shalu Sharma,

PR has nothing to do (directly) with domain age.

Also, both PR and Alexa rank has no (direct) role in improving the traffic to your blog. It is the other way around (higher traffic will improve your Alexa rankings and better links will improve your PR). 

PR and Alexa rank is like the speedometer in your car. It just shows the performace of your car. If you want to see higher reading in the speedometer, increase speed of your car. Don't expect the other way!

Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

Toney John, it certainy does. There are several parameters that is taken into account when PRs are allocated and age is also taken into account. Alexa ranks is about traffic, the more traffic the better rankings. There are also other things taken into account such as their toolbars etc. 

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
11 years ago

I write on Make Tech Easier. It has PR 5-6 most probably. I have several backlinks from it. Apart from thet couple pf other PR4 sites have backlinks to it, but they are not too many.

Does the PR rank gets affected if you have many "outgoing links" from your site to others?

img, #cubbies-overlay{ -moz-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -moz-transition-duration: 0.1s; -webkit-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -webkit-transition-duration: 0.1s; } .cubbies-selected{ z-index: 9999; box-shadow: 3px 3px 8px -1px blue !important; cursor: pointer !important; margin: -3px 3px 3px -3px; } .cubbies-selected:active{ box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px -1px darkblue !important; margin: -1px 1px 1px -1px; } #cubbies-overlay{ position: fixed; z-index: 9999; bottom: 30px; left: 30px; box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); border: none; } #cubbies-overlay:hover{ box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgb(0,0,0); }
Nisha
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Recently Google has goofed up while updating its data. And many of my friends complained about slipping to lower rank while they expected to be promoted. So, I am not going by their current updation. Abhishek, have you written to Google about it?

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
11 years ago

Abhishek,

Outgoing links from any page will not reduce the PR of that page. HOWEVER, outgoing links will reduce your ability to pass your PR to your other pages.

Consider this: Say your home page has PR4. Typically, you will have few links from home page to your other category pages. The links from home page to other pages will pass X% of your homepage's PR to the linked pages. The more links you have, the less PR value each of the linked pages get. If you have only a limited number of links from your PR4 home page, most probably the pages linked from homepage will become PR3. Now, if you have a lot of links from homepage, the share of PR value each linked page gets is reduced. If all of the links are to your own pages, even though the share each page gets is reduced, they are still gone to your own pages, so you do not lose much. But if you link to external pages, your own pages are losing some share resulting in lower PR value for the linked pages.

So, the short answer is, having lot of outgoing links will not reduce the PR of the page that has the links, but it will reduce the ability of that page to pass PR to other pages, potentially resulting in lower PR for other pages.

LockSign in to reply to this thread