How to deal with spam comments?

Ashwini
Ashwini
from Pune
11 years ago

Hi All,

I'm getting these really annoying spam comments from past few weeks. My blog's comment moderation is ON and everytime I see those kind of comments I mark them as spam. Still they haven't yet stopped. Is there any other way to stop it?

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending
Raowords
Raowords
from Bengaluru
11 years ago

Hi Ashwini, Activate Word Verification under Settings > Posts and Comments

I hope this should solve your problems

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

The problem is that there is an influx of human spammers. Companies and unknown entities hire such services to promote themselves or save themselves from a bad image. The services of human spammers is also being used to spam in forums. Akismet helps and so does word verification, but to an extent. Usually they use anonymous IP addresses to do such spamming. It reduces most of it, but its best if one deems one as spam manually. Not everyone who share links are spammers.

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
11 years ago

It depends on your settings... If you want to stop spam, then yes, word verification does help to a certain extent, but that deters some of the proper commenters from giving a comment. Esp. those of us who use mobile to read and comment. 

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
11 years ago

Can Akismet or Disqus be used on Blogger ? They cut the spam to a great extent

G Prashanth Kumar Sarda
from Bellary
11 years ago

I know that Disqus can be used for sure on Blogger... Its a wonderful commenting platform... Wanted to do the change myself too, but for some reasons, Disqus was not able to sync my existing comments (runnings into thousands of useful ones), and I did not want to loose them... Will keep trying for when they fix the issue, and then will change myself too... Btw, activating word verification is good tool to cut down on spam links, especially when your site/blog has a decent PR... 

Purnendu
from Pune
11 years ago

If Disqus can be used on blogger then I will suggest Ashwini to use it. It cuts down spam to a great extent. To be double sure, you can get an Akismet API and feed it in Disqus. 

Aniruddha Rege
Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

God! I just delete them whenever they come up...anything with obvious spam links. I don't mind bloggers asking me to check out their blogs, but completely unrelated stuff?

But mine is a new blog, and comments are still few. So spam is also less!

Aditya Dey
Aditya Dey
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Disqus is one of the best tools available to deal with spam comments... Its very much reliable and worthy too

Rohan Shankar
Rohan Shankar
from Bhubaneswar
11 years ago

Install disqus, its super amazing! No spam comment what so ever after that!

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
11 years ago

Spam comments are very annoying.Idelete them manually but as someone said-they are not discouraged at all.

Another fallout which i do not like is,that my page views are not completely of those who come to read my posts;but there is no way of segregating spam page views from genuine ones--or is there?Please tell.

Dhaval Thakur
Dhaval Thakur
from Chennai
11 years ago

i just optimize those spam comments for my site lol :D

Hari Narayana
Hari Narayana
from Pune
9 years ago

What about a self hosted site on wordpress? Any settings with respect to that?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
9 years ago

You can use Akismet.

Gaurab
from New Delhi
9 years ago

@Hari - Most of the spammers like posting links. So, go to your comment moderation and ban any comment which contains a link. This will automatically take them to spam folder. If by mistake some useful comment has gone there, you can keep it and delete the rest. Smile

Saru Singhal
Saru Singhal
from Toronto
9 years ago

Remove anonymous commenting from your blog, if you have allowed it. I used to get 100+ everyday and it has stopped since I removed anonymous commenting.

Akismet does a good job, but still few of those which slips in, I delete them straight away...

LockSign in to reply to this thread