SEO vs. Content

Aniruddha Rege
Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

I am writing an article for my Special Feature Series on my blog. It is about what is more important to a blog...SEO or Content?

There are a lot more experienced bloggers than me on IndiBlogger, and I thought to ask heir opinion about this. Keep in mind that the article is for newbie bloggers, with perosnal blogs..not corporate blogs. Do you think such a blogger should concetrate on SEO? Or is Content still King?

Replies 1 to 17 of 17 Descending
Ravindra Joisa
Ravindra Joisa
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Quality Content matters.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I feel, both are complementary to each other and one cant work without the other. Of course, for a newbie blogger, the focus should always be writing of good content and then marketing it in the relevant circles. SEO, still comes with time.

Aniruddha Rege
Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

OK...I see that all of you prefer Content over SEO. And I completely agree. SEO can come in later, when your blog has a good archive list. Till then, Great content is the only way forward!

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Only if I knew what's SEO Embarassed

Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

Search engine optimization.  Optimizing your blog so that search engines rank it quickly and high. I can't believe you didn't know that!

Doc. You continue to baffle me.
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Oh Okey.... ya thanks Aniruddha Undecided.... what to be so surprised of.... didn't you guys see the acompanying 'embarassment' smiley with my comment YellFrownLaughing

OK OK then I vote for content...

Shilpa Jadhav
Shilpa Jadhav
from Navi Mumbai
11 years ago

Content is king but SEO help u reach u r targeted reader.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

ok then you won't know that unreal number chapter Undecided

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

BTW would anyone be generous enough to check my blog(s) and suggest me how to work on SEO for it? Smile

I am tech 0

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

PL did you have mathematics in your intermediate? Undecided

I had but what addition or subtraction is needed. 

Hmmm
Hmmm
from Nainital
11 years ago

I am not having an experience of many years in blogging, but I must say both content and SEO is important if one really wants his/her blog to be read by someone.

What will be the use if your article with quality content does not reach to more readers, only because it lacks in SEO? Similarly, a super-SEO optimized blog post, if ranks higher in search engines but does not have something useful weaved in it, will be a fair wastage of both writer and readers' useful time.

Also, if a established blogger is trying to think just from the SEO point of view, then it is really unfair! Being a famous blogger with a popular blog, it become one's first duty to serve good and unique to his/her readers.

So, I think both content and seo has their own value. You can't make a cocktail with a single bottle of cold drink!

Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

Duty? I'm not a communist so I don't really understand that! But I haven't seen any established blogger rely only on SEO and give out poor content. In fact, huge bloggers like Problogger and Copyblogger have some of the best most unique content I have ever seen!

Robinsh Kumar
Robinsh Kumar
from Allahababd
11 years ago

Content was king, content is king and content will be king :)

Subroto
Subroto
from Brisbane
11 years ago

Content should be the king but then there are so many blogs that that have poor content but a big audience.   So there are other factors at work too.  But then at the end of the day it depends on what you want.  Do you write for yourself or does the hit-count matter more to you?

Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

This is kinda true. But I thnk SEO will help you grow from a certain point till a certain point. After and Before that, only content will help you!

Hmmm
Hmmm
from Nainital
11 years ago

@Aniruddha,

Actually, I meant the same. You cannot kill your content in order to optimize your blog. 

"Duty? I'm not a communist so I don't really understand that!"

Yes, I addressed it as 'duty'. Do SEO, but if you are already having a good number of readers, your posts should be reader-friendly. I have seen a number of blog which are ranked good in SE, but the way they put the informative part of the content is close to boring.

For example, long articles are said be ranked higher by search engines. But stretching an innocent(short) article for better SEO cannot be said as a good decision. That's why I mentioned both are important. Content is the 'soul' and SEO may work as a transformer in your blog.

Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

Then I agree with you, Ank. Stretching articles just for SEO is hopeless. And naive, in my opinion. I have always concentrated only on my content, and some promotion. What traffic comes, comes!

Chaitanya Kulkarni
Chaitanya Kulkarni
from Mumbai
11 years ago

there is no such this are SEO vs Content, because in SEO, Content is King

Pratik Thorat
Pratik Thorat
from Kalyan
11 years ago

who write post for him/herself? May be there are some people but many people write because they want that people hear thier voice. SEO is the way to get noticed in the search engine and talk with larger audience.

by doing SEO you just tell people "hey, I have what you want to read", but in the core if you don't have the content that holds people and make them read every line of your writing, then what's the point in doing SEO.

Also for newbie bloggers its very important to write engaging content cause content is the base of every blog if that base is weak you can't create solid blog.

And SEO is much technical and vast, newbies are already get frustated with all the new things they see in blogging so introducing them SEO at the start of the blogging journey is not really helpful to them.

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
11 years ago

Even Matt from Google asks Bloggers to write for readers, not Search Engines. There is no alternative to good content

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

inspiring Undecided

Lady gaga is most searched name on search engines, my post lady gaga may or may not like my poetry, can make my blog hit?

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

PL if you really want your journals to be hot-dog then post some *****y posts like free-enlargement-techniques and all those dorky stuffs... give your email there and you'll receive more client mails/comments which will make Dr Jain green eyed Cool

DOC. I cannot cheat. A person was complaining he received a magnifying glass on order for enlargements magical cure. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

so what... isn't it great to attain some greatness before own eyes Laughing

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

SEO is long dead. The only thing that matters is social media and on page optimisation of your quality content. 

Arpan Aravandekar
Arpan Aravandekar
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Both are important parts........................ coz youre blog is lifted and depend on this bothe topics.......... you have to follow both consistently

Dhaval Thakur
Dhaval Thakur
from Chennai
11 years ago
Well I would go for SEO.. If your post is SEO frndly.. Then ur content wud obviously a quality one... So according to me SEO is king and content is queen ( similar to chess game)
Aniruddha Rege
from Pune
11 years ago

This is not always correct. I have seen posts that are very SEO frienly, but the author has concentrated completely on the SEO part. Taking your Chess analogy, the Queen moves a lot farther than the King. The queen is the most imprtant piece!

LockSign in to reply to this thread