Testing Times For Indian Education System

Neerja Sharma
Neerja Sharma
from Noida
14 years ago

With Mr. Kapil Sibal's announcement a few days ago showing his keenness to introduce a 'One nation, One Board' system for the school students in India, it seems the gates of an old, dilapidated building, called education in India, have been opened. And the people from every walk of life in India want to say something or else on it. Thanks to the idiot box and the print media. The impatience and excitement of people to express their views on the same is not a surprise at all. After a long time, a healthy discussion and open forum kind of an environment has been created-knowingly or unknowingly.Whether the 'One Nation, One Board' model of education is put into practice or not, any healthy discussion and efforts put into, at least giving the whole concept of education a new direction are welcome. There are two schools of thought in this debate also, but it's a thought provoking one. For once, the debate is for the betterment of the indian student, or so it looks, provided no religious or political coloring is given to it.Education system in our country, sadly but surely is rotting and something needs to be done pretty fast to stop the rotting any further. The educational institutions need to be more oriented towards the students' needs, interests, and most importantly, trigger the creative juices in them, instead of putting a mixture of bookish ideas in their heads, tightly shut, with no air of fresh and innovative ideas going in.Thanks Mr. Sibal for giving the academicians, educators, and everybody or anybody related to education to come out and debate on the need for a newer, better, more robust, and effective education system. We need a complete overhaul in the education system, in content, delivery, as well as testing/evaluating. It's some food for thought for all concerned. What say?

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
Annapurna Das
Annapurna Das
from Noida,U.P.,India
14 years ago

Righto, Neerja...completely agree....I too have expressed my opinions on this, the night I heard it announced, in my post on http://growingwithyou.wordpress.com .(No Board Exams).

Mr. Sibal's suggestion is a welcome one, though so much else need to be done. Every step we take towards a freer system of education is like a drop of manna.

Very well written post.

http://iexploretolearn.blogspot.com

Neerja Sharma
Neerja Sharma
from Noida
14 years ago

Yes Annapurna, I read your blog on the same topic and liked it.......But I hope that something positive and productive comes out of all this debate and talking. The ultimate sufferer is the student who is left confused and baffled.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Keep blogging!!!

Shankar
Shankar
from Chennai
14 years ago

The marks in mark sheet speaks every where in India..Not only our education system.... lot of things has to be changed in our country... But who will do those?? Many bloggers have written a lot of contents about our educational system..Whats the use? Its like reading bhagavath gita into deaf ears.. http://ballat.blogspot.com

Shankar
Shankar
from Chennai
14 years ago

The marks in mark sheet speaks every where in India..Not only our education system.... lot of things has to be changed in our country... But who will do those?? Many bloggers have written a lot of contents about our educational system..Whats the use? Its like reading bhagavath gita into deaf ears.. http://ballat.blogspot.com

Ravi Bramhapuram
Ravi Bramhapuram
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I Like Kapil Sibal's idea of removing the board exam for X. But, I am NOT ready for having single board throughout India. If we have a single board and it is managed properly, then it will have good results. But, if it is NOT managed properly, it will spoil the education system of all students in India. At least, if there are multiple boards, we will have the option of sending our children to the better one.

Jithin K.Rajeev
Jithin K.Rajeev
from Kalpakkam
14 years ago

Having a single board throughout India and removing the tenth board exam has it's own pros and cons. But I believe it's more of cons. A single board, means there is a loss of choice and without a sense of competition, the people who decide about what reaches the student through their boards, will not innovate.

Removing the tenth board might seem good, but it is a good medium to filter those who haven't got the basics right. We can do away with the board exam if we have a better education system. I have penned down some of my thoughts here.

http://jithinkr.posterous.com/should-the-class-tenth-board-exam-be-scraped

Neerja Sharma
Neerja Sharma
from Noida
14 years ago

Yes the idea is to make education a really useful and a complete learning experience and not mugging up the textbooks without actual knowledge just in order to do well in the board exams. The term 'Board Exams' itself is pretty scary, testing the knowledge is not wrong and should be there, but the way of testing needs a change.

LockSign in to reply to this thread