Wndows not traceable after installing Ubuntu! SOS experts :(

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

After my non-resolving issues with browser and webpage-opening, I installed Ubuntu 14.04 as some of forum-friends had suggested. I didn't format my old win 8.1 OS but now whenever I start my computer it directly logs in to ubuntu and I'm not getting any clue how to open my windows! Any lead guys?

I was checking for lowest quotes on original windows and in FK found this: http://www.flipkart.com/microsoft-windows-8-8-1-sl-oem-64-bit/p/itmdztjtw8gymtwd?pid=OPSDNW94WXHFDGAF but someone has reviewed there that it is OEM version, hence support won't be provided by MS!!! Anyone having knowledge about s/w and license things kindly put a torch beam [confused-shy-smile]

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

AS Bro sorry dont know anything about Ubuntu but pressing F8 at startup may give you options.

MS provides updates for OEM versions too broda 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Ok will try VP... but I was expecting a menu where they will let me choose between two as I used to do more than a decade back in my desktop... one used to be win 98 and other win ME [grin]

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

The Linux (most new Ubuntu installations) come with a bootloader which recognize both, windows and linux boot partitions, and accommodate both of them. In case you're unable to see Windows in the bootloader, you can make use of the bootloader repair options built in in the boot disk to update the bootloader to show the windows installation as well.

Your windows installation is most probably safe, untouched. Just run the bootloader repair and you might get it back.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Ajit, please don't lose your patience if I request you to elaborate "you can make use of the bootloader repair options built in in the boot disk to update the bootloader to show the windows installation as well." It totally went tangentially brushing my hairless scalp [sigh]

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

No issues, AS. If I were to lose patience, I would have probably stayed away.Tongue out

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Ok great... then start your nursery level teaching [wink]

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

I hope these links will help you get through, pretty well.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/226061/how-to-install-the-boot-repair-tool-in-an-ubuntu-live-disc

and 

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

This will install the boot repair tool in your live disk. Separately downloading one will be a too expensive one in terms of time. Once you do that, you have to boot using the boot disk and you can get the option to repair the installation.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Ok burning the boot repair cd then

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

One query for ubuntu users:-

Is it generally slower than win 8?? Or there're settings those need some fiddling to tune up ubuntu in my lappy?? I'm finding it slower than windows [sigh]

Desire v/s Destiny
from Gurgaon
9 years ago

No  its never slow , I used it and it worked well.

CyberKID
from India
9 years ago

Haven't tried Windows 8 beyond the Developer preview, but, I can surely say that Ubuntu hasn't ever been slow compared to any windows OS's.

Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

I presume that you fixed the issue with Grub bootloader then?

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

No not yet Abhishek [sigh]

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
9 years ago

AS try CTRL + F8 and try it several times Cool

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Didn't work either!

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
9 years ago

Well... since I have written a number of articles on dual booting Ubuntu... I'll share my experience with you..

At the boot time... press ESC several times.. it will show you the Boot Options momentarily and will also show the Key which you should use to access it. Generally its F10 or F12. In the boot menu, go and check the boot order in UEFI. You cna try to boot in Windows from here by choosing Windows boot loader. I am pretty sure you will end up with a black screen with Grub error.

Considering that you have just installed Ubuntu, I presume you have no data on Ubuntu partition. I would suggest to run a checksum on the ISO you have downloaded. And if it has error, download another and re-install it. You can read the articles on how to do it on It's FOSS (my blog) or Everyday Linux User (very effective). not posting the links here to avid the guidelines.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
9 years ago

Thanks Abhishek [smile]

LockSign in to reply to this thread