Didn't like the blog you reviewed? How to comment?

Kshitij
Kshitij
from Faridabad
14 years ago

Hi. I am sure all of us come across this situation more than often. We take up a blog for review and don't like something or the other about it. How do we comment in that case? Most of the people ask us to leave negative comments (if any), but I have seen out of my experience that criticism doesn't often go well with them.

I used to review a lot of blogs and leave honest comments... ended up upsetting a soul or two. They didnt take it well. Since then, I have stopped reviewing blogs.

My current policy - Say something only if you have nice stuff on your mind. Else, stay shut.

I am not okay with this policy. What's your take. What's the best way to handle this?

Please don't say that we should play with words and give feedback that looks sweet from outside (but means business from within). Or is that the only way?

K****ij

http://dusht-ka-drishtikone.blogspot.com/

http://mitti-ka-sher.blogspot.com/ 

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
pundit
pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

Perhaps you can mix your (constructive) criticisms with along with things you find positive about the blog you reviewed. Say something nice, point out what you don't like, say something else nice, etc.But however you choose to handle this, I think people shouldn't request for reviews if they aren't willing to listen to what people have to say and improve.

Parv Kaushik
from Lucknow, Noida
14 years ago

i agree with pundit on his views.. u should follow it. and more ever just by saying that look i'm being very honest and ur blog sucks look thats negativ critism live with it nd dont react. hahaha!! i knw u never would have said such a thing but still a way is to give honest opinion is to tell people to "improve this" or tell thm hw can they thr blog "more interesting" i think that wont offend people at all and you'll be able to help people also!

Archana
Archana
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I guess you should not stop reviewing just because one or two people did not take your comments for good purpose. There maybe people who like your honest reviews and would be thankful to you.

I havent noticed your reviews, but yes, we too can learn in how to deal criticism with such persons who do not take it lightly. Maybe we can learn how to become a better critic over the time, by putting forward your negative view in straight words, but politely, instead of being blunt etc. :D

Its the same as dealing negative comments on your blog posts. They leave their negative comments on the post, but what you have posted is your point of view.

pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

I think negative comments on one's blog are slightly different from negative opinions when you request a review. In one of these cases, you didn't ask for anything and don't need to put up with any nonsense. In the other, you asked for it, so you should be able to take what others have to say.

I moderate, edit, and (rarely) delete extremely negative comments from my journal. But I won't fight a bad opinion someone has of my writing or my journal. I'll just take whatever constructive ideas I can from their words and leave it at that.

Paritosh Kumar
Paritosh Kumar
from Noida
14 years ago

What if I really hate the blog? Should I tell something about it? I really have burnt my fingers once, won't like to do it again. Seems I am not meant to be a critic ;)

pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

I think you should tell them how you feel. Also, I feel telling someone why you hate it is more useful than just telling them you hate it. Hate is a strong word and a strong emotion.

What specifically do you hate about it? Do you hate the nature of the content? Does the author's writing suck? Do you hate the fact it's laced with obtrusive advertising? ... At least if there is some objective component to your dislike of their blog, they might learn something.

DS
DS
from Delhi
14 years ago

Here is my two pence on what I think is right (not neccesarily what I do!) -

Interestingly, I relate to this problem - in a different domain. I review books and I faced this dilemma whenever I hated books I've read. I used to simply not write about them. But I realized, I was wrong in doing that. From the Iittle I know, critisim/review is about your thoughts on the content - not just your "good" thoughts about it or even worse (like I did), your thoughts about the "good content".

If the blogger asks for an honest feedback, give it. Its the problem of the one asking if she cant deal with critisism. O'course it is not acceptable to haul insults - even if you hate the blog! But I guess, you can always convey what you do not like as plainly as you can say - "I'm hungry" or "I need to sleep" - as in, matter of fact-ly, without sugar coating.

If you can put into words your view on the blog, I guess you should review it. I can understand that, sometimes you hate something so much, you dont even know where to begin - it is tuff then. Good Luck!

In a related thought, can we have votes on blog-reviews like say -

I love it and would recommend it to everyone I see henceforth even if they think I've gone mad

I love it and will come back

A good way to kill time

Its bad

I hate it so much, I dont know where to begin

This way, people, who dont want to write reviews can still pass on their opinion making the reviews more useful.

- DS

Hot cup of coffee

Mummys Rhymes

Archana
from Bangalore
14 years ago

blog review ratings is a good idea...

If the blogger asks for an honest feedback, give it. Its the problem of the one asking if she cant deal with critisism. O'course it is not acceptable to haul insults - even if you hate the blog!

Agree...

You can say, " I would love to see more spicy posts and of different topics" instead of saying, "The blog is too boring and useless for me!!!"

www.archanaonline.com

Kshitij
Kshitij
from Faridabad
14 years ago

OK... I am getting the hang of it. I will try again. nayi shakti se.

THREAD CLOSED~~SHIFT + DELETED

Talking Skull
Talking Skull
from Kolkata
14 years ago

No K****ij - you can't "Shift-Delete' this just like that. You are taking the escapist route. We all have the moral obligation to keep the webspace free of garbage. For the blogs that "The Gifted We" don't like, the authors can be categorised broadly into three types:

1. Type A: With little encouragement and direction, they can be the "next gifted We"; these types are generally very open to criticisms and constructive feedbacks.

2. Type B: They also have the potential to improve, but are obdurate to any feedback or criticisms.

3. Type C1: The useless ruts who will anyway fade after a their third blog. They don't cause much harm, except wasting a domin name.

4. Type C2: The successful-in-life-types who will never have the time or inclination to write the fourth blog. They also don't cause much harm, except wasting a domin name.

So... Type A - no issues. For Type C, no need to waste time... For Type B, this is how you should respond:

"I read your blog and it was extremely invigorating. I suggest that you write at least three screenfuls (or seven if you are not in Coma) on other topics that are equally interesting to you. It could be on the cotton prices in Cyprus OR the effect of planet's positions on houseflies OR mating habits of Bolivian chameleons OR....". This will definitely make them happy, and at the same time ensure their gradual descent into further oblivion.

Remember, there is no point in getting into an argument with the 'Type B' - because, as somebody said, they will bring the argument down to THEIR level of intellect and then beat you on experience...

pundit
from Oslo
14 years ago

I guess part of the problem is you don't necessarily know what personality type you're dealing with before you provide them your review. By the time you do, you're already in an argument.

Talking Skull
Talking Skull
from Kolkata
14 years ago

@ Pundit

OK.... I forgot to talk about the fundamental stuff... there are multiple ways of doing that, some of which are listed below:

1. If the blog has been written using a pen/ pencil, some handwriting analysis books like "Analysis of Handwriting" (Jacoby, HJ) or "Handwriting & Personality" (Ann Mahoney) should help. But make sure that all your comments are typed and not 'written' on the screen - for the blogger might also be having that book!!

2. Most of the blogers moderate the comments. Write an inane one-liners as a comment - if that gets moderated and published within 5 minutes, the blogger is likely to be a Type B. To confirm this, write another inane comment exactly 7.4 minutes after the first one. If that gets published within 3 minutes, the blogger is definitely a type B. Then, proceed with the medication advised above.

3. Request the blogger to take a Personality Profiling Test (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, DISC etc.) - may be,  you can offer a free gift as an incentive. Based on the outcome of the test, proceed with the medication advised above.

4. If you are STILL CLUELESS, write the comment I suggested above: "I read your blog and it was extremely invigorating. I suggest that you write at least three screenfuls (or seven, if you are not in Coma) on other topics that are equally interesting to you. It could be on the cotton prices in Cyprus OR the effect of planet's positions on houseflies OR mating habits of Bolivian chameleons OR....". It is harmless (to you, at least), and if well targeted, will help drive traffic to YOUR blog... :-P

Aria
from New Delhi
14 years ago

Gosh! That's some parabolical labyrinth! After reading this, my sympathies are with those poor fellas who dare to review blogs.  : )

Roohani Deshpande
Roohani Deshpande
from New Delhi
14 years ago

K****ij, I think this is quite a subjective issue - but as most people have said here, the key is to provide suggestions and not outrightly criticise the author.

Instead of commenting on how BAD something is, comment on how it COULD'VE BEEN made better, or something.

If u go upto someone and criticise them in clear words, obviously they would not take it well. If the same thing had happened with u, perhaps you would have felt hurt too. Instead, if u offer suggestions or share what you would have done in the author's place, the blogger would appreciate ur criticism and even thank you for the honest feedback.

Remember, the key is to suggest, not to criticise. :)

LockSign in to reply to this thread