Upanayana for girls

Palahalli
Palahalli
from Bangalore
14 years ago

In my post on the subject, I had spoken strongly in favor of the thread ceremony for girls and also all students of all castes within Hinduism/Sanatana Dharma.

I have two daughters and am planning the elder one's Upanayana.

What is your opinion?

Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Descending
Harsha Chittar
Harsha Chittar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I once had this same conversation with my Grandfather, who has written a book called "Hindu Dharmadha Parichaya", he had strong opinions against it.

My personal opinion is that Upanayana should be done, and by Upanayana my meaning is that the child (girl or boy) should be told of the meaning of Gayathri mantra, the power of chanting it. The important thing is not the ceremony, but doing sandhyavandana everyday, or reciting the mantra everyday. Do we really need elaborate ceremonies with purohits. I think you can yourself give Gayatri mantra bhodanae to your kids.

Palahalli
from Bangalore
14 years ago
Thanks Harsha. But why not the ceremony also? It is an important element of the process - whether conducted by the purohita or self. I'm happy to find you agree otherwise as I too agree with the core of your thoughts. Imbibing the meaning and practice is important If I may ask, how did your grandfather explain his opposition? Thanks much for your response!
THENOMANSLAND
THENOMANSLAND
from bangalore
14 years ago

Thanks for this article.Really All Indian People should read this article.

Happy Navaratri..

LockSign in to reply to this thread