Why can't we become teachers?

Sourav Roy
Sourav Roy
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Its exam time and all we can think about is books, notes and coffee. On this context, as a self realization (which every student goes through during exams), I must say that the most discussed topic among hostelites is the inferior quality of education and the teachers who literally don’t know to teach. My country has the oldest custom of education & I desperately want to prove them wrong. I must say, if given a chance (and paycheck) would love to take up teaching as a profession. I teach my room mate and I believe I’m pretty good at it. Right through my childhood, exam season has been the time when I get the opportunity to demonstrate my skills as a teacher. I have always believed that a teacher-student relationship is THE most beautiful relationship in the world.

If teaching can be so fascinating, why then, do we have a shortage of good teachers in our country? Forget about other institutions, IITs are running with a 50% shortage of staffs. Most teachers there have retired, yet have been asked to stay back on special requests. Its good to know that IIMs have taken a step forward by inspiring their alumni to stay back and teach, but the outcome is not at par with what is expected, in terms of quantity, ofcourse. There is a big halla over how much the country lacks educational institutions. We don’t lack educational institutions. We lack teachers. Bring in good teachers and entrepreneurs are more than happy to invest. But unfortunately, we don’t have quality teachers. Why is it so?? The answer is simple- Why will a skilled conversationalist, unless highly inspired by his personal motivation, prefer to teach with a salary less than that of a good-for-nothing-software-professional! A software engineer with an experience of 3-5 years, at an average earns more than a Head of Department in IIT with a lifelong experience. What a shame!

Who is to blame? The universal spit-basin- the government? ‘Cause every time we see a problem, we blame it to the bade bhaiyyas. Yes, indeed the government is to blame. The first step that can be taken is inspire skilled alumni to stay back in an institution and teach. Secondly, paycheck of a teacher should be at par with that of IT professionals. But most importantly, the youth must realize that teaching is an amazing profession. Job security, learning with teaching, plenty of time for recreation and a stable life- all in one place. This is one place where you get to prove yourself. I’d love to take it up as a profession, given a chance, (and a good paycheck, ofcourse) and I’d love to see the youth of my generation join in.

Replies 1 to 1 of 1 Descending
Hitched Hiker
Hitched Hiker
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Again... use a blog... this is a forum...

LockSign in to reply to this thread