Boycott channels that gag blogging!

jkwillsay
jkwillsay
from chennai
15 years ago

As you know the event of a serious blogger, who ended up being reprimanded by a news channel and which eventually hinted a serious threat to freedom of speech, i think bloggers should unite and oppose such move, one way that i thought is boycotting the channel by bloggers, don't see it and spread awareness, but then i saw this...

Read it

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

yes i agree but india is moving in a phase of change ,this is just begining, if u know or heard after 26/11 govt has planned to ban freedom of tv channels to broadcast,but at the last moment our pm stop that bill.

jkwillsay
jkwillsay
from chennai
15 years ago

The govt. stand is similar to that it took for our neighbour, lethargic. Well, even the opposition supported the move, so we have no chance of that bill seeing the light of the day.

Amit Surana
Amit Surana
from Bangalore
15 years ago

What I would suggest is apply a Disclaimer and copyright the contents. This way 'freedom of speech' will be preserved !!!

Ankit
Ankit
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Well.. u guys should see an article in today's TOI.. Its about a blogger being sued for defamatory remarks to Shiv Sena. The Court has rejected his plea for freedom of speech and also that stating a disclaimer wouldnt help

jkwillsay
jkwillsay
from chennai
15 years ago

I guess we haven't been given much room to write liberally, until we form a community to voice our concerns and speak out issues with our antagonists, our credibility cannot be established. We been losing grounds on the defamatory cases, this is because some bloggers do get personal or emotional and write stuff provoking the subject. The best tactic is camouflage content. Veiled attacks, do not name persons or organisations or community but make sure readers understand who you are talking about. This can reduce bloodsheds from our community. Think about it

Freedom of speech is always good and thankfully we are in India (and not in certain Arab countries or China). However, when we deal with sensitive socio-economic issues, we must always present known facts and not guesswork.

I agree with jkwillsay's point. One should avoid direct personal attacks and react on unconfirmed news. Please note that manytimes television is the source of inspiration and half the things they (especially certain news channels and their yellow journalism in printed media as well) broadcast are hype.

A lot of young bloggers tend to go out of the way when it comes to sensitive matters. This should be avoided! We are not in the United States and the risk to life is always there at the hands of politicians, goondas and religious fanatics.

LockSign in to reply to this thread