Which e mail provider is more reliable ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I have been using Yahoo and Google for the past 7 years, alongwith Indiatimes, Sify and Rediff.  So far among the providers i find Gmail has a slight edge when compared to others.  Yet there are so many issues i am grappling with when it comes to security of the mail.  Almost all commercial or banking platforms suggest that delete passwords and important security information as soon as you receive it.  

Replies 1 to 17 of 17 Descending
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I use Yahoo Mail and I like it a lot. I have a gmail account too. I don't use it for one reason: it isn't attractive.

Regarding spam: Since I use the same e mail on the net for all purposes, I receive more than 100 spam e mails every day. But still, most (more than 96%) of them go into the spam folder: a result of the training I had given to my mail account. Smile

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes Yahoo looks gr8 but they tend to block your images, particularly when you are planning to go commercial

Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

Ranjith

you can make gmail inbox as per your wish customzie it

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Neeraj I never knew that thing. Thanks for the information. SmileBut right now, I am quite comfortable with yahoo.

Priya
Priya
from Mumbai
12 years ago

i agree gmail is a little bland but it looks sophisticated. Hopefully the new improved gmail will hook more people to it.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Gmail is okies without frills, it is well configured to bunch all the emails from one source.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Gmail it is for me! Simple and effective!
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes Arti i too like gmail when compared to other mail providers

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Umesh

I have tried many and since I landed on gmail,m stick to it coz of simplicity,features and the best is security over other email providers.M surpised to see you are facing issues with security which is the best feature of gmail,you need to explore it

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Neeraj, well i don t wanna to expose some of the faults or drawbacks, i hope it comes from the users, otherwise it will be a spoiler.  Once i received a mail, which literally vanished into thin air as soon as i finished reading.  It was as if it was timed for 90 secs, no time to save or cut and paste, check spam and trash, it was nowhere an important evidence at that.  can you beat it Neeraj

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

GMAIL.........stolen my heart.

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I have no second thought... Yahoo!

give me a single instance of privacy or content breach by Yahoo! if you can :)

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Mohan, i had issues of important mails vanishing.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

My account derebail2002 was automatically closed without any intimation than i migrated to 2005Smile

Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Umesh

he is asking about yahoo,he loves it

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Hehe Mohan, what else other than Yahoo satisfy you??? :-P
Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Umesh

It could be possible that it was timed for 90 secs but unfortunately you recd. in gmail and started thinknig that gmail lacks security.Had it been sent to a yahoo/hotmail/rediff address,it wud have behaved the same way.

Few more things about gmail

Gmail introduced the https feature later came in other providers (any one can get your password without installing any virus in your pc without https via man in the middle attack)

Gmail provided the 2-5-7 gb kinda storage for emails,many people think that what one has to do with this much storage-mine is already over 3 gb so its really useful( m not the only exception lolz)

Gmail is the only email provider as if now who provides 2-step authentication (mostly and rarely banks provide this kinda facility)

Gmail has the best spam control feature powered by postiny (Have you ever seen any blog I must say a nice one that has specifically mentioned no aol/msn/yahoo id for email subscribers)

Last but not the least Gmail has the best support in anycase your account gets hacked the response time is damn less in comparison to any other email provider in many you wont even get a reply

And there are loads of other features that other providers dont provide,list is endless.

That is why I am a die hard Google lover coz I believe you must get good service incase you are paying for something and here incase of Google you get everything with a world class service for free.Its not like that I havent used others my first one was @ rediff then I switched to yahoo then gmail and I use all of them as well because of differnet products like messenger for yahoo,msdn account for hotmail likewise.It can be my new post as well why I love and prefer gmail over other email providers

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Keep a tab in the long run you will realise the pitfalls. Even among the e mail providers i consider gmail as the best. When it comes to important mails or documents one has to be careful, with back up copy, it is as simple as that.
Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

Yeah I agree that is why I have taken backup in gmail,my harddisk internal external both as I know disaster can happen to gmail( recently happened but they recovered everything),hdd,usb hdd hope wont happen to all of them simultaneously

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Neeraj, i am happy you concur this time, but if you experience important mail vanishing within 90 secs, you will be shocked Lolz

Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Umesh

read my reply regarding the 90 sec vanishing above,If I send a mail on any other email address of your choice setting the time it would behave the same ( its possible to set time in email using third party service,google it for more,may be someone tried to trap you )

anyhow not tracking this topic anymore

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Gmail, no problems with it so far!
abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

With gmail,one of the advantages is that you can ealiy access other google products like google docs.

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

typo *ealiy--easily

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ DS pl browse the above reply gone in 90 secs

abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

Did you guys know gmail was the first email service to provide 1 gb free inbox storage space? Others like hotmail, until a few years back, offerred only about 4 mb of storage space.  Gmail forced others to increase their standards of free storage!

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes Gmail in terms of features has been the best among the lot

Sujith
Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

I've been using Yahoo mail since 1999, but after the launch of Gmail, shifted to that, still maintainging Yahoo.

Apart from these , have India times, Rediff, in.com and my personal domain ids too.

In all aspects without a second thought can say Gmail is the best.

Sujith
from Kerala
12 years ago

I think Rediff is sinking..

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

my first id was on indiatimes. Rediff and indiatimes, I feel, can never compete with others when it comes to features :P

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ Sujith Did you experience gone in 90 secs anytime

Poorvi Shrivastav
Poorvi Shrivastav
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Hotmail/Win Live  all the way :) , and gmai for general usage ..

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Hotmail is good too, but limited storage, and limited attachments, gmail is better

Neeraj Rawat
Neeraj Rawat
from Delhi
12 years ago

@subhashchy

Google apps is powered by gmail only

@Umesh

Still the things aint clear here I guess anyhow cant teach you hacking here anyhow not tracking this topic anymore hope to make the things clear to you somewhere else,guess you know where once I get time from other stuff.Hope to clarify the things with email bomber to your hotmail or anyother non-gmail address with thousands emails/hour all disappearing in 2 secs much less than 90 secs

SubhashChy
from Mumbai
12 years ago

where i said its not ? In my first line itself i mentioned "i use google apps (Gmail) with outlook and push email for mobile"

not sure what u mean .huh

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I would like to know more about this technology wherein mails sent vanish so fast, that it is not stored in trash too

I Rely on hotmail solely. Since 10 years.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Hot mail is the best i suppose, i too will open an account

Sumit Nangia
Sumit Nangia
from Pune
12 years ago

Gmail is the best. I have account on ymail and hotmail too but connected them to my gmail. All mail  gets delivered there itself on my gmail. That is what the best feature of gmail is :) :)

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

just want to mention. You can lose your emails in any of the free provider's.

Just google "______ deleted my mails" and put the name of any free email provider. You will find many stories of people logging into their account to find out that all their mails are gone.

LockSign in to reply to this thread