Good Books all over the world

Dreaming Eyes
Dreaming Eyes
from Delhi
15 years ago

hi to all,

I have a huge interest in novels..so jst want to share my interest and knowledge with u frnz..If u ppl knw sum interesting and unforgettable books.. pls let all of us knw..so dat we can also enjoy dat book..

And yeah pls also tell why u like dis particular book and the name of the author..If possible give sum brief..

Replies 21 to 40 of 47 Descending
Dreaming Eyes
Dreaming Eyes
from Delhi
15 years ago

hello........thanx to sriharsha, et, megha, adesh, graffiti, kunal, pn, zeon, tw..

"Love in the time of cholera"...... vry good read....

workhard
workhard
from hyderabad
15 years ago

Hi, Hannibal Rising is a very interesting novel..Its about the making of Hanibal Lector, the reason and series of events which lead him to becoming this character.. When you read the book its very graphical.  How his childhood memories, the affect of war and the events that lead his families killing turns him to a vengeful person.  Must read this one.

www.forex-guides.com

Adesh Sidhu
Adesh Sidhu
from Gurgaon
15 years ago

Oops! I forgot Godfather. Really interesting gangster novel...

Kadambari Iyer
from Chennai
15 years ago

Ohh.. right. Godfather, then it's sequels too. The Sicialian and Omerta.

Godfather.

:)

Dreaming Eyes
Dreaming Eyes
from Delhi
14 years ago

hi...

m done with brida......fantastic book....

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

The Omen, Jian, Potter Series, Da Vinci

these are my favorites

ओमन मैंने भी पढ़ी है, बचपन में। पढ़कर इतना डर लगा था कि कई रातों को ठीक से सो नहीं पाया था!

होरर नोवलों में मुझे ड्रैक्युला भी पसंद है।

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I also read Mills and Boons! I had read in a news paper that Mills and Boons are looking out for some "Love" Writers from India! Indian love stories should soon start showing up on the book stores.

You guys know about that?

हां यह बात मैंने भी कहीं पढी थी। रोचक खबर है। शोभा डे यह काम हाथ में लें तो क्या कहने! पर इसकी संभावना कम हैं, शोभा डे के सितारे बुलंद हैं, वह इस तरह के हैक राइटिंग अब क्योंकर करेगी!

किसी ने आर के नारायण का जिक्र नहीं किया। उनकी कई किताबें बड़े ही मजेदार हैं। मेरी पसंद -

स्वामी एंड फ्रेंड्स

ए टाइगर फोर मालगुडी

द मैनईटर ओफ मालगुडी

किसी ने चार्ल्स डिकेनेस का नाम नहीं लिया। इनकी किताबें हमारे लिए बहुत ही प्रासंगिक हैं क्योंकि हमारे कई शहरों की समस्याएं उनके जमाने के लंदन की समस्याओं से मेल खाती हैं।

उदाहरण के लिए ओलिवर ट्विस्ट की कहानी मुंबई के स्लमों में रह रहे किसी भी लड़के की कहानी हो सकती है।

मुझे उनकी ये किताबें भी बेहद पसंद हैं -

पिवविक पेपर्स (गजब की ह्यूमर वाली किताब)

निकोलस नोकलबाई

डेविड कोपरफील्ड (जो शायद डिकेन्स का श्रेष्ठतम उपन्यास है)

डिकेन्स के उपन्यासों को पढ़कर हमारे प्रेमचंद याद आ जाते हैं। प्रेमचंद के सभी उपन्यास भी डिकेन्स के समान किसी न किसी सामाजिक कुरीति को लेकर चलते हैं, जैसे उनका गोदान (जमीनदारों द्वारा किसानों का शोषण), रंगभूमि (उद्योगों के लिए जमीन प्राप्त करने के लिए किसानों की बेदखली - अभी हाल में नंदीग्राम में जो हुआ था, उसकी याद दिलाता है), इत्यादि।

मैं किताबें इतना पढ़ता हूं कि अपनी पसंद की किताबों की सूची बनाने बैठ जाऊं, तो उसका अंत ही नहीं होगा। फिर भी मैं इन पुस्तकों का जिक्र किए बिना नहीं रह सकता, जिन्होंने मुझे बारबार आनंद दिया है -

शेर्लक होम्स - आर्थन कोनन डोयल

हेर्कयूल पाइरो के जासूसी उपन्यास - अगथा क्रिस्टी

पेरी मेसन के जासूसी उपन्सास - एर्ल स्टैन्ली गार्डनर

ह्यूमर वाली पुस्तकों में पीजीवुडहाउस के अलावा मुझे जेम्स हैरियट की पुस्तकें बहुत पसंद हैं। ये एक पशुचिकत्सक हैं और ये इंग्लैड के ग्रामीण इलाकों और किसानों के बारे में बहुत ही मार्मित रेखा चित्र लिखते हैं। इनकी कुछ किताबें ये हैं -

- इफ ओन्ली दे कुड टोक

- इट शुडिन्ट हैपन टु ए वेट

- लेट स्लीपिंग वेट्स लाय

- वेट इन हार्नेस

- वेट्स माइट फ्लाय

इत्यादि

और अंत में मैं सत्यजित रे के जासूसी उपन्सासों का जिक्र करना चाहूंगे, जिन्हें मैंने हिंदी अनुवाद में पढ़ा है। इनमें सत्यजित रे ने फेलू दा नामक एक जासूस को उतारा है जो शेर्लक होम्स, हेर्क्यूल पायरो, मिस मैपल आदि के टक्कर के जासूस हैं। फेलू दा जासूसी उपन्यासों में मुझे यह सबसे अच्छी लगी क्योंकि इसका बैकड्रोप लखनऊ है जहां मैंने भी अपना बचपन बिताया है -

औरंगजेब की अंगूठी

Nishchaya Bahuguna
Nishchaya Bahuguna
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Here are few of my favourite books:

1. The catcher in the rye - J D Salinger

2. To kill a mockingbird - Harper Lee

3. Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

4. Animal Farm - George Orwell

5. Sherlock Holmes - Conan Doyle

6. Almost everything by Premchand

7. Abhigyaan - Narendra Kohli

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Has anyone read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull ? It is a great book and one of my all time favorites

For the romantics I would suggest - Bridges of Madison County

For beginners in Philosophy - Meditations by Marcus Aurelius (excerpts on my blog)

For those with a deeper understanding of philosophy - Beyond Good and Evil by Fredrick Neitzsche(Quotes and interpretation on my blog)

Also I would recommend everyone to read Deewan e Ghalib.A lot of translations and interpretations are available.Some good work has been done by:

http://thesouthasianidea.wordpress.com

In hindi all books by Munshi Premchand and Saadat Hasan Manto.

I am such a book worm I even have Franz Kafka which I did not understand a bit plus it is damn depressing.don't read it if you still wish you carry on with your daily life.Smile

सुब्रमण्यम जी आप भी मेरी तरह छपी हुई वस्तुओं के दीवाने हैं फिर वो हिन्दी मे हों या अंग्रेज़ी में !

Thanks to everyone for sharing.Wish all of you great reading.It is the second best thing that you can do with your eyes ...guess the first one?

blog gore
blog gore
from Mumbai
14 years ago

A few books that I have read that have stayed with me mush after I have read them...

a) The God of small things (by Arundhati Roy) -  A book that probably wrote itslef

b) Shantaram (by Gregory David Roberts) - Grime, Crime, Lust, Sadism, Passion, Victory... The Mumbai Underbelly....

c) My Name is Red (by Orhan Pamuk) -  Abstract, stylised writing...

d) The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag (by Jim Corbett) - Simple, exotic - Takes you back in time, takes you out into the wild... you smell the forest.... you breathe in the air... you surrender to nature... and then the leopard leaps at you...

Dreaming Eyes
Dreaming Eyes
from Delhi
14 years ago

Speaking of love by Angela young....

nice book....

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Do read The House of Blue Mangoes by David Davidar .. He is from my hometown in Nagercoil and he is now one of the top management at Penguin books. He set up the first Penguin publications in India.

The story is set in a time where Indians were coping with the English rule. Its Indian, its written in a very lucid style and if you have not read it yet.. do read it and you will love it.

Incidentally "Blue Mango" is the literal meaning of a type of Mango called "Neelam" which is Blue in Tamil and this is a speciality in south India (Nagercoil near kanyakumari where I hail from) Hence the name house of Blue Mangoes

Do give me a feed back if anyone has read it

workhard
workhard
from hyderabad
14 years ago

One of the best books is The Godfather by Mario Puzo, u ll be so addicted to it.. one time is not enough..

I also love The Sicilian by Mario Puzo..

Anand Sathyanarayanan
from Chennai
14 years ago

It gives you something which you cannot refuse.

DS
DS
from Delhi
14 years ago

I'ld call my self an avid reader. I'm a huge fan of Pearl Buck and own most of her books - any company here?

I like reading fiction - historical fiction, women oriented fiction, literary fiction and an occasional chiclit. I also like multi cultural books - as in, books where in the author weaves the local culture and herigate into the plot / background.

In non-fiction, I read mostly memoris & biographies. I'm close to other stuff as such but need to find the book very appealing to pick it up.

I read fountain head back in college and remember being a rebel for a couple of months or so under the effect of the book! I'ld suggest, dont read it when your exams are coming up :).

- DS,

Hot cup of coffee

Mummy's Rhymes

DS
from Delhi
14 years ago

I'ld love to know if any of you are into harry potter books or if anyone could finish reading Lord of the Rings.

LockSign in to reply to this thread