Launch of IndiRank & IndiBlogger of the Month

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Bloggers at the forum! My apologies for not being around at the forum as often as I used to. I decided that the best way to explain myself is to show you all what we've been working on these past few weeks. We've been discussing a ranking/award system for a long time now via these topics started by Ram Prasad & BinaryDay:

IndiBlogger - Blog of the Day

Is there a way to view the popularity of the various IndiBlogs?

A huge thank you and lots of hugs from the IndiBlogger team to everyone who participated in these topics, your ideas and support. BinaryDay, a special thanks to you for showing us that this is not an impossible task. We've built an algorithm to rank our blogs and we've called it IndiRank. It's now the time to use the power of this forum to improve what we have built.

Read up about IndiRank here >

The faqs also have been updated with some doubts you may have on how it works. Everyone, this is in beta - so we really, really need all the inputs we can get on how well it works and how it can be improved.

Also announcing - IndiBlogger of the Month! Smile

Thanks to the nice & generous boys over at Microsoft, we have a prize to give out every month to a deserving blogger of our choice.

Check out the prizes here >

Of course, where else will the decision be taken other than our forum? Here's the process I think would make sense:

The IndiBlogger team will post a special topic on this forum, where we can all vote on a category for that particular month.

The IB team will then do the basic process of filtering for you, taking the top ranked blogs in that category and we'll post that as a separate topic. We can all vote for the blogs we like the most (in the midst of some fun & camaraderie, I'm sure!) If you find a blog in that category that does not make it's way into our initial list - you may nominate it. We cannot allow any prejudice, bribery or bugs in the system to affect the voting process - let's show our Election Commission how things should be done! 

Once you all give us your feedback on IndiRank, IndiBlogger of the Month and prizes, we'll get started with choosing the IndiBlogger of the Month - in the true spirit of the community we have discovered at this forum. Smile

1-20
21-36
Replies 1 to 20 of 36 Descending
Dr Pushkar
Dr Pushkar
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Thanks Renie. Fantastic job. Kudos to the indiblogger team!

There's a little glitch on the IndiRank page :- 

"If you have any other questions on IndiRank, please check our FAQs or send us a message  (link points to ---- Oops - page not found!)

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Hey Pushkar - thanks, that was the fastest bug find ever! It's fixed. Smile

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

good job renie.

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

sub: feedback and request

Renie just wanted to ask that  as we got the  badge on blogs, in future see that first top 100 badges will automatically  show  the rank. so the badge will get updated on the blog daily,

like the alexa rank.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Yep - that would be a widget, and we'll be making those soon.

Sandy
Sandy
from Delhi
15 years ago

@Rennie

First of all I would like u to create a few more categories, Politics, Sports (Lets us not be biased only towards cricket).

I am not sure how is this system going to work. Where is the place where we have the voting rights. Or is it that such feature is yet to be launched?

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Hey Sandy, the links on the IndiRank page are only samples, you can find the top ranked blogs using any of the tags!

http://www.indiblogger.in/tagsearch.php?tag=politics

http://www.indiblogger.in/tagsearch.php?tag=sports

Sandy
Sandy
from Delhi
15 years ago

But that does not answers my question completely.

First of all, how has this ranking been done and where is the place where we can vote.

Secondly, I just checked the ranked of my blog and it says NA. Cud u plzz explain what this means and how have the top ranked blogs been actually ranked.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Hey Sandy, for information on how the ranking is done, see this link:

http://www.indiblogger.in/indirank/

Please note that if your rank is NA, it DOES NOT mean that your IndiRank is 0. Everyone should ideally have a rank, and the rank goes from 1 - 100. As explained in our FAQs:

Why is my blog ranking unavailable? Your ranking may be unavailable for the following reasons: a) Our system was unable to get the relevant information about your blog. In most cases, there was a problem accessing your feed, or your feed threw up data which didn't make sense (such as all your posts being published at the same time). b) Your blog was only recently approved, and we have not ranked your blog as yet. You'll have to wait till next month's update!

As you can see, we still have a few issues to iron out.I'm checking on your blog now, it should have a rank as your feed looks fine and you joined in Feb.

As for the voting, that process comes in to decide on the IndiBlogger of the Month - not the IndiRank. The IndiRank is completely automated.

BTW, thanks for suggesting the elections 2009 topic on IndiVine.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Check your rank now!

Sandy
Sandy
from Delhi
15 years ago

Thanks Renie, the rank is there now. I am happy u liked the topic I had suggested for IndiVine.

As far as the rank for the blog goes, I do not really think that an automated ranking system is really the solution. And you have already listed down the limitations. So I there has to some aspect of quality that needs to be incorporated into the ranking system.

Tangerine
Tangerine
from Assam
15 years ago

how do i check my indirank?

Except for manually searching thru all the blogs in a said category is there any other way?

Tangerine
Tangerine
from Assam
15 years ago

found it.. no problem.

Hiren Pathak
Hiren Pathak
from Ahmedabad
15 years ago

Hello Renie Ravin,

I am glad to find out that Information Madness is topping the "Technology" tag. Thanks for considering Information Madness in the list. What do I need to make my visitors support this indirank and win this title?

Thanks.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Firstly - congratulations on topping the technology category! Smile

Are you talking about the "IndiBlogger of the Month" title? Well, that depends on the bloggers on this forum - so you should get the bloggers who follow your blog/on your blogroll to join in here!

As for the IndiRank, your readers can only support your blog by following your blog. More readers get you a better rank!

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

sub :  quesiton

if my rank has tag of  politics and entertainment both or say sports and politics both

so in which catagory my blog is ranked.

is it ranked in politics catagory or  is ranked in sports catagory.

this way there is possiblitiy of mistake if he enjoys both ranks.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

That's true - which is why our moderators are busy at this very moment checking the tags of high ranking bloggers to see if the tags suit the blogs! Smart observation. Smile

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

renie happy to know that you already know it and working on it.

if blog suites both then what ?

i am sure in next 24 to 48 hours  everyone wil be asking this.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

If a blog suits both then it will rank highly in both - not much we can do about it. Chances are - if a blogger is passionate, then the content also comes out of passion. So he/she is in all likelihood a deserving blogger for both categories!

sm
sm
from india
15 years ago

yes so for each catagory you will be evauling the blog,

so is it not better to mention more and more tags. for  blog so there are chances that one tag will fair or do good. and will give more rank

joshi daniel
joshi daniel
from mumbai
15 years ago

its a nice move and the prizes look real cool Laughing

Adesh Sidhu
Adesh Sidhu
from Gurgaon
15 years ago

Congratulations Renie! Indi Rank indeed is a great feature.

However, I also checked the ranked of my blog and it says NA. Why it is so? One more reader faced the same problem. Would request you to let me know the way forward.

I could not find Business blog category. Is there a delberate decision to keep business blogs out of this platform or I missed someting some where?

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Hey Adesh, will look into your rank and let you know.

The categories on the IndiRank page are only samples; you can search for any tag on IndiBlogger and it will give you the top ranked blogs with that tag. You can start with this one:

http://www.indiblogger.in/tagsearch.php?tag=business

Amitabh Mukherjee
Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
15 years ago

FAN-bloody-TASTIC!

More than anything else thiis is an excellent directory for finding fellow bloggers.

Sandy
Sandy
from Delhi
15 years ago

Hi Rennie

Can we another section that automatically populates recently updated blogs and also showing the title of the latest post.. We already have a section on the main page that says recently added blogs to the IndiBlogger. Such a feature would atleast give some opportunity to promote our blogs on this forum.

Otherwise I can't really find a way to either promote my blog or read others. Blogadda has similar feature  and is pretty useful.

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Hey Sandy, there was a similar discussion on another thread, where aggregating the content of the blogs on our network was discussed. We have plans of introducing a ping service for IndiBlogger, quite like the one Technorati has.

Amitabh Mukherjee
Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Hi,

Question: What does "na" stand for? No rank available at this point in time or not applicable (as in not valid)?

Two of my blogs have na:

a) Business Case Study

b) Aerospace (DO-178B) Software

Perhaps, this is because I submitted these very recently, what?

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

Dude, read the faqs!

Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Embarassed

Ulhas Vardhan Golchha
Ulhas Vardhan Golchha
from Kolkata
15 years ago

showing my indirank as NA

Karthik DR
Karthik DR
from New Delhi
15 years ago

Hello people, sorry for hiding out for some time. Was out completing a few back end work for blogger meets.

Even though I'm coming in late to this topic, I should say, nice work Renie. I can't imagine a better way to rank the Indian blogs. We can really expect some quality blogs and some excellent writers come to light (I mean a blogs like mine ;-) he he...

Karthik DR
Karthik DR
from New Delhi
15 years ago

Hello people, sorry for hiding out for some time. Was out completing a few back end work for blogger meets.

Even though I'm coming in late to this topic, I should say, nice work Renie. I can't imagine a better way to rank the Indian blogs. We can really expect some quality blogs and some excellent writers come to light (I mean a blogs like mine ;-) he he...

1-20
21-36
LockSign in to reply to this thread