Experiments with Blogs - Show off your blog's unique features

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
12 years ago

I don't take part in Indi blogger discussions that much because I am always busy in experimenting with my blog and hardly gets any time sharing my views with the community. So starting this discussion to share my ideas and get ideas from other bloggers for going beyond traditional blogging.

So far, I have done enough experiments with my blog (both small and big), though I haven't optimized everything that I did coz I moved on to the next once the earlier one finished.

So I want to share with you people my experiments with my blog and I am asking other bloggers out here at Indi Blogger to share their experiments with us so that we can get new ideas for out of the box blogging.

Here is my list of experiments;

1> Created a dynamic news sections by merging feeds from 20-30 different news and niche websites and extracting contet relevent to my niche area. It got me 3 months to figure out how to do it before I found yahoo pipes. I have created four different categories around my niche area and every category pull news from various news networks and then segregates the news based on defined keywords before outputting final news to users.

Here is an example news category section Environment and Nature News

2> A video and documentary section in a subdomain to cater only multimedia content. Its a separate wordpress install and user base is shared across both domains so that users do not need to create different accounts for signing up.

3> Just today, integrated members submitted news section where users can join and submit their news. Example is here community news Though integration was a bit buggy when I started, but finally I did it successfully.

4> Of course Buddypress....... How can I leave buddypress behind when I am trying every thing else. Actually I had neglected buddypress for almost a year as I was looking at other standalone community builder software for developing my community based website around my blog. I almost tried every single popular CMS available in the market but not a single CMS worked out my requirements. So finally landed up at Buddypress and its not that bad!! So I have a community website at Green Community

5> Under Development is a business directory listing page for my blog to offer users to list there blogs and businesses and have a separate listing page for every listing they submit. I hope I will finish it by next week.

6> There are other small tweaks that I did but those were related to template structures of website and aren't related to this discussion.

So guys, that's all what I do all day.. Please share your experiments too and let this forum be a useful resource of ideas..... Let the ideas flow and see what people think and do with their blogs!!

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Ascending
Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Keshavji, I have 5 blogs, and I have included the recent posts section of 3 blogs on my main blog Gurukripa, named as Gurukripa world. So now by only visiting Gurukripa, readers can know what's happening in my other blogs.

I have seperated politics from main blog, which is spiritual now. Also I started newsletter, but I couldn't go further with it. I have a you tube channel also, where I am sharing some videos of temples etc, coz these old temples in small cities and villages are becoming rare day by day.

Also template is very simple, I don't spend much time on this. Disqus commenting system I use. I have pages for links' collection of different articles and poems. I keep changing the things. I try to post some message for readers, changing always.

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
12 years ago

I have completed my directory integration work. Those of you have an environmental or green blog can add your blog to directory now...

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I have used thinsg such as

1--Video page (All multimedia content)

2.Your work my voice 

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

wowSurprised

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Never did anythingLaughing. I want my BLOG to be filled with Feelings and LoveWink. And my dear readers are taking care of itCool.

Keshav Saini
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Pooja It's good that your readers respond well to your feelings. But blogging has evolved to a stage where we can do much more than simply expressing our thoughts and feelings.

And that's true for people like me. I blog bacause I see it as my future so I have to go beyond traditional blogging to maintain a steady solid platform.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Yup Keshav jhi it hasSealed. But, I don't want any new feature to my blog right nowLaughing. I will add one when I myself create itSmile. I have some plansWink.

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
12 years ago

@animesh @Jaidev keep it up... By experimenting I mean doing something of the traditional way of blogging. Complications happen when you leave the work half done.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

You meant doing "something out of the traditional way of blogging"?

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
12 years ago

OOPS!! I didn't know that... But come on we are not spamming the forum.. Its for the community to discuss and share!!

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

That's right but the past experience at the forum says that it opens doors for spammers. So, we normally refrain from giving URLs Smile

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
12 years ago

Hello animesh,

please list your website url. Let us know your customizations. May be we can offer some help

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Keshav, giving URLs in the forum is against rules here. You can find it in my profile. You will see three blogs there. Check for the story blog

LockSign in to reply to this thread