Update the Forum layout

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I was part of the conversation when the members wanted certain changes. Now I am back again.

I had this idea about improving the current layout of the forum to accomodate more topics than they are listed now. This will give the visitor access to more content and the threads that are currently invisible under categories can also be brought out. The Right rail remains the same.

Proposed Forum Layout

The main reason for me to seperate the Content Threads is - I for one may not be interested in all contests and at times these threads are the only top 5 or 10 threads that are visble under Latest Activity. At the same time, by creating a seperate section would mean that all contest related threads would be visible upfront, and not getting burried down under other threads. A win - win.

Yes, there are many other things  that we are still looking for and am listing some of the most needed items.

Features Implemented:

1. Edit Button for replies: Will be active for a maximum of 5 minutes after a reply is submitted. Wink
  2. Threads now have First / Last page buttons. Cool

Features still to be implemented:

1. Inbuilt Editor Smiley - Its about the TinyMCE edition then. The Smileys take time to open and if we have inbuilt Smiley - like we have in IndiTalk, it would be much easier and people may use it more often.
  2. Update: IndiPolice can now send IndiMail users (who are not in their network) by going to their Profiles. Renie and team are working to enable IndiPolice sending emails to all users via IndiMial itself. 
  3. Update: Also required is more rights for IndiPolice to change the Category of the thread, and edit / delete an individual post/replay to a thread if it is found to be flaming.

I am sure many of you have other requirements but lets stick to a very few of the issues that we would like to get addressed at the earliest. I have tagged this post for Admins already. 

Please let us know your views on this layout. 

Edited 8 years ago
Reason: Edited Image link
First 1-20
21-23
Replies 21 to 23 of 23 Ascending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I wish to raise certain points here, my views based on what I've observed and felt could make this place better for the entire community -->

• Newbies section: I feel newbies need a place to feel welcome after joining in. Some good discussive/general introductory threads can be made sticky where the newbies feel free to participate - like this one. Who likes to be surrounded only with threads filled with rules after coming in at a place for the first time? Again, how many actually bother reading them, is a different issue altogether.
  • Link giving should not be a taboo: I can very well understand for the spam links and the Indi Police does a great job with them, but link giving in the forum should not be considered a complete taboo. When I was new here, I remember how the interactions that had ensued in threads like this and this had built up my confidence tremendously. And these are just few of the numerous examples we have. Those of us who have been here long enough, know how it was with regards to link giving. Interactions and sharing are two major aspects of the forum and that is how it should always be. No offence meant to the police  but is it right generalizing the course of things that could happen if someone initiates a thread that requires sharing of post links? I don't really know but I believe we can give a chance sometimes to see how things develop. If the thread indeed shapes up like a link farm, the option of locking or deleting it is always there. But if it doesn’t, think of how much confidence this place has the potential to infuse in so many like me. Smile Again, only my views and I could be wrong.
  • Monthly forum heroes: We can do away with the ‘all time’ forum heroes for ‘monthly’ heroes where people with max. replies in a month can be featured. Features like these can increase and encourage participation of the members currently active. It would be interesting to hear what the heroes and other actives think of this.
  • Good blogging related threads can be made sticky once a while in addition to the contest/rule threads that we already have. This can inspire more people to come up with good threads and carry the discussions in a meaningful manner. Also, different categories can have different sticky threads depending on the number of views, responses, etc.
  • As for the edit button, I personally don’t feel the need for it (not that I don’t require it Tongue out) but if you see, there is already a spell check feature in the editor window. What can be done, additionally though, is that it can be toggled on by default. Those who really really bother, then, can do the corrections needed before hitting the reply button. If something is still missed by any chance, you always can add one more reply below. But have to say, the formatting does go for a toss sometimes. Innocent

Hemal, the layout that you have created is good and very thoughtful but I tend to agree with the views of Ranjith especially when the contest threads are the ones that are the most popular with the members these days. In a way, its only logical that these threads deserve max. attention by staying right there, at the very top.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

One needs to accept what you've said regarding the Edit button. Even I started checking my replies for typos before hitting the reply button. But still, sometimes, they just creep it without my notice.

+1 for point no. 2. Even I'm of the same opinion but since most of the members here are against giving links, I never wanted to be  a lone man supporting those who give links (reasonably ) . Frown

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

creep *in you mean Wink

Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Smile

Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

Monthly forum heroes - that sounds good! Smile

Good blogging related threads made sticky - that problem should be solved once the IndiPolice have more powers on the forum.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago
I support on the link building, and as Animesh said too, it shudnt be taboo. Arti, thank you much for your reply. And I agree with his other comment that people often take advantage of this which is the pain point here. I have always promoted link sharing fir the purpose, but not creating a purpose for link sharing. Many a times people suggest in their own smart way links to their own blogs and while others who share own blog links to help some also get the same treatment. The difficulty is how to judge them, and once its done to control emotional (read angry) replies from those. Hence some control is actually required. I was on another forum and wanted sign up for making a comment... While signing up, there was a lengthy form I had to fill and 4 questions I had to answer after referring their rules and regulations. Its still a very big forum in India with more than 30k members. If I compare IB with them, IB is 110% less strict! The Newbie thread can be interesting if other members are constantly active there... It is like a chain of fire, ignite it once and it will keep the fire on forever... But we oldies should become the fuel!
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I forgot to add this last night:

As for the layout, I am too of the opinion that Contest threads are the ones that are most popular with members these days and hence it makes a strong case for its own section. Which is what you see on my image I posted above as well. 

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Renie: Thanks and good work! Looking forward to the changes! Smile Also, just wanted to add as an afterthought in the case for the monthly heroes -- please do spare a small corner, somewhere... for the 'all timers' as well Foot in mouth

@Hemal: Agreed with what you say on the contest bit, makes sense. Smile

Coming back to the link sharing bit, well... I feel, one of the ways to take a call on ambiguous threads could be to let them stand instead of bringing them down with a conclusion. This way the thread stays open for the general members and a call can be taken on it's authenticity based on the "response". It's like "Janta ka faislaCool  ... that also saves the IndiPolice of taking it on their shoulders every time. If the thread generates interest positively, the thread can remain. If not, then the due course of action can be taken by the IndiPolice.

I believe that there are some things in this forum that have set it apart from the rest of it's counterpart and made it so attractive for all of us. Care should be taken to retain the essence of a place while also moving forward at the same time. Anyways, whatever it is... here's to a bright future ahead! Smile

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

@Arti thanks :) 

I am still of the opinion that some sort of control is needed to contain and may be we can consider public opinion, but it would come with its limitations too. A custom voting fuctionality needs to be developed (ala Like / Dislike) which can be invoked by a moderator if S/he feels its required. We surely want to build a cohesive environment, but not with loosing the importance of the forum. At times some may not see at the long term view - the shorter term view would become more obvious - beating the purpose of improving the platform for future. I am not saying its a not a good idea, infact its a super idea for this platform where bloggers have more say always.. when we go ahead with this, we will need to keep the limitations in mind...

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Hemal, actually what you are saying is something very different than what I was wishing to covey Innocent My bad, I should have been more clear in my reply...

I wasn't indicating towards any voting kind of replies (as in Likes/ dislikes) by members on whether the thread should remain open or not. In fact, I feel that would not be a viable option at all to be put into practice, as you yourself have rightly said.

What I meant by "response" ... was the ‘general response’ that members give once we see the topic of a thread – the normal replies a topic or a thread generates. The kind of interest generated can help you accordingly decide on the nature of the thread and this way, it also becomes the voice of the community and not the IndiPolice alone. All this, I humbly suggest, only for those unclear topics where the IndiPolice might be facing a dilemma in deciding on the reliability. Otherwise, you always have your controls to play with and do the needfuls :)

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I think I understood pretty much the same you wanted to convey first time InnocentSmile

I am still of the opinion that some sort of control is needed to contain and may be we can consider public opinion, but it would come with its limitations too. A custom voting fuctionality needs to be developed (ala Like / Dislike)...

Sorry if it was me who was not clear. Smile

I was suggesting that we would have to have something like a like/dislike to get a sense because without a proof that a topic is not going into the forum it will be difficult to convince in general. Plus, it also leaves an option for possible biasness from IndiPolice's side which, as you well know, has been questioned time and again. Or we have a general "Report" button and show the count of number of people who have reported the thread as something that is against the rules/ethics on which the IndiPolice can take action. Without something that can validate the action of IndiTeam or IndiPolice, it will be a lot difficult to judge a thread for removal and justify it. 

Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Thanks Hemal, I guess, we were just looking at the same thing but with slightly different perspectives. I do get the link now. Smile

I think we already have a report button in place. I wonder who gets the notification though after someone clicks on it. I like the idea of report count being visible to all, I think this can help credit a certain weight in the confidence of both, the IndiPolice as well the thread creator. It can be like an additional tool beneficial for all.

Guess, we were just looking at the same thing but with slightly different perspectives! Thanks, I do get the link now.
Arti
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Oops! Please ignore the last two lines Embarassed

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

At this point of time, I feel that the following two threads under important stuff can be removed from there:

• Deleted threads I don't think that it really needs to be there in that place. When we say important, it needs to be important to a majority of the members or should be an announcemnet which everyone needs to know. The thread is important only for those who need to know why their thread has been flagged, who consitiute a very small group of people.
  • IndiBlogger Twitter Users!  What is the need of this thread when the member profiles have a link to their twitter pages?
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago
I think it also acts as a reminder to others on why any threads be deleted. Or if someone's thread has been recently deleted they would go straight to this thread. About the twitter users, this thread can certainly go since all profiles now have twitters handles for all profiles.
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago

Showing recent topics from 'Off topic' category would be good but I think that there are many other better options available. Also, if you really felt that a three column layout has to be implemented on the forum home page, I personally did not like it much. It doesn't seem to be attractive.

Here are some of my suggestions:

• The reason for the contest pages filling up the important stuff is that it isn't updated regularly. At times, the contest gets over long back, but the topic still remains sticky. I think that the problem can be solved if the sticky threads are removed from there as soon as the contest ends. There usually isn't much discussion after the contest ends. The discussion resumes after the result are declared. At that time, teh thread can be made sticky again.
  • Rather than showing the Off Topic threads on the forum main page, we can have an extra category titled 'Miscellaneous'. Many of the topics do not fit into one of the existing categories and so people are forced to file them under 'Off topic' and the threads do not get the attention they deserve. At this moment, I am unable to recall any threads of that nature but still, I did feel like that in certain cases. Threads which are really meant to pass time can go into the off topic category. ( There aren't many of that kind, so there would be no problem about not getting attention to those threads ) And those, which do not fit into one of the existing categories or are not completely related to blogging can go into the miscellaneous category.
  • Edit button: Have to agree! 
  • Smileys: If you meant the IndiChat way, where it would replace all occurences of :) with :), then we ned to think about it. I at times, prefer to use the non image smileys over the images. ( I really get confused which of these two are emoticons and which of them are smileys ;) ) And, I think that others may also feel the same way. Here again, I have a recommendation, there are commonly used smileys like Smile and  Frown. These should be available with a single click i.e. they should be added to the toolbar. At times, loading the small smileys dialog takes time. P.S. I thought that the editor was built by IB themselves.
  • Next Last Page: These days, there are hardly any discussion threads which cross hundred replies, so there may not be much use of it. But still, having it is also a good idea to cater to those few threads.
  • Looking at the toolbar, I see that there is a preview button. Not sure when they have added it, or was it there since the beginning.... buut after opening the preview, how do we close the dialog. Pressing ESC did not work and clciking outside the dialog also didn't. I have copy everything from the preview and refresh the page.
  • It would also be helpful if we are able to resize the text box of this editor used in replying so that typing lengthier replies would be easier. The resize option is available in the editor used for creating threads.
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

@Ranjith - We normally keep the contest threads sticky until all the prizes have been sent out - which is why they are sticky for a long time. We don't want anyone to think we've forgotten about them! Smile If we have a seperate category for contests like Hemal suggested, that solves the problem.

I feel that having two categories titled "Off Topic" and "Miscellaneous" would be reduntant... can you think of any threads which deserved to have a new cateogory?

Loading the smiley dialog box takes time - I agree! I'll see if there's a workaround. Will also look into having the option to resize the reply textbox.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago
Renie replied to some of your points and i will do for some of the rest :) I have no memory of the preview button so don't know how it functions and cant check now because the editor does not work on my iPad. Having said that, if ur facing the issue as you explained, then this surely is a problem. To resize the text area, if you are using latest browsers like Chrome or FF, then you will find highlighted right corner which you can pull and expand the text area.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
11 years ago
The resize works for replies to threads but not for threads. See this page: http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/post_topic.php
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

hmm, guess its a limitation of the TinyMCE editor then. nonetheless, I hope Renie and team are listening to this as well. 

First 1-20
21-23
LockSign in to reply to this thread