where have all loyal readers vanished?!

sarah malik
sarah malik
from New Delhi
10 years ago

hi everyone. I own a personal blog and it will complete three years this october. 

When I had joined blogging about 3 years ago there used to be a faithful readers group of every personal blogger . you know, a group of 25-30 people who regularly read and commented on each other's blog. And by commenting I obviously don't mean things like 'nice post' or 'beautiful work' etc but genuine and honest feedbacks. 

But today I see people discussing and struggling to increase their page ranks, unique visitors number and what not! I really don't understand if people have simply joined the blogosphere for that.

Most of those in my group left blogging because they felt that comments like the ones you get (if you are lucky to get any!) are equivalent to making fun of their write-ups! Even on indivine, people vote for you if you blindly vote or comment for them. sad that blogging has come down to nothing but 'mutual back scratching and shameless self promoting'.

And now since most of those i know and read have already left blogging, I still am in search for those I can follow and those who believe in blogging for a cause, blogging to learn and share not for hits and PRs!

Requesting you all to reply ONLY if you feel the same. And if you know someone then feel free to share his/her blog link. thank you :) 

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Ascending
The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

On a serious note, irrespective of what kind of blogger one is, if you're looking for real tips and 'tricks'/suggestions for SEO and want to earn properly, shouldn't they check out webmaster forums like digital point and Warrior forum and even Black Hat World (well, they do have white hat SEO section too :P)? Most of the blokes who talk about SEO are outdated tips, even would make things worse considering google always update their search engine mechanism. Its funny that those who preach such SEO tips and those who unfortunately use them, eventually at some point become the victim of panda update and cry about it. People need to be very careful when using such 'tricks' as it may also do more harm than good. Most of these tech bloggers even use automated softwares that prepare content for them and post it. They basically rip a content, use different words and sentence construction method, more or less like a bot. And on top of it, most bloggers like, +1/tweet and comment in eachother's post so there so guaruntee that it really works or not, whether or not they claim- or when people in the comment sections says 'OMG!!!! IT WORKS!!!!! ROAAAAR!!!!". Fun fact: apparently, in a shared hosting if your website is hosted along with other websites that obviously sharing the same IP address hosted in the same server with content that google hates, you get affected by that too? I don't think any of these SEO chaps say that, so there ya go!!!

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

i think thread starter is looking for her long lost readers and is least interested in any seo etc

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I know. I am simply adding confusion to the already confused threaded discussion.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Confusion! 

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

MahaConfusion!!!Cool

Ritu KT
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Sarah - Congratulations on reaching this milestone (in the near future). 3 years is a long time!

Ritu KT
Ritu KT
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Sarah - I was thinking about the same thing last month. I do get a few readers from across the world - they found me during some photo contest or writing contest. But Indian bloggers who I interact with come with the if-you-read-me-i'll-read-you mentality. Not all but many! 

I do not have a problem with that at all. Because i do not read every single post someone writes. I follow around 200 bloggers and open their posts only if the topic interests me.

I do try to be a polite blogger and read people (at least once a week) who read/subscribe to me. I think blogging is a mutual connection. So many people have their own blogs that finding only 'readers' will be a challenge.And whether someone writes a personal/tech/gossip or beauty blog, everyone wants to be read. There's nothing wrong with that.

SEO helps people looking for a particular info land on your blog, it should be a good thing. Sad that too many people focus on tricking readers and use black hat SEO techniques.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

She says, "Requesting you all to reply ONLY if you feel the same." 

This statement seems to suggest she might not appreciate hijacking of the thread. 

sarah malik
from New Delhi
10 years ago

lol TF..not really! I mentioned that in the hope to find some people who would provide me their bloglinks as well as of others who feel the same and sail in the same boat like me.  Still waiting:))

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

@Sarah - Actually it is against forum rules to share links. That is why no one one is sharing.

If we open this up forums for link sharing we will be spammed with the links of the very same blogs you want to avoid.

I think you should find people through Indivine or on FB communities like Real Fiction and comment on those you like. I for one definitely begin to follow people if they comment genuinely on 2-3 of my successive posts and I find what they write interesting. Of course though I might stop following if the person chooses to abandon me completely subsequently for months even though I have started following. Guess most others also do something similar. 

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

What is SEO?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Secret Evil Organisation 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Laughing

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

:)):))

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Oh, I thought it was some weird name for a cake

Ritu KT
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Ranjith - SEO :))

Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

@R ha ha!Laughing

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

By the way, the link Ranjith has given is not a blogger's community. It is our group of aspiring ficition writers - we have a facebook group where we have discussions on various aspects of writing fiction and every month we have a fiction writing exercise where the judges are winners of previous edition and feedback is also received from other members. 

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

My main point was about the feedback that one will get from others. Laughing

I included the details about judges being the winners of previous month and about a new topic every month but I wanted to verify them. I looked for an about page on that blog but didn't find any. Tongue out So, removed those details.

Sorry for the slightly wrong info. Foot in mouth

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

True, Ranjith. I think we have to build an About Page. We are carrying out all our activities through Facebook, effectively excluding all those who do not have Facebook account. I think initially we just got it started just to gauge whether the idea will work. Now it has run successfully for 8 editions and 9th edition is running. So it is time we gave it a more formal look.

Siddharth Muzumdar
from Mumbai
9 years ago

@TF - Would it be possible to provide the link of that Facebook community either here or via IndiMail?

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Well - I think what you say still happens. There are a group of people who regularly comment on each other's blog and connect with each other on Facebook. 

I know some people formally form something called blogger triber or whatever. But I don't like such formal groups as it is artificial. I think your blog social network should form naturally through inter personal connects.

I feel a blog should fulfil 2 criteria for someone to follow.

1. Person's writing should be interesting

2. Person should be following you regularly.

Some may argue that only criteria 1 is suffient and fulfilment of criteria 2 feels like back scratching. But fact is there is no dearth of good writers to follow on blog-o-sphere and there are also books competing for your time. So given the choice between 2 bloggers who write equally well and you having time to read only one of them, you would rather follow the one who is following you.

Very tough it is, to keep readers engrossed. But some are there, some learning to read well. Some yet to be born in blogging arena.
sarah malik
from New Delhi
10 years ago

agree with you...and some left the blogosphere coz they lost hopes and sadly I knew so many of them :( 

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

They bother too much of PR, SEO etc because it has the potential to bring much more traffic than which loyal readers give. High traffic in most of the cases, more traffic results in more money from ads. Now that is for non-personal blogs.

Coming to personal blogs, they should not at all be concerned about seo, pr etc because it no way helps them. I see some people running after them ( not all ). It is probably because they came across to many tech / blogging blogs highlighting the importance of seo without mentioning that it won't work for personal blogs [ in most of the cases ]. 

Coming to those groups of 25-30 people you were talking about, check out this : http://indifictionworkshop.blogspot.in/. Look at the comments on the posts of that blogs. The commenters give a detailed feedback on your writing. Smile

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Thanks for the mention, Ranjith.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Laughing.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

blog promotion...a-ha Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Your petrol won't work here Nandini.  

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

but my point was valid Wink

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

different rules for different people?WinkTongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Different rules for forum hero. Tongue out

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

You will soon loose that position Frown

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

lets ask Indipolice why he is thanking you for mention instead of scolding you for promoting linksWink

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

@Nandini - Indipolice reserves the right not to answer off topic questions.

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

As far as I know about rules, giving links is not a problem here. The rule says that shamelss self-promotion is not allowed which means giving links just for the sake of promoting oneself or creating a thread with that purpose. I remember reading somewhere if there is a blog-post which is inline with the discussin, it is better to provide the link rather than posting the entire content on the thread.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

hmmm Smile

LockSign in to reply to this thread